Northumbrian Water - Advice Please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

This is my first post and I have to say I think this is a very useful site.

Here's my situation;

I rented a flat and had a verbal agreement, (whoops!), with my landlord that water rates were included in the rent. I was a fairly trusting person, at the time and, not having received a water bill for the time I was living there, thought he had been as good as his word. What a surprise, then, to receive a water bill for the three years i lived there, shortly before moving out. I'd received no contact from Northumbrian Water prior to this.

To cut a long story short, I have eventually started paying the bill. I lived there and used the service, so fair enough - but i was even more surprised to find out that, from 2000 until present time, the water account is still in my name, (i moved out prior to this). Not only that, but a water meter was fitted to the premises after I moved out, (who signed the work off if it wasn't me?). I now have a second account with N.W. in the amount of several hundred pounds.

I don't mind paying for what I used, despite the so-called agreement with my Landlord, at the time. Fair enough - I DO mind the fact that the account has been kept in my name, someone has had a water meter fitted and the Landlord point blank refuses to get involved. I also fear for the poor soul who is living there now as he is going to get one hell of a surprise. The Landlord must have told him the same thing about inclusion in rent, perhaps?

I have sent proof of my moving out to N.W. and their collection agents; Guess Who? That's right - Mackenzie Hall, to no avail. I received a text-call on my land line at 4.30 this morning from M.H.!

I'm not paying. Pure and simple. The debt stems from 2000 and I have never admitted liability in any shape or form, but would appear to be ongoing. Can someone please tell me where I stand?

Thanks.

Hi Chromatic,

Well, if you sent them a copy of your next tenancy agreement after you left the address, I can't see how Mackenzie Hall can dispute that.

What exactly did they say? Have you put your recognition of your part of the debt and the reason that you contest the rest of the amount along with the evidence to support it in writing? In addition, I would add a request that they refer it back to the water company to assess the outstanding amount in light of the evidence. Are MH acting on behalf of Northumbrian Water or have they bought the debt? It's easy to communicate by phone and forget the importance of tangible correspondence. If you haven't already done so, I would do that first. Remember to keep a copy of it.

That's just my tuppence worth but I am by no means a legal expert.

Good luck with it.

Kelly

Kelly

Settled: Nationwide £372.55

Before you do anything read this:

Guide to Reclaiming Bank Charges

Most questions can be answered by checking out these links:

Frequently Asked Questions

Step by step instructions

Letter Templates

And don't forget to use the search facility! Chances are your question has already been answered on another thread. Good luck

Thanks Kelly,

I've sent them a copy of my Council Tax statement which clearly shows when I left the property. No doubt they "haven't received it".

The reason I'm here is because they are clearly still after me; it's not every Saturday morning that the 'phone rings at 4:30 a.m. to deliver a text-call, (can you believe that?), advising me to contact someone at Mackenzie Hall. prior to this, the last time I heard from them was November 2006.

The text-call gave me a reference number, so when I got through I gave it to the unusually friendly chap at the other end and he said that it wasn't a valid reference number. I'm still waiting for the call back. That was six hours ago.

Northumbrian Water have been particularly decent throughout, but I sent them a copy of the council tax statement too, yet still I've got these people calling me. There was another collections agency chasing me for the same debt, too.

I've always stated that I deny any and all responsibility for the debt, apart from the period when I was living there, and the debt stems from 2000. Isn't it subject to statutory bar, by now?

Anyone out there who knows the legalities would be a godsend.

Hi again,

It wouldn't surprise me if they 'didn't receive it'. Send it again by recorded delivery. That should pee on their fireworks. :p I'm not sure if it's subject to statutory bar as the debt has been accumulating from 2000 to date. The CAB is the best place to verify it.

Good luck.

K.

Kelly

Settled: Nationwide £372.55

Before you do anything read this:

Guide to Reclaiming Bank Charges

Most questions can be answered by checking out these links:

Frequently Asked Questions

Step by step instructions

Letter Templates

And don't forget to use the search facility! Chances are your question has already been answered on another thread. Good luck