ABBEY BANK

TUTTSI
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5729 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

Have just joined this forum and I wanted to share with you all another one of Abbey's quirks.

A few weeks ago I made a bill paypayment to leave my account on the same day I knew I had a cheque clearing and also 2 bacs payments were also due on that day as credits in my account as cleared funds. 2 days later I receive a letter from their operations department to say that I had insufficient funds to make the bill payment. Although on this occassion they did not charge me. This was I thought to be impossible since I had enough cleared funds on that day.

I raised this issue with their call centre in India - what a nightmare! eventually after a frustrating 30 minutes of time wasting someone who understood me took up my complaint and eventually called me back and explained to me that the money clearing in the account did not clear until 9am that morning but bill payments were scheduled to go out at 1 minute past mid night, therefore they said that I did not have funds at a minute past midnight. But surely in my eyes a day is 24 hours so cheques clearing and BACS payments should all clear at a minute past midnight.

This posses another problem, that, has this happened before and have we been charged for these quirks in their system. I know myself that Abbey have charged me on many occassions ££££ssss of bank charges and apart from them overcharging have they been grabbing extra charges due to this particular quirk. I have been given £10 so far for this - but watch this space as I fully intend to recover all that is owed to me.

My only concern on the bigger issue, is that from reading some of your postings Abbey have closed account! can they do this! Has anybody checked the terms and conditions for them closing accounts! is it legal!

Another question is has any one tried issuing a Statutory demand for the money in connection with claims for recovering these bank charges which I believe could be another avenue. Has anyone tried this route.

Finally, when one tries to recover the bank charges do you recover the whole amount or in accordance with OFT - I believe they say £12 is an acceptable amount

I look forward to receiving any feed back as I am just at the beginning

of recovering what is mine!!!!

Regards

Denise

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

icon9.gif Abbey Another Quirk Discovered!

Hi Guys

Have just joined this forum and I wanted to share with you all another one of Abbey's quirks. As well as asking for your help!!

A few weeks ago I made a bill paypayment to leave my account on the same day I knew I had a cheque clearing, also 2 bacs payments were also due in on that day as cleared funds. 2 days later I receive a letter from their operations department to say that I had insufficient funds to make the bill payment. Although on this occassion they did not charge me. This was I thought to be impossible since I had enough cleared funds on that day.

I raised this issue with their call centre in India - what a nightmare! eventually after a frustrating 30 minutes of time wasting someone who understood me took up my complaint and eventually called me back and explained to me that the money clearing in the account did not clear until 9am that morning but bill payments were scheduled to go out at 1 minute past mid night, therefore they said that I did not have funds at a minute past midnight. But surely in my eyes a day is 24 hours so cheques clearing and BACS payments should also clear at a minute past midnight.

This posses another problem, has this happened before and have we been charged for these quirks in their system. I know myself that Abbey have charged me on many occassions ££££ssss of bank charges and apart from them overcharging have they been grabbing extra charges due to this particular quirk. I have been given £10 so far for this - but watch this space as I fully intend to recover all that is owed to me.

My only concern on the bigger issue, is that from reading some of your postings Abbey have closed account! can they do this! Has anybody checked the terms and conditions for them closing accounts! is it legal!

Finally, when one tries to recover the bank charges do you recover the whole amount plus interest or in accordance with OFT - I believe they say £12 is an acceptable amount the difference on each transaction.

of recovering what is rightfully mine!!!!

Regards

DS

Hi Guys

Have just joined this forum and I wanted to share with you all another one of Abbey's quirks as well as getting your help!

I made a bill paypayment to leave my account on the same day as I knew I had a cheque clearing on that day and also 2 bacs payments were also due in on that day as cleared credits in my account. Two days later I receive a letter from their operations department to say that I had insufficient funds to make the bill payment. Although on this occassion they did not charge me. This was I thought was impossible since I had enough cleared funds on that day.

I raised this issue with their call centre in India - what a nightmare! eventually after a frustrating 30 minutes of time wasting someone who understood me took up my complaint and eventually called me back and explained to me that the money clearing in the account did not clear until 9am that morning but bill payments were scheduled to go out at 1 minute past mid night, therefore they said that I did not have funds at a minute past midnight. But surely in my eyes a day is 24 hours so cheques clearing and BACS payments should all clear at a minute past midnight.

This posses another problem, that, has this happened before and have we been charged for these quirks in their system. I know myself that Abbey have charged me on many occassions ££££ssss of bank charges and apart from them overcharging have they been grabbing extra charges due to this particular quirk. I have been given £10 so far for this - but watch this space as I fully intend to recover all that is owed to me.

My only concern on the bigger issue, is that from reading some of your postings Abbey have closed accounts! can they do this! Has anybody checked the terms and conditions for them closing accounts! is it legal!

Finally, when one tries to recover the bank charges do you recover the whole amount or the amounts over and above that the OFT have said what is acceptable I beleve that they say £12 is an acceptable amount

Regards

Denise

Hi and welcome, my advice is, read a few thread, and the FAQs you will discover that they havnt closed any accounts (at least f they have, then i havnt heard about then) but it is always wise to have a parachute account running.

You will find that Abbey are one of the hardest nuts to crack, but with perseverence and dedication, you will win, so welcome and good luck

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Hi Guys

Have just joined this forum and I wanted to share with you all another one of Abbey's quirks as well as getting your help!

I made a bill paypayment to leave my account on the same day as I knew I had a cheque clearing on that day and also 2 bacs payments were also due in on that day as cleared credits in my account. Two days later I receive a letter from their operations department to say that I had insufficient funds to make the bill payment. Although on this occassion they did not charge me. This was I thought was impossible since I had enough cleared funds on that day.

You go for it and yes I'd say its not unusual i had payments coming out of my account and by the time I'd gone into the bank to put the cash in, it was too late. I had a few words with the cashier and said until the closing of business, a payment should not be seen as late. i think they do this because they've found it to be lucrative.

My only concern on the bigger issue, is that from reading some of your postings Abbey have closed accounts! can they do this! Has anybody checked the terms and conditions for them closing accounts! is it legal!

They have closed other people's accounts before saying about a breakdown in the relationship. my advice is get parachute account. there is a link somewhere called "do you need a parachute account" I'll try and find it for you.

Finally, when one tries to recover the bank charges do you recover the whole amount or the amounts over and above that the OFT have said what is acceptable I believe that they say £12 is an acceptable amount

This ruling was on credit cards, not banks and to clarify, the OFT did not say £12 was acceptable it said more than £12 is the point at which they would automatically get involved. And to avoid this, many of these organisations have changed the amount they charge. The only way to decide if £12 or any other amount for that matter is acceptable is in a court of law which is why no bank has been in court to show their true costs.

Regards

Denise

You go get them!

Hi and welcome, my advice is, read a few thread, and the FAQs you will discover that they havnt closed any accounts (at least f they have, then i havnt heard about then) but it is always wise to have a parachute account running.

You will find that Abbey are one of the hardest nuts to crack, but with perseverence and dedication, you will win, so welcome and good luck

They've threatened to close mine and when i pointed out that i couldn't pay the overdraft all in one go and that id offer a reasonable offer of £5 a week because I'm on benefit, they said ok but i wont get an overdraft increase. i think they are just waiting for my payout to come through, so that they can pay themselves and and make a profit while the £ is sitting in that acc.

Claim the whole amount. The £12 is a red herring. OFT considered any fee over this would be unreasonable but DIDN'T say £12 was reasonable!

Please ensure you read ALL the FAQ section.

The debit credit timing is another of the banks little tricks they play with your money. Total sham really given that its all done electronically.

Claim the whole amount. The £12 is a red herring. OFT considered any fee over this would be unreasonable but DIDN'T say £12 was reasonable!

The debit credit timing is another of the banks little tricks they play with your money. Total sham really given that its all done electronically.

• Haha 1

Thanx for your help, I will take what you have said on board and I will go and get my money BACK!

Hi - take a bit of time to read up first to make sure that you have the facts before going too far ahead. Read the FAQs and template letters then have a good read around here to see how others are getting on. Keep any progress on your own claim or questions that arise in a new thread in the forum for your bank to make it easier for others to follow and advise you. There's a set of links in my sig below that will help you find where all this useful information is. Well done for getting started! :)

Apologies for problems with the site - this is due to a software upgrade.

This practise is common among all banks and does lead to a convenient method to be able to charge more. As far as the OFT and £12 is concerned - firstly, the statement was only in connection with Credit Card accounts - and secondly, it was a guideline and not an acceptable limit. By making an unlawful charge the whole amount is in dispute, not just a portion of it.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

• 2 weeks later...

:p I everyone Abbey have just written to me on this quirk of theirs and have agreed a further £25 in full and final settlement, they have already paid me £10 because I did have funds in my account and they did not honour the bill payment.

They say that you must have cleared funds in your account not just anticipated cleared funds. In my case I not only had an actual cheque clearing on that very day but also to BACS payments which were cleared funds. The moral was that they did the bill payment at 1 minute past midnight and the funds were not credited in my account until 9am that morning and by this time they had rejected my payment out which was important to me to be paid on time. This of course is nothing to what is coming their way my claim will be Bank Charges and interest will be far in excess of £5K so watch this space as soon as I have opened another bank account.

So everyone, keep up the pressure and get back what is rightfully yours.

DS

• 2 months later...

Hi All

It is now time to claim back my charges and interest from this shower. My actual charges over a six period comes to £4869.50, I calculated contractual interest at the vaying rates in accordance with what they have charged me and over a six year period is £1883.75 based on simple interest calculations. I would love to compound these figures as I am sure they would come to at least 5 x as much but after much deliberation I no not how!

My only dilema is, do I make this claim in one go and if so would it be in small claims using the MCOL, and if it is fast tracked what does this mean!ie do I have to fill a N! form or do I split it and claim first part and win before claiming the second part of the claim.

I am ready to send my pre-lim letter to Abbey and before I do I would appreciate some clarification on this point as I do not want to make a complete mess of it.

Thanks

DS

The Better Payment Practice Campaign. Interest Calculator. link from another thread on here as a way to figure out compound interest on each charge

or their are a couple of spreadsheets on here to figure out compund interest for you

i used vampiress's number 2 spreadsheet for compound contractural I can email it to you if you want it as her vault is down at the minute

as for whether to split your claim or not that is your choice

if you split the claim you run the risk of the courts thinking that you are abusing the court system it has been mentioned in some other threads so you then run the risk of the 2nd claim being thrown out due to this

not heard of it happening yet but there is a chance of it

if you go for the lot in one go it will mainly be the amount you pay to start the court action that varies £250 instead of 120 as it is for over £5000 in value but then to do 2 cases would cost you this to raise both actions

if you end up as one case you could end up on fast track but you can still request scc when it comes to AQ time in the proceeddings stating you didnt want to waste court time etc by spliting it down etc etc

also from some posts now that are over the 5000 claim mark it appears the banks are happy for scc overr fast track as they dont have Standard disclosure at scc level though you can request it but at fast track and above standard disclosure is obligitory

when sending your prelim letter use the one from the templates on here and you dont need to state what court action you are taking just that you intend to

I am not an egale legal and the views expressed are what i would do or believe to be correct are

MY CASE

Newbody Vs Abbey

NB: Please read the FAQs & step-by-step instructions thoroughly & completely before commencing any action

the following is a link to a web archive of abbey websites over the time click on month under year to access Abbey's site for that time period to get what the terms and conditions were for when you opened your account Internet Archive Wayback Machine hope it helps or here for where i have started to pull them out to http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/91707-archives-abbeys-web-pages.html

Advice & opinions given by me are my views or how i would respond, and are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group & are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions & actions are your own - if in any doubt, seek the opinion of a qualified professional

Hi. Ds

My Total Charges For Six Yrs Was £4087.excluding Interests However,when My Account Was Closed Under Default And Passed To Debth Collecting Agency I Had Appx £1700. O/d But When I Claimed On My Ni I Deducted The O/d Amount On The Charges Claimed To Bring The Figure Lower To £2387.and When Shabbey Settled This Is How They Worked Out:

Charges- 4087.50

Six Yrs Int-1422.08

Total- 5509.58

Minus O/d- 1701.03

Costs-- 220

Total Payable 4028.55

It Worked .

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I wrote a final letter before action last week giving them a further 7 days only, that is up tomorrow, they have now had almost 5 weeks.

A letter received today, states that they are still looking into my complaint and they thanked me for my continued patience ( patience I have not).

So, my question is do I issue a N1 claim as I think one cannot do it on a MCOL as the claim is over £5K and should just I go ahead and issue the claim as that is going to take at least a further 3 months for them to get to court stage etc. Then they will have plenty of time then to sort out my repayment!!.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks

DS

the letter you recieved is standard drag it out stuff (you may even find in another 2 weeks you get another letter with a GOGW in it but dont hold your breath and be sitting when u recieve it (through fear of falling over laughing) see my thread for further info .

follow your own timelines if you said you will file if no settlement then proceed as such remember this is your claim not theirs

also after you file when they offer figures to settle do not ofrget to mention you have filed at court and as such now are seeking reimbursement for this as well

I downloaded the N1 and filed at my local court so i knew everything had been sent that was required

the problem i think i have sen with using mcol is that you have to forward copies of your schedule of charges and space on the form is limited

MY CASE

Newbody Vs Abbey

NB: Please read the FAQs & step-by-step instructions thoroughly & completely before commencing any action

the following is a link to a web archive of abbey websites over the time click on month under year to access Abbey's site for that time period to get what the terms and conditions were for when you opened your account Internet Archive Wayback Machine hope it helps or here for where i have started to pull them out to http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/91707-archives-abbeys-web-pages.html

Advice & opinions given by me are my views or how i would respond, and are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group & are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions & actions are your own - if in any doubt, seek the opinion of a qualified professional

the letter you recieved is standard drag it out stuff (you may even find in another 2 weeks you get another letter with a GOGW in it but dont hold your breath and be sitting when u recieve it (through fear of falling over laughing) see my thread for further info .

follow your own timelines if you said you will file if no settlement then proceed as such remember this is your claim not theirs

also after you file when they offer figures to settle do not ofrget to mention you have filed at court and as such now are seeking reimbursement for this as well

I downloaded the N1 and filed at my local court so i knew everything had been sent that was required

the problem i think i have sen with using mcol is that you have to forward copies of your schedule of charges and space on the form is limited

Thanks for that, it was always my intention to go to court and not wait as I have done with the other claims, but was not sure if I could do a MCOL for over £5K.

DS

Well what a carry on, Abbey have today made me a GOGW £383.00 againts nearly £7K, they are having a laugh. Well not for long County Court Claim here I come and a very polite letter back to Abbey saying thankyou but no thankyou. ( I will accept it on a partial settlement)

Anyway what does this figure represent and why would they want to pay me anything if their charges were lawfull, it is a total mystery to me.

DS