Sainsbury's Europarks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4996 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I''m new and just wanted to check I am taking the right action.

I received a ticket for allegedly parking too long (2.5 hours) in the above at Wolves (not returning, though), I appealed and lost, and now wish to take them through the small claims court.

The fact is I drove through Sainsburys but then decided to immediately go to Asda on the other side of the city first, and bought a ticket at Asda for 2 hours. I then returned to Sainsbury's for 30 mins later and bought some items there.

The parking attendant managed to 'clock' (his words) my drive-through early on but 'conveniently' did not 'clock' the actual time I was parked.

I immediately appealed against the fine providing a covering letter, Asda paid ticket, Sainsburys receipt, cheque, and prepaid return envelope. (I have a copy of everything, although 'conveniently' again they did not return the original Asda ticket).

I intend to claim the price of the fine back plus costs - my time, postage, materials. Has anyone took this approach before?

Please advise

Thanks,

Cablechap

Hi All,

I''m new and just wanted to check I am taking the right action.

I received a ticket for allegedly parking too long (2.5 hours) in the above at Wolves (not returning, though), I appealed and lost, and now wish to take them through the small claims court.

The fact is I drove through Sainsburys but then decided to immediately go to Asda on the other side of the city first, and bought a ticket at Asda for 2 hours. I then returned to Sainsbury's for 30 mins later and bought some items there.

The parking attendant managed to 'clock' (his words) my drive-through early on but 'conveniently' did not 'clock' the actual time I was parked.

I immediately appealed against the fine providing a covering letter, Asda paid ticket, Sainsburys receipt, cheque, and prepaid return envelope. (I have a copy of everything, although 'conveniently' again they did not return the original Asda ticket).

I intend to claim the price of the fine back plus costs - my time, postage, materials. Has anyone took this approach before?

Please advise

Thanks,

Cablechap

Why did you pay in the first place? Was there a discounted figure if paid within a certain time.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Yes, and I was just about to go on holiday so needed to act fast, and so didn't have time to search for help on web first. Up until last night the money had not gone out of my account, so I could stop it at a cost of around £10, which sort of defeats the object. In hindsight I realise I should not have included payment.

Anyway, it is not really a question of the money just the principle. I think they either employ idiots in the appeals dept, or they play the percentages, taking as much money as possible outweighing any court actions against them.

Back to my question, can I take them to the small claims court to get the cash back plus costs? Surely if I do that the emphasis is on them to prove (wrongly/lie) that I was parked for the alleged time.

If it was a private car park, I think you should look at this:http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-wardens/65341-private-parking-companies-charges.html

And then cancel your payment to them (even if it cost's you a tenner, put it down to experience).

Also NEVER send originals of tickets or anything. They will always lose them so it's a little less evidence against them.

I paid cash at Asda, but I do have a 2 sided photocopy of the paid parking ticket. Asda operate a coin system, £1 for 2 hours, redeemed after purchases, and I still have my receipt, detailing the time I was there.

This morning I cancelled the cheque with the Lloyds Bank for a fee of £10. Another kettle of fish - aren't banks supposed to only charge you the actual cost of cheque cancellation - no doubt somebody has an actual figure somewhere.

I'll update as and when I start receiving Eurocarparks threatening letters. I would look forward to meeting them in court as long as it was local to my home.

Thanks,

Cablechap

Another kettle of fish - aren't banks supposed to only charge you the actual cost of cheque cancellation - no doubt somebody has an actual figure somewhere.

This is not a penalty charge, but a quoted (and accepted by you in proceeding) charge for providing a service.

• 1 month later...

As promised, I have received my first Euro car parks threatening letter today.

They want an additional £25 admin fee for the bounced cheque now totalling £75 within 14 days or they will refer me to a Dept Collection Agency.

Should I ignore, or respond bringing their dumb-ass attention to my original letter and evidence proving I was not in their carpark for over 2 hours.

Your thoughts please.

I would try and speak to the managers of the stores and see if they can get Euro Car park to cancel the parking fee on your behalf. Be firm but polite and tell them exactly what happened, that you have proof of receipts and there was a mistake made.

GA

Read the link provided by joe above - it's the sticky at the top of this forum. Also, search this forum for Euro Car Parks or even 'private ticket' - there's plenty of them - just remember, this is a civil matter, not a criminal one, and they need to take you all the way to the Small Claims court if they want to you pay up. For that, they need to be able to prove everything, not you.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Thanks for the replies.

I have gone through most of the information listed, but could not find an example similar to my own where someone has been accused of overstaying in carpark when it is simply untrue. Remember I have not broke their contract and therefore owe them nothing.

I take on board the fact they are going to chase me, but probably never go to court.

What I really would like is to see them receiving a Court fine, and receiving an apology and compensation....

Am I, or more likely Trading Standards in a position to take them to court for fraud? They are trying to obtain money by deception by lying and falsely accusing me of breaching the contract.

• 3 years later...

We had quite a moment in Sainsburys in The Angel Islington..

I had gone shopping with my wife and her mother (Who is disabled and takes ages to shop) and we parked in their carpark.

As she is disabled, we tried to wait for a disabled bay for a while, there were 5 bays all taken up, 3 of which were cars WITHOUT blue badges! we eventually gave up and parked in a normal spot, when we tried to leave the carpark the machine that reads the smartcard they give you said we had gone over the 2hr limit and was charging us £70!!!! we spoke to the attendant but he said nothing could be done but we should appeal..

Has anyone else had the same problem? were going to ring them in the morning in the hope they will help, £70 is a lot of money!!!

Does having a blue badge mean anything in one of these carparks??

Thanks in advance..

Tony..

Hi Fraggle. After a few months lurking on the forum I decided to register and reply to your post. Mainly because I received an invoice (nothing more) from EURO. After finding this forum I went down the route of ignoring the letters. Several months later I still have my house, my car, all my possesions and the £70 they asked for. In addition I now own three pieces of cheap A4 paper with an even cheaper print layout. Here's what you'll experience in the next couple of months.

1. A reassurance and determination to ignore this joke attempt to extort money.

2. Letter One when you'll waiver and come back here. Reassured and more determined

3. Letter two. You think ' Exactly the same as the ones in the letterchain.' (Follow link)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2214803

4. Then you'll start to enjoy yourself. Resist the urge to bait them tough to do it may be. Look forward to more letters and feel sad when its all over. You'll use your new found knowledge to educate others and may even deliberately park there to start it all over again.

I know this and so do others here because it seems we've all experienced it.

Whatever you do. DON'T PAY. There's nothing further they will do.

Many thanks for the response, but unfortunately we HAD to pay to get OUT of the carpark!! it was a barrier with a smart card that you get 'validated' when you pay for your shopping!

Stuffed me thinks... but how on earth are they able to run it in such a way? also, how on earth is their fee even in the remotest way legal!!!

Many thanks for the response, but unfortunately we HAD to pay to get OUT of the carpark!! it was a barrier with a smart card that you get 'validated' when you pay for your shopping!

I know that I can be a bit bloody-minded at times, nut I would have simply stay there blocking the barrier until they opened it manually.

Stuffed me thinks... but how on earth are they able to run it in such a way? also, how on earth is their fee even in the remotest way legal!!!

You're kidding?!

You'll need to sue Euro Car Parks. This will cost £30 (which you'd get back) plus spend 30mins in small claims court (v. informal). I'd be surprised if they turned up though to be honest.

First step is to see if Sainsbury's own the land or not. You could ask the manager in the store. Whilst there, get a photo of the signage.

Then we need to state our case to Euro. Email me and I'll tell you what to write in your letter.

You're kidding?!

You'll need to sue Euro Car Parks. This will cost £30 (which you'd get back) plus spend 30mins in small claims court (v. informal). I'd be surprised if they turned up though to be honest.

First step is to see if Sainsbury's own the land or not. You could ask the manager in the store. Whilst there, get a photo of the signage.

Then we need to state our case to Euro. Email me and I'll tell you what to write in your letter.

Could be interesting.

Warning: Freemen of the Land Operate here. Think twice before accepting 'legal advice'.

• 3 weeks later...