Hsbc

chipper99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5828 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi again. I recently received a reply to my original letter from my bank, HSBC. They said that although I stated I did not want copy statements, this was the only way they had to show my bank charges and that they would send on copy statements without charge. The statements arrived the next day and I have worked out that between October 2004 and December 2006 they have taken £2227.00 from my account on bank charges. This does not include the interest they have taken.

It does not state what the charges are for but I know that it was for going over my overdraft limit. The charges were made on a monthly basis and ranged from a charge of £36.00 to several charges of £125.00. I am now ready to put all these charges on to some sort of table / spreadsheet and send it to the bank with the template letter asking for the charges to be refunded. Has anyone any advice????

Many thanks, Chipper.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi chipper

you enter onto a spreadsheet exactly what it says on your statements i'll send you the link - also i'll send a link to the spreadsheets. spend some time reading the faq's and peoples threads on on the site and familiarise yourself with the procedure of claiming your money back. there's plenty of help should you need it - just holla!!

good luck with your claim

FAQs :::::::::::::::::::::::::- PLEASE READ THESE FIRST!!!

Charges description on statements - Please Read

6. Interest calculation spreadsheets

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

ok, so when you have read the faqs and step by step instructions - maybe a couple of times, then you might be ready for this next bit.

i'm going to put a portion of one of the threads here:

Overdraft interest

This is the single most confusing part of most peoples claim, and one of the most frequently asked questions

overdraft interest is applied to your whole overdraft, however if some of your overdraft is made up from (unlawfull) charges,

then a proportion of the interest has been wrongly applied and is therefore reclaimable

Example

you have a £400 overdraft, you purchase something that day for £200 so now you are -£200 on your current account balance, but on the same day £200 of charges are placed on your account, which means that your current account balance is now -£400 and the bank will charge interest on the whole £400, but as we are contesting that these charges are unlawfull, then the interest should not be placed on the whole amount, only on the amount that you have actually spent,

therefore in this example you can claim back 50% of the interest, however these calculations have to be done daily to truly reflect the amount which can be reclaimed,

Dont worry, Vampiress has made a spreadsheet that will calculate this for you, you can find it here, but please read the instructions that come with it;

ok, chipper - did you understand what you just read - if you say no, fair enough just use the simple spreadsheet and you will have a neat and tidy little list of your charges and this will become your breakdown - just fold back or cover over the 8% column as you will need it when you file your claim but not before then.

if you did understand what that bit above was saying - then - perhaps you could be better off figuring the overdraft interest just to see how much it is and if it is worth claiming for. and to that end - i'm going to point you towards a thread i wrote which explains and tells you what to do - take a look, you will be using the advanced s/s - and believe me it does all the work and calculations - the reason i ask if you understood it is because the solicitors have questioned the overdraft interest and if it is not done correctly (like maybe some people just add on all the interest debits which is totally wrong!!!!!!) if it's not done correctly -the bank/solicitors will know and they will chew you up and spit you out.

it is reclaimable (i did it and lots of others) but it MUST be done properly.

ok, take a look at this thread:honeygie v HSBC *****WON***** (multipage.gif1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) it is post 26. take a look and if you follow it - i think you should be able to sort it out - if not get back.

good luck.

Latty that is a lovely post. Chipper, you are in good hands.

Good luck with your claim - I know what you mean about how shocking it is when you finally see all those charges mount up. Means you're in for a bumper pay day though when they cough up.:)

Claim against First Direct - WON - 29th March 2007

that's fine, as long as you did it correctly you should have no problem.

that's roughly where my son's was - 1500 charges, +300 o/d interest + 300 interest at 8% at the claim stage + court fee - got back 2280.

he had lots of interest debits and there were a lot relating to overdraft - so i think yours sounds pretty much like you did it ok.

did you work out the 8% you'll be adding at claim stage?

No. I havent worked that out yet. I will get around to it and need to re-read your attachments.Im working away from at the minute so will hopefully have a reply when I get back and be able to work it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a reply from HSBC today saying that they had received my letter and that they were looking into the matter and would contact me soon with a full response. The letter was from a Colin Langdale, Senior Service Quality Officer.

Most of us have one of those Chipper, its followed by another one in about a months time apologising for not having completed the investigations giving you a date about a month from that when they will give you a reply.

Just stick to your time table, once you have filed your claim with the court they can waste as much time as they want.

pete

Yes, just remember your the claimant your running the show to your timetable.

Unless you get an offer that you are happy with you carry on with the claim. In fact untill the money is in your hand/bank you should let the claim run.

pete

• 2 weeks later...

Good for you chipper, its not difficult at all, the worst part of the whole process is sorting out the spreadsheet and you have done that weeks ago (apart from the long periods of silence from anyone who should be doing anything with your claim:? ).

If you have sent your LBA the next step will be submitting your claim to the court, if your going to use MCOL you can register now and start to complete the details so its all ready for the day you send it, the site allows you to log on and off as much as you want to edit your details.

pete