Bank Manager agrees (charges are unlawful)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently had a face to face interview with my HSBC bank manager.

I said to her did she know that these were unlawful.

She said yes then looked at me as if to say what have i done

she told me i should right to the quality control team as they have taken the power off the branches to return charges.

Can any one confirm this/?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

Yes - the penalty charges are unlawful, so in that respect HSBC score a point for being truthful.

As for QCT taking powers away, this is garbage. However, it is likely that somewhere down the line your claim and queries will be passed to this department, so all she was really doing was displaying the first delaying tactic that you will encounter.

Whatever happens, you will get your money back - good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

There was no doubt in my mind the charges were unlawful.

I left Northern Rock because of this.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

Some employees (like me) know the score, others make ignorant commetns without first looking up the facts.

With Nationwide I know we can't refund ANY charges at branch level unless the charge was our fault (ie we made a mistake and the customer should never have been charged). I believe this is similar in other banks and building socites.

It is supposed to be more efficient but what it actually means is that, when a customer complains, they get a standard template letter whiche usually addresses none of thier concens.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

• 2 months later...

penalty charges are unlawful under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. This is law and cannot be ignored by banks. Use these terms when claiming back bank charges.

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

Are they unlawful? I thought the two big cases went in the Banks favour?

When did the court say the charges were unlwful? Can someone send me the thgink please.

There have been a few cases is which the defendant (the bank) has actually turned up and the charges have been found to be unlawful. One was in N.I. if I recall.

The two 'big' cases to which you refer (I think) are the two times when LTSB didn't turn up and the claimants case was thrown out for 'embarrased PoCs' - not a victory, simply the claimant wasn't prepared and the case was thrown out - i.e. NOT heard.

Not a win for either side legally.

Penalty charges ARE unlawful - that has been so since 1896 in English contract law.

The difficulty is getting a bank to disclose the information about how they arrive a their figure to see if the charges are a fair reflection of their costs of a customer's breach of contract.

I think it's obvious that it doesn't cost 39 quid to NOT pay a direct debit - but until the court orders disclosure (which has happened, and of course was followed quite quickly in every instance of this, with thebank paying up in full and thus not case to hear), it has not been proven - despite having a few cases won in a 'lower' court ,in the eyes of the law as no precident has been set.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

• 3 months later...

Well, they don't make the law, sadly the government do. Judges judge that the law has been abided by, and if he were to look at penalty clauses v liquidated damages, he would see that charges are not lawful as they don't truly reflect the damage caused by a customers breach of contract.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I spoke to a judge. He said they make the law, not Bank Managers. and that charges in ARE lawful.

Not quite true!!!

The house of lords formulate the law, which is then passed through legislature, House of parliment, voted on, then passed as law through the state. Unless a state of emergency exists. Not plausable for bank charge's is it, Really!!!

Jamesrap look what happened to Northern Rock after you left!!:D

Not very conducive ist really.

Never mind in about 6 months when the credit crunch really hits the UK, you might revise that statement, .... when youre out of a job!!!!!!!!!

Not very conducive ist really.

Never mind in about 6 months when the credit crunch really hits the UK, you might revise that statement, .... when youre out of a job!!!!!!!!!

I do not know why I should lose my job :confused: I am not working in the banking sector!