Quisitrix Vs The Abbey

Quisitrix
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6466 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We ran out of money on Sunday. We very nearly ran out of food yesterday. All because Abbey charged me over £120 on Saturday. I've been charged every month this year and practically all the charges were incured either as a result of previous charges or because my benefit is paid weekly but my direct debits are monthly.

I've been reading this site for a few months now and looking forward to filing my own claim but now I realise that I may never have enough money to file. At the moment I can't afford to feed myself if I want my kids to eat too. I definately can't afford to pay £10 so I can have the pleasure of Abbey dicking me around for 40 days just on the off chance that the might decide to let me know how much they owe me.

I don't know what to do. Abbey aren't just taking my money they're stealing my health. I have Credit Cards with Egg, Morgan Stanley and Captial One. Should I try to get refunds from them first? Maybe if I offer to settle for reducing all the charges to £12 I'll get enough back to fund legal action against Abbey?

Can anyone help me?

Q

You could try with one of the cards first. Some of them - I'm sorry I don't know which provide the info without the £10. My credit card (Halifax T/A Aqua) did for me. However, you still need to pay to get it to court.

Good luck

;) nn

FAQs: click here: http://READ THESE

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

Abbey: SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

BoS M/card SETTLED 27/09:lol:

Aqua CC (Halifax) SETTLED 28/06 :lol:

GMAC Request for refund 14/6; Prelim 31/7; LBA 11/9

First National Mortgage Data Protection Act sent 14/6 Statements 26/7

Cap 1 - SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

Abbey x 2: 50% offer refused AQ filed

Hello Quisitrix,

I don't think you need worry. As I understand it, you may be exempt from court fees if:

you or your partner receive Income Support, you or your partner receive Pension Credit guarantee credit, you receive Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance, your gross annual income is below a set limit and you receive Working Tax Credit with a ‘disability element’ your gross annual income is below a set limit and you or your partner receive Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit between you

If you show that a payment of a court fee would involve undue hardship to you, the Court Manager may remit (say you do not have to pay) the fee.

This is taken from the HMCS website (Moneyclaim).

With regard to the £10 for the DPA request, you could try just asking for copies of your statements. When I began my claim, I had most of my last 6 years statements except for the first 2 years (if that makes sense). I requested copy statements via their online banking system and when they didn't arrive as promised (they said in a couple of weeks), I kept phoning and phoning them and being a right nuisance. I the end I got my missing statements in just over 3 weeks and I didn't pay a penny.:)

I don't have any credit cards so I am not sure how hard they play ball but I think I have read on here somewhere from someone who works for Capital One and they said that are generally offering to reduce peoples charges to £12 instead of £20 but that doesn't really put more money in your pocket, just makes the money you already owe a bit less.:(

• Confused 1

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk

The Consumer Action Group

Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.

Your jewellery is nice! Just checked your website out. Im guessing you make it yourself?

Thank you. Yes I do.

Though I don't make as much as I'd like to. It's impossible to make anything with beads while the kids are around. They both take after their Mum - facinated by anything shiny. I've been doing some more conventional crochet but I haven't been able to get it up on the site.

Q

you're not the first person or the last to be stung in this way by the banks, i too have had the absolute nightmare of trying to figure out how to feed my daughter and myself/wife, because when i go to pay for the shopping on my switch card it gets refused because of a bank charge i didnt know about (they stopped sending me letters about them a long time ago)

take heart from the fact that this may be an opportunity to get some of your life back, from them,

btw i'm pretty sure that the banks cant touch your benefit money, not sure about scotland but im pretty damn sure thats the case down here

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

you're not the first person or the last to be stung in this way by the banks, i too have had the absolute nightmare of trying to figure out how to feed my daughter and myself/wife, because when i go to pay for the shopping on my switch card it gets refused because of a bank charge i didnt know about (they stopped sending me letters about them a long time ago)

take heart from the fact that this may be an opportunity to get some of your life back, from them,

btw i'm pretty sure that the banks cant touch your benefit money, not sure about scotland but im pretty damn sure thats the case down here

Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure what you mean about the banks not touching my benefit money. This week it got paid into the bank and disapeared into the black hole of charges.

Hopefully next week I shall have some money.

Q

I thought I'd try to avoid the DPA troubles and request the back statements online. I got a microfiche letter and Have filled in a form allowing them to debit £10 from my account. As soon as the money comes out of my account I shall start bugging them for my statements. It doesn't matter too much if they take their time over it. I'm in Scotland so I can only claim up to £750 in the small claims court. The statements I already have show charges above that.

Q

I thought I'd try to avoid the Data Protection Act troubles and request the back statements online. I got a microfiche letter and Have filled in a form allowing them to debit £10 from my account. As soon as the money comes out of my account I shall start bugging them for my statements. It doesn't matter too much if they take their time over it. I'm in Scotland so I can only claim up to £750 in the small claims court. The statements I already have show charges above that.

Q

if that is the case you could do several claims (non concurrently of course) say one for each year, that way the individual claim amount should be below the threshold amount for small claims track, and eventually you should get all that is owed to you

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well it turned out I couldn't afford to post the letter. Now I can. I've adjusted the letter so I thought I'd post the adjusted form here so you guys can check it out before I make a fool of myself.

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXXXX

My request:

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last 3 years

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations. If you say that they are not then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of my breaches in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs.

Additionally it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

These charges are causing me considerable discomfort. The benefits that are paid into this account are my only source of income and in paying these charges I find that I am running out of money. Last month we very nearly ran out of food and when this month’s charges are paid I expect to have difficulty feeding my children and I will probably have to go without food myself for a couple of days.

Your responsibilities:

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary. I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them. You concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.

What I require:

I calculate that you have taken £1,981.00 plus interest of £19.75 that you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. The total is £2,000.75 and I request full payment of that amount. This includes the charges that will be taken from my account on the 17th of August.

My targets to resolve this matter:

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting unconditionally my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond or you do not respond positively within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Yours faithfully,

I requested my statements for the past 6 years through their interent banking site (not sure if you've got access).

Although I had to follow it up with a telephone call on the phone banking site I did get copies of my statements without having to pay the £10 DPA fee.

It did take about 10 weeks to get the info through but it is an alternative that you could try. It worked for me and I've just sent off my preliminary letter to reuqest a refund.

• 5 weeks later...

Got a letter from Abbey. they are currently investigating my complaint and they are sorry for the delay. Their reserch is taking longer than expected.

I wonder if they actually bother to read any letters that don't come from the court?

H

I went' to the cash machine today and found a whole lot more money that I was expecting in my account.

They appear to have refunded 25 charges. I'm not really feeling up to checking if that's all of it right now as I am a bit drunk from my birthday night out.

And the mad fools haven't sent me a letter or anything. As far as I can tell the money is mine.

Q

1st i cant beleive they left you destitute! that is sooo unfair, i woudl probably have arranged benefits to go into another account ( post office do one if oyu have been turned down with other banks)

2nd welll done you on getting some cash out of them!

3rd happy birthday :)

me against the abbey Paid in full (donation made)

me against the woolwich Paid in full(donation made)

me against HSBC Paid in full(donation made)

beware the scrapbooker, for she has a long memory and sharp knives :lol: