So the banks can't come on here right.........

surreyscouse
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No, sorry - I think that's bad advice.

There's no urgency - laws cannot be passed that counteract existing case law.

My guess now is that the OFT will 'investigate' banking charges in much the same way that they have the credit card charges - this will take another 2 years to complete, and then probably another 1 year to implement depending on what they find.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

There's no urgency - laws cannot be passed that counteract existing case law.

Think you're mistaken...

There are plenty of laws that have been brought in to conteract case-law...

What you may mean is that they shouldn't by convention back-date laws. But as we know this present government has no idea about working within constitutional conventions...

Let me give you an example which covers both... The recent budget that changed the laws regarding trusts... This was not announced in the budget speech (it was tucked away in the small print) and yet it was both the most far-reaching part of the budget and it also acted retrospectively...

If you have found this post (or any other post) useful ensure you click on the scales in the top right of that post to give credit where credit is due.:D

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE AND WANT TO PROVIDE A VALUABLE LINK TO THIS FORUM ? Go to this thread:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=52854

As ever, with (I believe most if not) all advice given on this website, I am not qualified to give any advice and you are duly warned that any decisions are your own decisions made on your own account and no liability will be accepted for any advice followed ! Use your own judgment.

Seek advice of a qualified, insured, professional if you have any doubts.

Fair enough. Sorry.

Does this not smell like 1939 Germany?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

My guess now is that the OFT will 'investigate' banking charges in much the same way that they have the credit card charges - this will take another 2 years to complete, and then probably another 1 year to implement depending on what they find.

And you think that the banks won't negotiate some kind of deal ? It's a huge loss to them... If a deal is not done limiting the banks losses then it could easily bankrupt them... Potentially £3 billion / year back to 1915... Certainly a minimum £18 billion over the last 6 years...

Remember Nick Leeson ? Brought down Barings over a £200 million hole in the accounts (ok that grew to £800 million once they had unwound the positions he held but the market took advantage of knowing that they had to clear-down his positions...)

If you have found this post (or any other post) useful ensure you click on the scales in the top right of that post to give credit where credit is due.:D

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE AND WANT TO PROVIDE A VALUABLE LINK TO THIS FORUM ? Go to this thread:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=52854

As ever, with (I believe most if not) all advice given on this website, I am not qualified to give any advice and you are duly warned that any decisions are your own decisions made on your own account and no liability will be accepted for any advice followed ! Use your own judgment.

Fair enough. Sorry.

Does this not smell like 1939 Germany?

Going further and further OT but...

I presume you are refering to similarities between the 'Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill' and Hitlers Enabling Act ? If not, you should check it out... It is an astounding piece of legislation that just shows the contempt this government has for parliamentary democracy... icon_evil.gif

Yes, I think you are right - I think they will negotiate some deal, however once in court they will still have to prove that their costs are reflective of their charges.

This is a tiny govt. issue and we're not even a thron in their side yet.

No other companies are allowed to issue penalties - if the issue gets big - and I think it will ultimately - then does that not open the door for all companies to do the same? If it does, think of the effect on the economy. People will have even less money for the retail sector etc....

------------

------------

Ok... to avoid the continuance of this thread high-jacking... I've started a new thread to discuss (if anyone wants to that is !) what the ultimate outcome/consequences of our actions will be...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=63101#post63101

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 11 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks