About the OFT (not so) impending report - PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU'RE WORRIED

Bookworm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6174 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:-| It's a long thread and easy to forget what the initial topic was - but don't let bookie see that you didn't notice! :)

15/2/07 Lloyds TSB number 1 account settled in full :D

20/2/07 5% donation to site :) thanks guys!!

My advice or opinion is offered in good faith but without prejudice or liability. It should not be considered as legal advice. If in doubt, seek advice from a qualified legal professional.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure" - Marianne Williamson

kenny & Kimmy - scotty's post above is a cut and paste of bookie's original post which started this thread :D

....and it also hs Bookie's personal Bookworm logo in the signature!?

Hmmm!

Els

BANK CHARGES CAMPAIGN CONTINUES - PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION

Aktiv Kapital £300.00 SETTLED IN FULL

Capital One £741.47 SETTLED IN FULL

Citi Cards £1221.00 SETTLED IN FULL

LTSB(personal) £3854.28 SETTLED IN FULL

LTSB(business) £7487.97 SETTLED IN FULL

What poor education I have received has been gained in the University of Life

:lol: :lol:

Els

BANK CHARGES CAMPAIGN CONTINUES - PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION

Aktiv Kapital £300.00 SETTLED IN FULL

Capital One £741.47 SETTLED IN FULL

Citi Cards £1221.00 SETTLED IN FULL

LTSB(personal) £3854.28 SETTLED IN FULL

LTSB(business) £7487.97 SETTLED IN FULL

What poor education I have received has been gained in the University of Life

Bookie - thank you for your excellent and informative (as always!) post.

I have been trying to convince my friend to claim back her charges for the last 6 months or so (think she was holding out to see if I would have any success first!), she has finally relented and I'm now helping her to do so.

I had a frantic message from her yesterday saying that a barrister had told her that 'they were going to change the law' at the end of the month. I asked what, exactly, he had said and apparently (:rolleyes: ) it was that the 'government are going to close the legal loophole!'

Laugh??? I haven't laughed so hard in ages.....

I can only assume this barrister guy was misinformed and was actually referring to the (now not so) impending OFT report.

Bookie - any view on the above? Not sure I can see Mssrs Blair and co doing anything that could incite discontent so close to an election?

My advice or opinion is offered in good faith but without prejudice or liability. It should not be considered as legal advice. If in doubt, seek advice from a qualified legal professional.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure" - Marianne Williamson

Oh, I have views all right.

The only printable one is that I thought barristers would have a basic knowledge of how laws are passed. Ok, that's politics, not law, but SURELY!!! :shock: For goodness sake, I'm FRENCH and I know how laws are passed in this country!!! And one thing is certain, is that it takes a lot more than a month. In this instance, with over 100 years of penalty laws firmly established, it would be even harder, and take even longer... And of course, which party would dare even try such an unpopular move?

So, my opinion? He might be a barrister, but he knows jack on this subject.

Oh, and it's NOT a legal loophole, far from it. :mad:

Thanks Bookie, my thoughts exactly. Just strengthens the argument for providing clear, honest information based on facts and nothing else!

Someone told me Martin was on Ch5 earlier, repeating that "you only have till April to claim".

I repeat: THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!

*sigh*

To be honest he does my head in a bit. I have found him to be inacurate in some of his coments about the process of reclaiming when he was on that prog Bank Charge Backlash, he seemed to skim accros things and muddy the waters in my opinion.

I can't knock him as he was the person who informed me on telly about the whole debate, however he is starting to get a bit celeb for my liking and I do feel he is cutting corners with some of his points which is causing confusion.

Tanz

Hi

i've only been on here for a matter of months, and I've learned a hell of a lot from my peers :-)

People/friends/family of mine see the 'celeb' Martin Lewis as making it look 'Oh so simple, a matter of course, and of course the banks will be in full compliance - it's your right etc etc...'

I've seen many an item with him in.

He, in my opinion over simplifies the process, glorifies the 'power' the consumer has, skirts over the legal due process and seems to miss out any chance of the banks forming what the un-knowing would call 'a strong and legal challenge'.

Wouldn't it be great to invite Martin to comment on his public presentation, and explain the complexities and legal challenges 1000's of CAG'ers have now witnessed 1st hand in their now informed dealings on this matter...

I'm just glad I chose this site over his.

Thank you all!

P

If my advice has helped, please click on my scales. Thank you!

MBNA - CRA file to be cleared then finished!

Abbey Personal - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

Capital One - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

GMAC - Sent DCA SAR 9th March 07 - confirmed not legally assigned.

Waiting for GMAC to provide breakdown of charges and CCA under s79

Alliance & Leicester - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court.

WOWEE!

I've had my eyes opened here!

No need to panic, then!

I'll request Statements PRIOR to 2001 from Bank of Scotland.

Poor post-lady - she had to deliver multiple envelopes to me 10 days ago. Now it'll start all over again!

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

• 4 weeks later...
He, in my opinion over simplifies the process, glorifies the 'power' the consumer has

Please don't think i'm a member or the 'ML' fan club cos I agree with a lot of what you say, but you do have to bear in mind that tens of thousand of people have started to reclaim charges because of him. Me included:o Yes, he skirts the issues but he often only appears in 10 minute features, it probably takes him longer to get his hair done than he spends on camera. And the most important thing is he links to here, again, how I found it. I personally am gratefull to anyone who helps pile the pressure on in any way they can. Yes even Lorraine Kelly:D

Barclays - 2 Accounts - WON

Capital 1 - WON with CI

LTSB - WON

LTSB pre 6 years - N1 for non compliance filed

Barclays pre 6 years - Prelim sent

jshtr3

I agree that anyone who helps in the challenge to the banks is a valuable asset. Fair point re ML, and his link, and his public fight.

What I don't like, agree with, is the miss-information, the panic tactics, the incorrectly worded (and limiting the consumers options) template letters and the false sense of security he purports the consumer has.

As we all know, and reading the CCA thread is an ideal example, the fight to reclaim your charges, empower yourself against over-zealous creditors, can be bloody hard, bloody frustrating and bloody costly (not just financially!)

I'm all for power to the people, but lets empower people with knowledge and common sense - rather than a blunt sword and a roll of gaffer tape eh! :???:

If my advice has helped, please click on my scales. Thank you!

MBNA - CRA file to be cleared then finished!

Abbey Personal - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

Capital One - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

GMAC - Sent DCA SAR 9th March 07 - confirmed not legally assigned.

Waiting for GMAC to provide breakdown of charges and CCA under s79

Alliance & Leicester - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court.

just sending small ...

Bump!

If I helped you click on my scales (on the bottom on right hand site). Thanks

July 2006 - DPA sent - never got reply

September 2006 - First letter sent, got offer for half of charges, Thanks but no thanks reply with LBA sent in October 2006

January 2007 - filed Small Claim on-line

after some mix-ups on 14 February 2007 Small Claim pack served to Halifax

they have 6 weeks (Claim from NI take longer) until 28 March 2007 to respond

See my thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/71700-kecimot-against-halifax-learn.html

Direct contact for Halifax

Matthew Ingham

Team Leader - Regulated Sales

Customer Relations - Halifax

HBOS Plc

CB/2/CR/26527

Direct Dial: 01422 326 527

matthewingham@halifax.co.uk

• 1 month later...