Equifax - anyone else experienced this extra security?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6246 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Has anyone else had the same experience with Equifax?

Sent off my £2.00 for a credit report and received a letter by return stating that as "Equifax put a high premium on security of information" they require me to fill in a form - an "Address Validation Form" and supply two of the following documents:

Utility bill

Bank or credit card statement

Letting/lease agreement

Is this normal? The thought of sending off a copy of my bank or credit card statement which has account numbers and balances etc makes me feel uncomfortable. When requested, Experian just sent my credit details when I sent the form plus fee.

Any advice? Many thanks.

I'm not sure to be honest - I've had problems obtaining my credit report and yesterday was advsied through annualcreditreport.co.uk to send off letters and the fee to Equifax and two other companies with full name, DOB, current and previous address so that's all I've done....!

It is becoming normal, that they want to assure themselves that the person applying for the report is actually the person that is the subject of the report. Of course, all the additional data you send by way of verification will ALSO be added to your credit file to make it more accurate, but it's a clever ploy.

My OH applied for his file last month ( I want to add him to the mortgage but didn't want a financial association until I was sure all of his dodgy pasy credit was definitely not showing ). We got a letter back asking him to phone them to confirm a couple of things but no request for documents

You can join experien free online without providing any of these security measures. If you cancel before the month's trial period is over it hasn't cost you a penny.

Yes my bro and his partner had to provide ID, although they sent a bankc statement which was too old with a note to say that that was the most recent one they had.

I can see where they're coming from and it suggests to me these srt of check should've been in place to begin with, otherwise there is nothing stopping some random person getting a copy of your credit report, well apart from the fact it is a crime!

On the whole I think it is a good thin BUT they should make it prominant on thier website and have the same controls for people paying the monthly fee. Strange how principls go out of the window when there's money to be made...

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

"Equifax put a high premium on security of information" they require me to fill in a form - an "Address Validation Form" and supply two of the following documents:

Utility bill

Bank or credit card statement

Letting/lease agreement

Absolute B....s... they are merely seeking as much info. as possible about people, to build up a unique database. They just have to verify your details on the voters register and if it matches they shouldn't ask for any more.

Dear All

Many thanks for all your very interesting and informative responses! Security is one thing but from some answers, I hint a little bit of Big Brother creeping in! Surely if you send a cheque that has to be cashed through your bank account and, as already said, you can check voters registers that should be enough for the company. I am sure if fraudsters are determined enough, they can crack any system, to obtain information. Just a pity it is made difficult for the rest of us.