Paypal chargeback

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6240 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In a strange yet ideal world, I would advise using PayPal if you were buying, but not if you were selling.

Unfortunately, as most sellers realise, listing PayPal as an option can sometimes greatly increase your sale price. It's also very good for selling at fixed price/pay immediately to rid yourself of some idiots.

I had a chargeback from a US buyer, despite stating very clearly that the postage method could take several weeks, and despite this method being 'advised' by PayPal as a good option.

No sooner did she win the case, the goods showed as delivered online. It took me another week to get the fools at PayPal to understand this and finally get return of my money!

Having said that, I've been at the other end - an item didn't arrive, I gave plenty of opportunity for the seller to resolve it, but as soon as he seemed to get a little rattled, I did a chargeback and reclaimed my money.

Swings and roundabouts eh?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

The trouble is is you're selling, particularly on ebay, you can't afford NOT to have Paypal. I tried it once and a small item I was selling approximately 50 of a week dropped to under ten sales because I refused Paypal.

There are other options of course but because ebay rams Paypal down your throat and their propaganda gives buyers a (false, in my opinion) sense of security it's very difficult to convince buyers that Nochex or something similar is better.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

• 1 month later...

Quite..

It's a necessary evil, perpetuated, funnily enough, by eBay..

paypalsucks.com is sobering reading, but as I say, I can't see a way of avoiding Paypal if you want to sell things on eBay..

hi, i stopped using paypal when i had a charged back on one item off £1,plus postage £1, i never credited the account with the £2 so they closed the account, shame as i had over £6000 credited into the account so its there loss. but i will never use them again.

HALIFAX - £603.27 *WON*

HALIFAX CC - £245 *WON*

NatWest CC - £400 *won*

BARCLYCARD -£84 REFUND claim #6qz54472

YORKSHIRE 1 BANK £472.56 claim # 6qz53180

YORKSHIRE II £1373.37 moneyclaim

LETTING AGENT £200 REFUNDED

MISSES NATIONWIDE £764 *WON*

MISSES TOP SHOP GE CAPITAL*WON*

rbs £81*won*

total so far £4138.56

Guest Zooman

I did a load of work for a yank last year, much bigger then I normal take on, so much that I brought outside help in. He paid by pay-pal 3.5 USD then 1 month later after he had changed this FTP passwords etc he did a chargeback. It is the only time I have felt like someone stole from me, I've had plenty of customers not pay but never con me before the hardest bit was that pay pal took his side.

similar thing happened to me, I sold an old mobile phone on ebay, and the person who bought it used a stolen credit card via paypal, which I didnt know til 2 months after sending the phone out when the money was taken back off me. I disputed the case and even though they knew it was stolen money they still debited my account I refused to pay so the account to this day is still at -£99.00 and I've been banned!

I've stopped using ebay now as like people have said it makes things very difficult if you haven't got a paypal account, especially when sellers only accept it as a form of payment.

Thanks

Trixie :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

my son sold a laptop on ebay, reasonably described....... customer bought it and paid by paypal. When it arrived he took exception to its conditon as he wanted to resell it (he was a dealer, not our problem) (the laptop was in working condition and functioned well with no major faults bar minor scratches) he then took it to pieces and complained about the inner cleanliness !! to cut a v long story short he complained to paypal. My sons account was frozen for about 3 months and was given little chance to appeal. They ruled against him despite the evidence and debited his account the amount -£450 with NO chance of appeal or to put his side of the case. The buyer eventually returned the laptop but didnt follow procedure in the reqd time. Paypal then refunded my son the money and he had the laptop as well !!!

DO NOT TRUST PAYPAL they are NOT regulated they are NOT a bank they make their OWN rules and they can freeze your account without warning or redress

we came out on top but it could have worked against us

Be warned

Dave

ps try this link PayPalSucks.com is where you will learn about the PayPal Class Action Lawsuit, Abuse, Fraud & evil behind the PayPal system!

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Ebay have just banned Nochex as a method of payment.

Last year I bought a "gold" number mobile sim card for around £45 which was stated as ending with "222222". in fact when I got it, it only had "222" at the end, not six 2's as listed so it was worth about £5, not £45.

Paypal agreed to refund me my money for the misdescribed item if I returned the item which I did. I got a certificate of posting and even though I got an email from the seller admitting he had received the returned sim card Paypal then dismissed my claim because I hadn't returned it via recorded delivery, so in their eyes I had no proof I had sent it. The result was that the seller now has the sim card back to con somebody else with - no doubt he did do - AND he has my money.

What really disgusts me is that way they act as judge, jury and executioner in disputes with YOUR money. Their front page reads "PayPal (Europe) Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United Kingdom as an electronic money institution", yet they seem to be able to do what the hell they like.

I have more tales to tell, not least the way they refunded six buyers immediately after I was (wrongly) suspended by ebay in January even though I had already posted the goods which changed a positive balance of around £50+ into a negative balance of -£36.

Six months on they still email me about three times a week asking me to pay money in to restore my account to a positive balance. Not a prayer. :-x

Just looked at there "policy"

NOCHEX seems to be "approved"

Payment Services permitted on eBay: Allpay.net, Bidpay, Canadian Tire Money, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Moneybookers.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, Propay.com, XOOM

Payment Services not permitted on eBay: AlertPay.com, anypay.com, AuctionChex.com, Billpay.ie, ecount.com, cardserviceinternational.com, CCAvenue, ecount, e-gold, eHotPay.com, ePassporte.com, EuroGiro, FastCash.com, Google Checkout, gcash, GearPay, Goldmoney.com, graphcard.com, greenzap.com, ikobo.com, Liberty Dollars, Moneygram.com, neteller.com, Netpay.com, Payko.com, paychest.com, payingfast.com, paypay, Postepay, Qchex.com, rupay.com, sendmoneyorder.com, stamps, Stormpay, wmtransfer.com, xcoin.com.

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

This is a recent change; many Powersellers are fuming because of the short notice given and many have hundreds of listings that need to be amended. Expect eBay to amend their wording at some point, although knowing ebay it will take them some months to get around to it.

News here: PowerSellers slam eBay 'ballsup' | The Register

Interesting to see they have banned Google Checkout before it's even got going!

hmmmm seems I was wrong..... or more to the point Ebay is slow in removing its out of date options

British traders have slammed an unexpected move by eBay to prune the range of payment methods it accepts. On Friday morning, Pacific Time - Friday evening in Europe - eBay declared that Nochex, a Leeds-based payment gateway, was no longer acceptable as a payment mechanism. Google's new Checkout service also found itself in the sin bin

Dave

Well, it seems Ebay do listen to some of their customers...

eBay restores Nochex

You're banned. You're not.

By Andrew Orlowski

Published Thursday 13th July 2006 11:14 GMT

Security White Papers - Download them free from Reg Research

Without any fanfare, eBay is again accepting payments made by Nochex today. That's the service it banned on Friday, sending sellers into a frantic race to update their listings.

Nochex marketing manager Rob Harrison confirmed the news to us, adding that just as with last week's ban, Nochex hadn't been informed or given a reason for the decision.

"It's another surprising U-turn," he said.

The category of accepted payment methods for eBay UK can be found here.

Last night, while Nochex was still apparently unaware that it had been readmitted, the payments service CEO Martin Greenbank issued a statement slamming eBay's "knee jerk reaction", two days after the launch of Google's rival Checkout service.

"I really wonder what the EU Competition Commission will make of this move, as they are already mounting an enquiry into competition within the payment cards industry."

One eBay trader said that auction giant's stealth hide-and-seek communications policy had added to the confusion

"So is this another cockup, or have they genuinely changed policy? There's no announcement yet again - just a quiet change of a page. The guys who have been changing thousands of listings to comply with the "old" new rules are needless to say not happy."

Sellers face a lifetime ban if they use a non-approved payment method, which caused a scramble when word of the new policy began to spread last Friday.

"People dropped family plans to get their listings changed, because they worried about losing their accounts. Other larger sellers have been editing since last Friday and are furious that it has all been a waste of time," he told us. ®

Lloyds Current A/C DPA sent 7th May 2009 Closed and charges wiped Summer 2010.

Barclays A/C DPA sent 4th June 2009: no reply, no correspondence as of 2011.

Littlewoods Data Protection Act Section 10 sent 09/06/2006 - Fraudulent A/C closed and CRA data removed November 2006.

HSBC Default & Debt wiped March 2009 (6 yr Statute barred reached)

RBS - Claim 1 - Settled in FULL £766.00 20/06/2006.

RBS - Claim 2 - Settled in FULL £777.95 08/09/2006

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Amount - £586.39 claim plus 8% interest

SETTLED IN FULL 08/09/2006 - CHEQUE FOR £625.25

Halifax Visa Data Protection Act Disclosure Received

First Direct Data Protection Act Disclosure received

I'll tell you what infuriates me about eBay: if there's an issue that people are not happy with eBay crawl out of it by insisting that they're "only a venue".

Really? So what the hell has it got to do with them what payment method is used? Surely if the payment method is accepted by both buyer and seller that should be good enough?

A lifetime ban for using a payment method they don't approve is ludicrous. If the payment method is via an organisation that is regulated by the Financial Services Authority then surely that should be good enough?

Ebay - and eBay-owned Paypal - are a law unto themselves. I wouldn't mind but I bet all the other payment methods put together don't get as many complaints as Paypal do. :-x

• 9 months later...
  • 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6240 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks