Bank account without credit check

dave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know of a basic bank account that doesn't do a credit check?

I have tried Natwest (step account), but the incompetence is staggering - not a good sign.

They have lost my application twice, I've just phoned to ask for a replacement t&c agreement etc... (as the last one was ruined in the water damage I had the week before last) and guess what? They have no record of it. My partner also got an account with them before I applied, and it took 9 weeks to get a pin for her card!

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I think they all do a check but they shouldn't credit score for a basis account.

Coopcashminder seems to be recommended as is Nationwide flex but the latter doesn't come with even a basic debit card.

I applied for the Natwest step online and had everything through within two weeks, and I've not had any other probs with them.

NatWest - Settled in full 22/05/06

RBS- Prelim sent 9/05/06 £1,147

£500 offer 27/05/06, rejected 30/05/06

LBA sent 25/05/06 :razz:

MCOL 15/06/06

Defence received 20/07/06

Settled in full 01/09/06 wahey!!!!!!!!!

Same here - applied for Natwest Step online, everything done and dusted within a couple of weeks. Although, saying that, they've still not sent me a pin number...

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

same here with Natwest Step - applied on line, forms through within a couple of days, and everything sorted in a couple of weeks - just waiting pin number, but it's only been a few days since I sent slip back.

It must have just been the start of your 'bad patch' Dave - things can only get better :D

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Hi All

Gotta say Co-Op cashminder account is so easy to set up.

Go to a co-op bank, take some basic ID, drivers licience, utility bill (IN YOUR NAME IT HELPS).

Tell the customer services person your credit is shot to pieces and you want a cashminder account.

I have lived in my house (owned, well mortgaged) for 8 years they did an "identity search". The account was approved in four days. Debit card "landed on the mat" in 10 days I now have internet and telephone banking set up. I really can't fault them so far.

Hope this helps.

Paul

ps you can pay money in and withdraw cash through the Post office too.

• 2 years later...

Hi there - just seen this. . . although it's very old. . .

Just in case anyone finds this on a search engine (like I did) the Halifax Easycash account do not do any kind of credit check whatsoever - it's technically a kid's account is why. It comes with Visa Electron too, so you have a certain amount of flexibility with it.

After 6 months, they contact you (providing you've been well bvehaved!) and offer to try and upgrade the account for you.

Hope this all helps,

Grindered

- Co-op do credit check.

- Barclays don't credit check on their basic account but no standing orders (yes to direct debits), no online banking, very limited telephone banking (no transfers, only checking balance and recent transactions) and cashcard (not debit card).

- Halifax easycash don't credit check. Full telephone & internet banking. VISA Electron debit card. Can't deposit money over the counter though, only through their machine (which is cute, it prints off small pictures of the cheques).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

- Co-op do credit check.

- Barclays don't credit check on their basic account but no standing orders (yes to direct debits), no online banking, very limited telephone banking (no transfers, only checking balance and recent transactions) and cashcard (not debit card).

- Halifax easycash don't credit check. Full telephone & internet banking. VISA Electron debit card. Can't deposit money over the counter though, only through their machine (which is cute, it prints off small pictures of the cheques).

lol - it's true those scans of the cheques are really cute!

The deposit is registered on your account instantly with the machines in the Halifax though - and therefore are just the same as over the counter. Also, most branches, although they say they don't, will see you over the counter with the Easycash!

Thanks,

Grindered

- Co-op do credit check.

Just been accepted for the Barclays basic bank account. They do standing orders and direct debits and also I'm due a Visa Debit card too. This is after being rejected by the Co-operative Bank.

Just been accepted for the Barclays basic bank account. They do standing orders and direct debits and also I'm due a Visa Debit card too. This is after being rejected by the Co-operative Bank.

That isn't a Barclays Basic account. I know I have one. That's a current account, maybe without any credit given, but it's a current account nonetheless. I'm also guessing they did a credit check on you for that account.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

That isn't a Barclays Basic account. I know I have one. That's a current account, maybe without any credit given, but it's a current account nonetheless. I'm also guessing they did a credit check on you for that account.

It's the Cash Card Account and there's no credit check. There's absolutely no chance I would have got one otherwise!

It's the Cash Card Account and there's no credit check. There's absolutely no chance I would have got one otherwise!

Well the cash card account doesn't come with a debit card or do standing orders. I know, I've had one for over two years. I suggest you check that you're really getting a cash card account. Either that or you've been misinformed by the staff at Barclays (wouldn't be the first time!).

Hi I managed to get a Nat West gold account and a savings account and that is with 5 defaults and mortgage arrears on my credit file. I have since stopped the gold bit and just have the current account with a cheque book. I havent got a cheque guarantee card yet though they said about 6 months and i will get one. This account does both standing orders and dds

• 7 months later...

Hi

I opened an account with the co-op - cashminder

all I did was phone them, answer a few questions and they opened the account straight away. I didn't have to produce ID.

I can have standing orders and DD's. I dont have a cheque book but have got visa electron card and online banking - Simples!

The only pain is that I dont have a local co-op branch so have to pay in at the post office (oh the queues!)

My credit file is shot to pieces, I almost pray for somebody to steal my ID, they might improve it :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still dodging the bailiffs - 2 years to go! It looks like Halifax Easycash don't do a credit check, but the small print in their T&C still says they may share info with credit reference agencies. Even if they open an account for me without an initial check, do they subsequently pass my info on to an agency? I'm staying with a friend for the winter who's happy for me to use her address, so I *really* don't want heavies turning up at the door.

Any advice much appreciated, thanks