British Gas requesting money- not my bill!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6515 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have received a bill requesting money for a bill. It is address to the previous owner and I had thought this had been sorted out before. I previously told them this wasn't me and was told everything would be taken care of.

It hasn't been, does anyone have an e-mail address for someone high up with some brains to sort out probs??

Thanks

Request was for £296.06 previously told me it was a ghost account - any e-mail address should be fine or a telephone number without me being put on hold for ages!

Help me to help others!

if you contact them by writing informing them that they are billing you incorrectly and that you were not at the address at the time this bill generated, you will be contacting the trading standards, and seeking legal advice. i worked for british gas on the home movers dept.... and when people move they are meant to give the readings and when some one moves in they do the same. you need to ask them to look at this to see what readings the bill was generated on

good luck

lisaxx

if i have helped you at all click please the scales on top right!

ABBEY

11/4 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) SENT OFF

1/6 LBA SENT

22/7 LETTER SENT REQUESTING THEM TO REFUND CHARGES

15/7 STATEMENTS RECEIVED (ALL 6 YEARS WORTH)

20/7 CLAIM ISSUES IN OLDHAM COUNTY COURT.

8/8 CLAIM ACKNOWLEDGED GIVING THEM TILL 21/8.......

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

16/6 Data Protection Act SENT OFF

5/8 t mobile have failed to comply with the Data Protection Act/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) reques ....BRING IT ON BABY!!

7/8 LBE SENT GIVING THEM 7 DAYS TO COUGH UP MY CASH

7/9 FULL REFUND BEEN SENT!!

It is address to the previous owner

So the bill wasn't addressed to you?

If not, and it was addressed to the previous occupier you should not be opening their mail. This is a criminal offence. You need to return the mail to sender.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

i worked at british gas on higginshaw lane in shaw. no mail was actually sent there though..?? send it to the billing dept/customer services the address should be on the back. if it is possible send them a copy of when you moved into the address.... if you live in rented accom then the landlord will be able to give you a copy of the tenancy where it will have the date that you moved in.... this should be enough. if they do keep sending them to you, ( if they are not in your name) send them back to sending ... unknown at this address...

good luck lisax

if i have helped you at all click please the scales on top right!

ABBEY

11/4 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) SENT OFF

1/6 LBA SENT

22/7 LETTER SENT REQUESTING THEM TO REFUND CHARGES

15/7 STATEMENTS RECEIVED (ALL 6 YEARS WORTH)

20/7 CLAIM ISSUES IN OLDHAM COUNTY COURT.

8/8 CLAIM ACKNOWLEDGED GIVING THEM TILL 21/8.......

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

16/6 Data Protection Act SENT OFF

5/8 t mobile have failed to comply with the Data Protection Act/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) reques ....BRING IT ON BABY!!

7/8 LBE SENT GIVING THEM 7 DAYS TO COUGH UP MY CASH

7/9 FULL REFUND BEEN SENT!!

Maybe it is an offence but if you keep returning the mail you then end up with debt collectors chasing we had this with NTL (and its still ongoing, the only post for this person was from them at this address so I knew what it was) I opened it and it was a solicitors letter so far we have returned THIRTY NTL letters and about 10 debt collectors/solicitors ones too so sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and open one, its the way things seem to work these days that when you return mail to sender unopened they just put it in the bin and send out another one rather than looking into it

Maybe it is an offence but if you keep returning the mail you then end up with debt collectors...sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and open one, its the way things seem to work these days that when you return mail to sender unopened they just put it in the bin and send out another one rather than looking into it

I can believe this. We've been in our flat for more than a year now, and yet we still receive Japanese-language business magazines for the tenant from five years back, fitness weekend invitations for the tenant four years back, and protein pill magazines for the tenant from a year and a half back. We always 'Return to Sender' every one, but get them with depressing regularity.

We learned our lesson about not opening previous tenants' mail when we received the 'fitness weekend' woman's summons for an unpaid parking ticket. Huge amount of money for a student and a minimum-wager. We had a very hard time convincing the snotty council that I wasn't her, had to send ID, utility bills, inform the DVLA that she hadn't changed her address...now anything that has a company/sender name that we don't recognise, we have to look.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Sorry about the mis-understanding it was to my address I meant the previous owner lol. I'll find the address and get on with it... thinking of charging £30 for my time and letter! Why should I waste my time when it should only take a call

Thanks though keep you posted

Help me to help others!

When I got a lot of mail for previous peple at this address I write on the front "Please return to sender - PTO" and on the back I underline the return address and write "no longer at this address, please update your database, thanks". Usually after two or three returns I no longer get them.

John

Sorry about the mis-understanding it was to my address I meant the previous owner.

There's no mis-understanding - this is how I understood it.

You should not open this mail. It is a criminal offence.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Credit reference agencies etc are only entitled to hold information about you and anybody you are financially linked to (e.g. spouse), not details of previous occupiers.

There is no such thing as the mythical "credit blacklist" where an address can be singled out.

I can't stop you from breaking the law - I am just warning you that doing this is in fact a criminal offence.