Help requested

Pillowatrick
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have today received a letter from Barclays Customer Relations to my preliminary letter, which I sent to them on 20 March:

Dear XXX

We are sorry you have had to contact us about the level of service you have received from Barclays. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to do so.

We are looking into your concerns and will let you have an answer or update as quickly as possible, but no later than 20 April. In the meantime if you wish to discuss this matter further please call us on XXX

I have enclosed a leaflet explaining how Barclays works to resolve complaints.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

A very apologetic letter, but is it stalling for time? Should I still send a letter before action when the deadline comes, on 3 April, if I have not received a reply?

If you have set a timetable - stick to it. The consensus on the group is that the banks timetable is of little or no consequence to the matter in hand.

If you say 14 days, then 14 days it is. If the bank says 28 days, that's fine, they can do what they like, but you will still be writing to them after 14 days.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Good luck.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Responding to the title of your post: How is THAT a positive letter?

You asked for a refund, they answer is that they're looking in your concern. That is the standard fob-off (and I say "fob", I actually mean "f...") they sent to everyone. It means they're not even gracing you with a personal answer.

YOU set the timetable now. You gave them 14 days. At the end of the 14 days, LBA giving them an extra 7 days (just to give them extra grace). At the end of the 7 days, sue.

Responding to the title of your post: How is THAT a positive letter?

You asked for a refund, they answer is that they're looking in your concern. That is the standard fob-off (and I say "fob", I actually mean "f...") they sent to everyone. It means they're not even gracing you with a personal answer.

YOU set the timetable now. You gave them 14 days. At the end of the 14 days, LBA giving them an extra 7 days (just to give them extra grace). At the end of the 7 days, sue.

I totally agree with bookworm!

I thought you was going to say they refunded your charges, plus an extra 50% on top! now that would be positive!! :lol:

How is that i positive letter, i think your going to have to toughen up a bit.

Best wishes

Natasha

Abbey-received DPA letter on 13/03, received some breakdown till 2004 waiting for the more recent ones(where most charges occurred)

sent reminder email on 17/4/06

called abbey on 19/04/06 to remind them:rolleyes:

sent another email on 26/04/06:mad:

Approx charges £2500

received £500 refund in dec 06

sent LBA

Capital one- sent DPA letter 17/03

Sent prim letter for charges of £260 14/04

Received a refund £109 awaiting further refund of £151

Settled IN FULL

Barclay card- Sent DPA letter 17/03 sent reminder 14/04

received info claiming £120

settled in FULL

• 2 weeks later...

The process so far:

8th March - DPA Disclosure Request sent to local branch

16th March - 6 years of statements sent (free of charge)

After calculating the figures, found that Barclays owed me 875.00 (Charges) + 221.00 (Overdraft interest) = 1,096.

20 March - Request for payment letter sent to branch.

5 April - 'Standard' reply received from bank:

"I am sorry you feel the bank charges you have incurred are unfair ... we disagree with your legal analysis ... Putting the above to one side, on this occasion and as a gesture of goodwill, I confirm I am willing to refund some ofyour charges totalling 350.00 ... I believe this offer to be fair and reasonable."

Before I write back to the bank, sending them the final letter before action, could I please clarify:

(a) The amount of the claim. Having read the FAQ section, I understand that people at this stage of the process are not claiming for the Interest, but simply the charges plus 8% (as allowed under the CCA). Should I be claiming for the total amount plus the 8% (1,096 +8%) or for only the charges +8%?

(b) Do I ignore the offer outright, or accept the offer AND claim back the difference, using the template?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

Respond that the offer is NOT satisfactory. If the refund offered is goodwill, then why not goodwill for the rest?

Your letter before action should give them 14 days to fulfil the request to your satisfaction. The request is for a refund of charges, a refund of interest on the charges (NOT the 8%APR) and a confirmation regarding notices on your credit file.

If they don't respond to your satisfaction, you will raise a claim in the court for:

Full Refund Of Charges

Full Refund Of Charges Interest

Costs (court cost plus £5/£10 DPA fee)

Interest at 8%APR

An order for the credit file action.

The library template: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=92

Good luck.

After sending my final letter before action to the head office of Barclays on 3rd April, they now have until 17th to change their minds, or face court. Yesterday, I logged on to the Moneyclaim website, and started to write my claim (Drafts can be saved on the site for 28 days before they are deleted), using templates on this site. Just one question: Am I write in thinking that, when calculating the 8% interest on the charges (allowed under the County Courts Act) [using the Excel spreadsheet), the interest is applied to each charge for every day up until the case is filed for action (in this case, up until the 17th)?

Eg: If a charge was imposed on 10th April, you can claim the interest for 8 days?

Thank you.

MODERATED post moved . please keep to your original thread as this is for your benefit and the benefit of other people following your case.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah take it from me it's a fob off ! I waited and the dead line was today and i haven't heard anything. They are stalling for time. My LBA letter is in post today with a few words about their level of service ot my complaint !!

Diving and spending too much

• 1 month later...

After returning from a weeks holiday, I logged onto the Moneyclaim website to find out if Barclays had filed a Defence (They had until the 23rd May).

A defence was filed on the 20th.

My question to those who are currently going through the process. The website now says that my claim can no longer proceed online, and that it will be passed to the appropriate court for continuation.

The thing is, I haven't received anything through the post yet!

What is my next step?

Any advice welcomed!!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks