directly purchased Avia Sony Laptop 2yr 2mnths - £300 repair!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6056 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

sorry i cant help robert but an interesting on but i would be inclined to agree with pat davies it seems a faulty board and you seem to have issued a summons it would be best to send the summons to the sony centre along with a copy to sony manufacturer and if you have found simmalar faults through as sugested google then its possible to have sony act as your witness to explain this inherant fault perhaps that might scare sony into settling the claim before court action ,but google with the fault diagnosis and it will show up if it is a manufacturing fault also look through pc mags and find out through back copies on the net if their is an admitance their is possible failures with this model

Sony Vaio Viao PCG-GRV670 Video Problem, video distortion, GRV680 video distortion, GRV670 ATI Radeon video problem, GRV690 Video distortion, Sony Vaio GRV scrambled video

this is what i have found on a quick yahoo so if you google you will surely find it seems like a manufactures problem

good luck

patrickq1

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Advice & opinions given by patrickq1 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Consumer complaints about Sony Computers

it seems their are endless problems with the sony laptop i would copy each and every page of the complaints and definitely check the pc mags as it may be you can demand either repair or replacement..

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Advice & opinions given by patrickq1 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

Brilliant this helps put my mind at rest. I can't believe they are willing to go to this much trouble, I certainly won't be shopping there again. My Sony stereo has also just stopped working!!! argh!!!! Think I'll stick with my friends laptop first

Help me to help others!

Sorry what do you mean by issue a summons? Should I issue a summons on Sony Manufacturer? Or just forward the above documents with the complaints printed & the diagnose to all parties?

Cheers, Rob

it seems a faulty board and you seem to have issued a summons it would be best to send the summons to the sony centre along with a copy to sony manufacturer and if you have found simmalar faults through as sugested google then its possible to have sony act as your witness to explain this inherant fault perhaps that might scare sony into settling the claim before court action

patrickq1

Help me to help others!

ok robert i know it is daunting all this legal stuff but what i will sugest is that you go to the start of the forum and look at http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

you will see a particular section

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/retail-stores-forums/

and read through some of the threads on their it will give you some guidelines if you get stuck i will get someone to respond to your case see if they can clarify whatever you get stuck on ok mate have a good read first though

OK not much in the stores-forum but I'll start checking through the rest of the site. Thanks for your advice but to confirm ... what am I looking for? lol Do you think I need to issue a summons to Sony Manufacturer? I would do this because... they would know how many probs they have had?

Help me to help others!

I have had lots of help on my Sony Laptop query. I have since been advised to perhaps issue a summons to Sony Manufacturer, I would like to do this but couldn't find about how to actually do it only info on people who have had them issued to them.

Anyone know how?

Greatly appreciated.

Rob

Help me to help others!

robert - I think you may have accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. I think you meant to post on the Consumer Action Group forum :)

If you think this post has been of help, please click on my SCALES on the left - thanks :-) :-x

Peter Anderson

Me Vs Morgan Stanley - WON £490

Me V's LTSB - Private & Bus Acc - £18.8k (since Oct1997)

inc: S.69 Interest (and growing daily) -;)

Please remember to DONATE when you have WON

• 1 month later...

Oh yeah I have received a defence then I suppose. Is this their whole defence?

(spelling mistakes are theirs not my mistakes)

Clain No 7QZ80780

Mr Briscoe purchased his Vaio Laptop in November 2004. The laptop comes with a 12 month manufacturer warranty which includes direct support from the Vaio Link which is Sony UK direct support team. They cover all aspects of the warranty to include both hardware and software support, all details of this support is supplied with the unit.

To the best of our knowledge, no fault was ever reported on this laptop until january 2007 some 26 months later.

We explained that the laptop was out of warranty and that any repair would be chargeable. Mr Briscoe then quoted the sales of goods act and we explained that the sales of goods act clearly state regarding consumer's rights that the problem has to be due to something present at the time of sale, if this is not the case there is no legal right to redress.

We therefore dispute this claim in full.

Help me to help others!

You need to prepare your witness statement as per court's direction, follow his instructions carefully.

You want all the evidence in clear order.

That's the whole of their defence? :shock:

Your case should be that you don't expect a laptop costing £xxx to fail within such period of time, and that you feel that the laptop is not of satisfactory durability. You consider that expecting you to pay for repairs in full is unreasonable, and that their attempt to charge you for that in full is breaching your rights under SOGA. You have offered to pay for a portion of the repairs, but they ignored you and told you you were supposed to bear the cost of the repairs in full.

You need to print yourself this:

Trading Standards Central - Trading Standards and Consumer Protection information for the UK

It's not SOGA, but it will help you address the salient points you need for your case.

I suggest PM Gyzmo and ask him to have a look, he should have some much more thorough advice. :-)

• Haha 1

#9, 10 and 11 of the courts directions (as posted by you) refer to witness statements. By right, you should already have done it and sent a copy to defendant and court. If you haven't, as long as you go to court yourself, the judge may accept it. If not, you'll have to use it as a support when you talk to the judge.

In the bank charges forum library, there are examples of witness statement, have a look on how they're written, adapt to conform with courts directions in your case.

oh no! I didn't realise I hadn't done all that was needed. I sent off a pack containg their defence my claim SoGA and the letters between us but wasn't sure what a witness stt was... I'll try and find some and see if I can make my own. Will this be a prob? and can I just post it off tomorrow and it still be OK?

Help me to help others!

With the postal strike, I would advise you to drop it off to the court yourself at least. Post it to the other side asap, and if they get it late, well, so be it, too late to worry about that now.

Strictly speaking, as long as you turn up for the hearing, there is little reason for the judge to refuse your evidence, unless you have a smoking gun you deliberately witheld from the other side. If you weren't to turn up, though, any evidence you want to add to your bundle would have to be sent no less than 7 days before the case.

You have to take with you a copy (or should I say the originals) of what you sent to the other side. The judge made it very clear that anything you were planning to use in court, you had to send to the other side. You will not be endearing yourself to him if you bring in more stuff you didn't make the other side aware of.

Have a look in the Library, there is a thread about "going to court...", the procedure will be the same.

Yes, take someone with you, but remember he won't be allowed to speak to the judge directly.

What kind of questions? Ah now, who knows? the judge should have read your documents and the defence, so should have a fair idea of the background, he's likely to ask for a run of both yours and theirs version of the events. He may well ask you what you think would be a fair contribution to the costs of repairs (so be prepared with a reply for that, make it as low as you dare, and if he twitches, say that you had been prepared to pay x amount so many months ago, but since you have been deprived of use of laptop for that much longer due to defendants' unreasonable behaviour, you think it fair they should carry the additional cost.)

You want to appear to be the reasonable one who has tried to compromise at every turn and they have dug their heels in, in defiance of the law, denying you your statutory rights, then ignoring you and your requests, forcing you into this court action.

If it goes in your favour, don't forget to get your court fees and expert report fees etc in the judgment!

Oh you think the Judge will want to speak to the claimant direct? Well I've been doing the work (with your help) he really isn't very good at talking... he won't understand the law on it etc. He is dyslexic and well just not particularly bright.. could I not speak on his behalf?

Help me to help others!

Oh, sorry, I had lost the plot there, I thought it was you....

Go in, get your friend to explain politely why he doesn't feel confident to speak to him himself and that you have actually handled it all because of his dyslexia, I would be very surprised if the judge objected to that, as it would be tremendously unfair on him.