B & Q - Right to return?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took delivery of a bathroom suite on 10 July. When my bathroom fitter arrived to install it (14/07) he informed me that the suite would not fit as the bath was not a standard size i.e. 1700x700mm. The actual size of the bath is 1700x750mm.

As my bathroom is a very small room I had taken my measurements to the store and was advised by the salesperson that this particular suite would definately fit. I went back to the store on 14/07 to ask for a refund and was advised that I needed to phone their customer service number to arrange to have the suite returned. On telephoning the given number I was put through to the actual store where the assistant manager has refused to take the suite back! Her excuse is 1) This is an expensive suite and we wouldn't be able to sell it on and 2)We should have checked the size when buying.

I pointed out that I had taken my measurements with me at the time of buying and that her salesperson had assured me that it was a standard sized bath. Additionally, the advertised suite does not show the size of the bath in their brochure or online (although all their other ranges do). Indeed no sizes were shown instore either. How was I suppose to know the size of the bath differed from the standard if her salesperson did not mention it or if this information is not pointed out in their advertising material?

I am awaiting a return call from the store manager but would be grateful if anyone could advise me if I have a right to return this suite and have my money refunded.

Many thanks

You will do. You were relying on the information given to you by the saleperson, who presumably is authorised and knowledgeable to make the judgement as to the bath's suitability. Relevant legislation is Sale of Goods Act, Section.13.

As to whether B&Q can or cannot sell it becasue of the price, that is their problem and totally irrelevant to the situation.

• Haha 1

Gyzmo

Thank you so much for your reply and kind advise. You are a star.

The manager still hasn't phoned me back so if no call today I will get on to Head Office and complain about the shoddy customer service too.

Thanks again for taking time out to reply, it's very much appreciated.

Stick to your guns and do let us know how you get on.

It may be worth reporting the matter to Trading Standards (via Consumer Direct). Companies usually start playing ball when such matters are reported to them.

B&Q have just changed their returns policy from 28 days to 90 days.

I would contact another store, say your are ringing to confirm what you should do for your mum who has got this bathroom suite.

record the call if possible.

once you know their true position on this which is anything purchased like your bathroom, anything over purchased or unused can be returned that why i was able to buy an extra 400 cupboard unit and take it back as it would not have fitted.

you could choose to buy 2 sizes of bathpanels to get the right one and return the one you didnt need.

I think you have A very rude and awkward manager once you have your position secure report her.

If there is no employees on here i can ask my friend that works for them.

If so Send me a PM of the product numbers etc just so I can get the facts relayed correctly.

I would just point out that the returns policy that you are quoting probably does not extend to special orders.

Hi Pat

yeap could well be a problem, didn't read it as a special order, some extra info would help narrow it down.

If its in store delivered its returnable, no different to you taking it away your self, but if it was a specially ordered size there could be a problem.

Don't think B&Q have this service will be asking now out of pure curiosity

Fuzzy :)

HIyA Free spirit

I have confirmed in B&Q that there is no product sold in B&Q that is not returnable. ( except managers specials reductions)

However there could be an issue of who measures it but only if an employee wanted to be really awkward.

However unfitted/unused you should not be having any trouble.

You need to advise you want the bath collected and replaced in the correct size and offer to pay any monetary difference.

Also you need to do this through Head office due to the lack of concern from the branch manager.

The reselling of the Bath does not come into this at all, thats just a fob off.

In my own opinion B&Q should not offer help regarding sizes and fitting if they can not accept responsibility for some mistakes.

Also have a look on your order sheet, sizes are usually printed on them.

Hope this helps

Fuzzy