directly purchased Avia Sony Laptop 2yr 2mnths - £300 repair!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're all in the "one of those things" category rather than customer damage after 2 years I would say you should expect to pay "something" for the repair as these things dont last forever especially as they are portable in nature however I would say no way should you be expected to pay over £75 towards the repair and theres still no harm in looking for 100% just be expected to contribute.

Bit late now but Sony Vaio (stands for Video Audio Input Output) are the worst in the industry for parts and for working on :(

• 2 weeks later...

Sony have said they have nothing to add.

Right. Does anyone have a template or should I adjust the bank fines one to fit this problem? If anyone I know Bookworm is into this but if anyone has any tips, they are more than welcome!

Help me to help others!

What along the lines would I need in my claim for a laptop that is 2 yr 2mnths old and has broken, I am claiming under the sales of goods act that it was not durable and hasn't lasted a reasonable time.

The claim is the one just below about the Sony Laptop.

Thank you!!

Help me to help others!

• 2 weeks later...

Please I'm having trouble with the wording!!? Does anyone know how to put it, basically SoG act laptop needing £300 repairs after 2yr 2 mthns they said I should have taken their insurance out. However their insurance is extended rights not instead of. Poor durability

Help me to help others!

I purchased a Vaio Laptop for £899.99 in November 2004. In January 2007 the Laptop developed a fault I took it to Sony and was told the repair would cost £300, I explained the Laptop was only 2 years and 1 month old. I was simply told I should have taken out the insurance policy they offer.

I wrote to Sony as advised by the manufacturer who I contacted in February 2007. I have written to Sony Centre with an independent test showing the fault is with the Motherboard and that a £900 laptop should not be developing £300 faults after this short period. The replies were simply if their products are out of the 12 month guarantee the repair is chargeable.

I request the Laptop be repaired free of charge. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 says that goods should be as follows: Of satisfactory quality. This means the goods must meet the standards that any reasonable person would expect, taking into account the description, the price and all other relevant information.

Is this OK ?

Help me to help others!

the SoGa is not going to help outside of the manu 12mths warranty.

if you know what failed 'not just the motherboard'

i would be inclined to do a much searching on google as you can,

i had a toshiba laptop [£1400] fail after 30mths, this was well outside the manu garan it cost me £450.

i spoke to repairs [who repaired it in house following referal from shop]

one of the gents was nice enough to inform me that it was not the only one he had done .

i searched and found two other exactly the same failures.

i mailed the links to their service claims dept & was refunded the £450.

basically if you can prove it was an inherent known fault, that they should have contacted all owners about, then it matters not that it is outside the 1 year

see how you get on.

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

the SoGa is not going to help outside of the manu 12mths warranty.

Why? The whole point of SoGA is that the rights it allows the consumer are regardless of any warranty given by the manufacturer - who is not a party to the contract.

basically if you can prove it was an inherent known fault, that they should have contacted all owners about, then it matters not that it is outside the 1 year

You don't have to prove a 'known' or 'inherent' fault, merely that the fault is a manufacturing fault. Other than a worn out board mounted fan, or damage to board mounted sockets, I would have thought than any motherboard electronics failure (as long as the user has not dismantled or mis-treated the laptop) can only be a manufacturing fault.

ok pat

what i mean is, if you can find others that have sufferd the same fault, then it gives the manu little room to wriggle for so long.

they usually cough.

but as you say with a motherboard it a bit diff.

they normally get around it by claimiing poor ventilation damaged the board. customer installation error. did not read the manual.

its still woth investigating as much as possible,

it might be something known about already, as above

i think you will do ok.

dx100uk

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can't believe it, after you suggested I should find other Vaio laptops my mate just mentioned how he bought a Vaio laptop from PC world and after 14 months it needs £600!!! of repairs. They said no warranty no repair-

Can't believe it!!! Sound like Victor meldrew

Help me to help others!

My mate told me he paid via CC - surely he has consumer credit 1974 or sth? So if PC World aren't interested he is allowed by law to order a chargeback?? He does need a laptop so this would help, would PC World write to him or what?

Section 75! Ah but how easy is this to do?

Help me to help others!

only if the goods fail within warranty me thinks.

this is the whole point of extended warranty schemes.

get it tested and a report issued.

dx100uk

and they

• 3 weeks later...

Sony Defence:

Mr Briscoe purchased his Vaio Laptop in November 2004. The Laptop comes with a 12 month manaufacturer warranty which includes direct support from the Vaio Link which is Sony UK direct support team. They cover all aspects of the warranty to include both hardware and software support, all details of this support is supplied with the unit.

To the best of our knowledge, no fault was ever reported on this laptop until January 2007 some 26 months later.

We explained that the laptop was out of warrentyu and that any repair would be chargeable. Mr Briscoe then qouted the SoGA and we explained that the SoGA clearly state regarding the consumers' rights that the prob has to be due to something prescent at the time of sale, if this is not the case there is no legal right to redress.

We therefor dispute this claim in full.

Help me to help others!

• 1 month later...