Citi Cards - Card holder deceased

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6429 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Morning All

Just received the following from Citi Financial.

My wife's Father died in April and we wrote to all his creditors with copies of the Death Certificate and have received varied replies, some thoughtful and sensitive and some no so. However, this one from Citi just about takes all.

If you were in any doubt about why they act as they do then read on.

Not only did they address my wife (who has a pretty obvious girl’s name) as "Mr" they also addressed her by late Fathers surname, her old maiden name.

My Father-in-Law did not have any defaults on his account; however the outstanding balance is over £6K.

5 July 2006

Mr (Obvious Girls Name!) (Deceased Name!)
AnyStreet
AnyTown
AnyCounty
Postcode

Dear Mr XXXXXX

Re: 1234 1234 1234 1234* Mr XXXXXXXXXX(Deceased)

We acknowledge the receipt of the death certificate for Mr XXXXXXXXX.

Unfortunately, this account was not covered by Repayment Protection Insurance, leaving an outstanding balance of £XXXX.XX

Should you have any further questions regarding this account, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0870 909 4431** or logon to our website Citibank UK - Current Accounts, Savings Accounts, Investments, Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Banking, United Kingdom.

Your sincerely

(Illegible scrawl)

Operations Administration

* Please quote the full 16-digit account number on all correspondence.
** Calls may be monitored and/or recorded for training and quality purposes.

Now I am not especially sensitive but even I can see that this is a pretty poor way to treat a family who have just lost a father. He was 79 and as you can see from the above, this debt was not insured. Notwithstanding any claim Citi may attempt against the estate, if it were up to me they can whistle for it. If they extend credit to people in their 70's and do not take further steps to protect themselves against loss then they are being remarkably short sighted.

I do not advocate irresponsibility toward borrowing or debt but it appears to me that they should look again at their lending criteria and ensure they have adequate cover for this one inescapable eventuality.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

I was of the opinion that if a person dies his debt dies with him? is this not the case anymore?

I QUESTION THEREFORE I AM!! [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally and my advice and that of the Consumer Action Group and the Bank Action Group is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional. Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CAG. Thank you! :p

I have been smoke-free for 4yrs

I was of the opinion that if a person dies his debt dies with him? is this not the case anymore?

Funeral expenses and debts come out of the estate before any beneficiaries are paid - if there is no estate then the creditors have no choice but to write them off.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

• 3 months later...

Hi there...

Sorry to hear about your loss... know how it feels.

difficult one this... I had a similar situation with my late mother, but she had no estate, so they had to go whistle... is there still an active estate? You don't say for cerain, may be easier to try and drum up a few suggestions if I know for certain..

As concerns the incorrect name, unless you actually supplied the false information (which I'm sure you didn't... I have a CitiFinancial Account, they are morons) I'd be tempted to use threats of legal action using such laws as the Malicious Communications Act 1988 (for blatantly failing to check details before sending corresppondence) or the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (as they are causing unnnecessary distress through carelessness; maybe a little tenuous) as bargaining tools....

Maybe worth a try... what does anyone else think?

NatWest - £538 charges refunded... PLUS COMPOUNDED, CONTRACTURAL, UNAUTHORISED INTEREST at 29.69%... ;-)

CL Finance (from GE Money) - £98.28 refunded... INCLUDING COMPOUNDED CONTRACTURAL INTEREST at 29.90%.... :-)

Link Financial (from GE Money) - partial refund (£247.26) from total claim of £410.03... on we go... :rolleyes: