Npower have fitted a key meter for an account they know is in dispute

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a letter from npower this morning - the contents are baffling, to say the least:

"Dear Tiglet

You have recently contacted energywatch regarding your electricity account, I wanted to inform you of the following.

Having looked into your account today I can see that you are disputing having a prepayment meter fitted into your property.

The reason this was fitted was due to an outstanding balance being unpaid on your electricity account. (Really? Figured that out all by yourself, did you?)

In previous correspondance you have advised that you disputed this account, at no point has there been a dispute on your electricity account before your prepayment meter was fitted on 8 March 2007. (That's interesting - I have my phonebill which shows phonecalls to them, an email and letter I sent to power2contact and copied npower in on, a letter from npower acknowledging there was a dispute and a letter I sent to them advising of the precise nature of the dispute in writing - all dated, sent or received before 8th March. If that's not evidence of a dispute, please advise me what would constitute eveidence?)

On a number of occasion's (this is all his grammar and spelling, not mine) npower have sent letters out to you advise that there is a balance outstanding on your account and that further action would be taken if payments were not received. Dates and copies available on request. (Firstly, learn how to write correctly. Secondly, I KNOW YOU HAVE SENT LETTERS - that's why I either phoned, wrote or emailed to you in response. I can provide dates and copies of these on request).

In reply to your question regarding who is responsibilities it is to do a risk assessment or COSHH assesment. The engineer would not leave the meter in an unsafe manner, if you believe there is asbestos in your property then that is your responsibility as the homeowner to look in to. (Again, learn how to write. Secondly, my local council (in principal) don't seem to agree, but there we are - I'll update on that one when I have further developments).

In light of the above prepayment meter will remain in the property with an outstanding balance of £732.37 including the warant charge. There is currently a fixed weekly charge of £11.00 on the account for the outstanding balance, as a gesture of goodwill I will be happy to reduce this to £7.00 per week. (Missed the point entirely - I am still to receive a breakdown of charges, the last bill I have is STILL an estimate and I don't want the bloody thing in my property).

Thank you for your comment regarding the meter operator NAME, I can assure you I have passed your comments over to his team manager for him to take the relevant action. (Listen, you idiot, can't you get any of your facts straight? It wasn't the meter operator I complained about, it was the debt collector from power2contact. I'm so glad you've complained to his team manager - I've complained to his complaints department, the magistrates court, ICO and the OFT. Let's see who gets more joy.)

I trust this clarifies things for you, If you have any further questions regarding this matter please feel free to call me on the number below. (It certainly does clarify matters - npower couldn't find their a**e with a map. I have many further questions, but if you think I'm asking someone who clearly has the IQ of toast, you are very much mistaken. I think i'll get back in contact with energywatch and the OFT - and if they can't help, energy ombudsman and then it's court action from me. I hope this clarifies things for YOU.)

Yours sincerely

Scrawl

Graham Smith

Customer Relations (Npower have a special department dedicated to p**sing off their customers?)

I really would appreciate some opinions here - is it me? I mean really, is it me? They can't even seem to understand a letter of complaint.

I'll speak to energywatch about this tomorrow, but good lord - it makes you want to cry from the ineptitude - and these people can gain access to your house!

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Guest ian cognito

Tiglet, sorry but you're keeping me so well entertained I hope this dispute is never settled.

Take it you'll be changing energy supplier some time soon?

I can't change energy supplier until they've either removed the meter or I've paid the bill off - but I still haven't got a bloody bill!!!

Jeebus, no wonder I'm turning to drink.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I'm starting to seriously think that I should pay this bill off, change suppliers and then take npower to the small claims court. Anyone got any opinions?

Guest ian cognito

If you are in a position to do so its certainly worth considering, as you rightly say, while you are in debt to them there is not much you can do without their co-operation, (regulators? my **** to use Jim Royles favourite phrase)

They do have to finalise your account if you leave so you may just get it sorted - on the other hand........

I know - I am loath to pay them until I know exactly what it is I've been charged for, but I'm now thinking if I do pay them, change suppliers and show the new suppliers I am taking them to court as it is their fault, not mine, that I have a prepayment meter, i migth be able to get the bloody thing taken out.

Will also show it's not that I don't want to pay - i only want to pay what's fair. however, i do want compenstation for all of the stress this has caused.

I was told by the guy from power2contact that i would ahve to stay on the prepayment meter even if i paid off the bill and changed suppliers as i would be deemed to be a bad risk.

You are a myserious person, ozzywizzard ....

Thanks honey - I am seriously considering doing taht and then taking them to court to get charges back/damages etc.

I'll let you know what hubby and I decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, hubby and I have considered our position and have decided that Npower can go and fellate themselves. An email has been sent to energywatch refuting everything tNpower says (I'm so glad i keep copies of all correspondance now) and looking forward to the next round.

Let's get it on ...

Guest Ruthie P

Hi Tiglet,

I have just read your post regarding all the problems you have, I am disgusted that you have been treated this way, although your comments are amusing, I still felt the frustration.... please keep us updated with this, I am looking forward to finding out what has happened. As for the prepay meter giving you a bad reputation, its not nonsense in its fullest extent, it can cause problems, suppliers usually want three months good payment on prepay meter before they will change them, however, I am sure that once this is sorted you can force them to change it back to a credit meter (I am sure energywatch can help you enforce this seeing as they wouldn't have got the warrant if they had told the court all the facts!) once this meter is changed turn on your heels and run like the wind from Npower.

I sincerly hope this all gets sorted out for you.

Ruth :)

Thanks Ruthie - I'll keep you all updated. Tigs x

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting thread, thanks for all your information - I am in dispute (have been since 2003 ish) with Powergen and today picked up some letters at my old flat suggesting that Powergen were going to seek a Warrant.

Will I get a notification of the Warrant application before its granted from the court? I'd like the magistrate to be aware that the account is in dispute when deciding whether to award the Warrant, and so make sure that they have the information.

MTIA

Irksome

They should send a "human Rights" notification of when the court date is. Attend the court adte with all your evidence - after speaking to the barrister at the court, if I had known they were going to proced and had come with my documentary evidence, prepared to pay what was actually owed, in all likelihood the magistrate would not have granted the warrant.

• 1 month later...

Tiglet,

Just wanted to add my support to your efforts in trying to get some justice from this bunch of 'eejits'.

For what it's worth it seems most of these major utilities are either completely stupid or don't give a damn, i'm having similar problems with Scottish Power all based around the fact my account became £300 in credit with them but that's a long story for another day and another thread!!

Best of luck.

• 5 months later...

Am still battling this one, i'm afraid - they haven't even honoured their ofefr to reduce payments to £7 per week while it's under investigation.

Energywatch are useless so it's getting to the point of the ombudsman now.