Do we have to que up ??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5852 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This just poped into my head.

If we are in a major supermarket and wanting to buy 1 thing, for example a newspaper. If theres a huge que or a woman with a credit card in front of us wasting valueable reading time could we just put our 30p (the sun) on the cashiers desk and walk out with it ?

What would happen ? What could they do ?

Im guessing theres no law that says we have to go through the stupid checkout system.

I can only see one problem. If they stopped you, how would you prove you paid ?

You need to offer to purchase the product, which then needs to be accepted by the retailer. (Invitiation to Treat). By just leaving the cash the retailer hasn't agreed to sell the product to you and therefore could be seen as theft.

If you goto a decent newsagent and purchase there alot they will usually let you (as they know you), but I wouldn't ever try it somewhere big, or somewhere you go infrequently too.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

You could always ask the person in fron if they can take the goods, you give the money to them and walk away with your goods (something I have done once or twice when really in a rush but it takes nerve). technically, though, that is still pretty much the same as leaving the money on the till.

Some shops, WH Smith usually at Railway stations and Airports usually have an honesty box, where you can take a news paper and just drop the money in a box, no need to wait in line to purchase.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Oh I used one of them once - the fuss that ensued! I bought my usual paper and a magazine, placed the required money in the box and left. One heavy handed security guard later, I was fuming.

He accused me of stealing and said "I saw you putting in a few tuppences on teh security camera". Bloody good camera! Thankfully a customer waiting to use it told him that he saw me putting pound coins in. he carried on trying to make a show. "Magazines are not newspapers - you cant use them for magazines, only newpapers". so I shouted back even louder "It says in here 'Registered at the post office as a newspaper'. There! You can read, can't you?".

A bit more of a shouting match got me really going - stormed back into the shop and demanded a manager. A profuse apology later and I was on my way, but only after the security guard said "I'll be watching you next time you walk in here".

Well, mate. I ain't ever using that store again (It was WH Smith in the Arndale Centre), and even if I did, one wrong move from you and you can kiss goodbye to your job.