British Gas - LAte Payment Charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to All

I am new to the site and looking for some advice.

I have just got hold of the list of charges that British Gas have applied to my account over the last 2 years.

My question is, can I deduct them when I make my next payment when I get their invoice?

I was thinking that as long as I paid teh fuel fees but not the charges could they cut me off for not paying their late payment charges?

Cheers

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...

They can not impose a charge that is higher than what they have lossed. i.e. they can not charge a late payment charge.

This is an unfair term.

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1994

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

• 1 month later...

Its wrong that British Gas even try to charge for late payment.

When I paid my last bill I deducted all past charges for late payment. Can I do this? if some one knows.

They have since told me that they are allowed by their regulated bodys to charge these fees for late payment, can some one confirm if this is true?

They can not impose a charge that is higher than what they have lossed. i.e. they can not charge a late payment charge.

This is an unfair term.

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1994

Thats very good info, Thank you. I have deducted all past late payment charges when I paid my last bill, can I do this? or is it a case I would have to pay them and tehn go to court like credit cards?

• 1 month later...

Hi, well BG have bn charging me since 2006 in this way, since I had a big bill and didn't 'make an arrangement to pay' by which they mean agree to pay a given amount on a given date of the month. I made regular payments, just not same amount or same date, and kept phoning them to make sure they could see how it was reducing, until I'd cleared the original bill and was up to date with payments - this was within a year, which I'd told them wd be the case - but by that time over £100 in charges had been added - so of course, BG then reckoned I still hadn't cleared my bill, and continued to add charges to the charges.

I'm writing my preliminary request letter now, and I'm a bit confused too - not sure if it's exactly the same as the bank charges one or not. Looking at JOSH_IOU's post, I gather we're going down the Unfair Terms route,not penalties then? Or are they both? Surely if BG say 'you're getting charged because you're paying late' then it'd be a penalty wouldn't it? And do the OFT rules apply tothem? What about things like Administration of Jusice Act? Consumer Credit Act wouldn't, would it? Are there any other documents I could mention in my letter to frightn them??

Let me kno how the rest of you gt on - there don't seem to be many of us fighting this one yet!! Good luck all,

Sirensinger

(successes so far: HSBC Judgment set aside and charge taken off house, HSBC now to provide real Consumer Credit Agreement, otherwise I escape £7,700 debt - on tenterhooks; Sirensinger v Nastywide Credit Card unstayed n they've entered no Defence,haha!! Judgement awarded to meeee; Tesco've knocked charges off sneakily without telling me n sent remainder of debt to new DCA BUT just realised their CCA not valid, haha again!! watch this space..)

Hi 301Gareth

just noticed what you asked about whether they can cut you off if you pay the gas but not the charges - I'm involved in this situation too, and someone on here earlier, I can;t remember who, said that they can't. My situation's been going on since 2006 and they havent cut me off yet, but keep threatening - once they apparently sent someone to do it - but all I got was a card thru the door cos I was out! (I didn't think they had to get in to cut you off tho?) When I phoned the guy, I told him the situation and he said it must have been a mistake that he got sent, n he would get back to me when he'd found out the details ... you can guess what happened ... nothing. BUT I later found they'd added £50 to my charges fothis 'mistaken' visit!

As I understand it, if you make it clear the account is in dispute, they can't do anything. But because they don't seem to heed the warnings, I'm always afraid they'll do it anyway... I think you should write and make sure there's a big heading that says 'ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE', then at least if they do do anything untoward, you can point it out in court.

Do post what happens, as I'm in exactly the same situatio, and constantly worry that this time I'll come home n find no gas ... n somehow the satisfaction o being in the right doesn't really compensate too much for having no hot water, does it?

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

• 5 months later...

Hello to all

Iam new to this site.

We run a small business and received an invoice from British Gas Business for £50 admin charge. This is because we were late in paying our last electric bill by 18 days. Although we had paid the amount before we received their invoice for £50 they have added the £50 onto our latest bill. When I queried this with them they say the only way to waiver this charge is if we go direct debit with them which I don't want to do.

Legally do I as a business customer have to pay the £50 admin charge even though we have no arrears outstanding with any electric bill?

I have read their "extended terms and conditions" and it would seem that they can charge whatever they want to if we are late in paying. I don't know if this is and unfair term or not. Please help.:confused:

• 6 years later...

What if you have closed your account are you technically not a customer and therefore you do not have a contract with them? What would be the situation there if they added £18 onto your final bill. Can I ask them to;

a) provide an invoice stating exactly what this is for same as you do for credit companies etc asking them to justify the cost and their losses

b) Contra charge them as when I was on D/D they mistakenly took out 2 x £200 payments and I had to sort if out with the bank.

c) ask if I can pay it off at 10p per month

d) Tell them to whistle for it

Any ideas please?