Direct Debit cancelled by bank

nickmack
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6600 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a bit of a problem.

Because I had insufficient funds in my account to pay a direct debit to Sky Digital, after three months of the DD beig returned, the bank cancelled it.

They will now not allow Sky to apply under the same reference number and insist on a new mandate. Having called Sky, they tell me that my reference number is my account number and cannot be changed. I am only three months into a 12 month contract with Sky so cancelling the account and starting a new one is not an option.

It looks like neither the bank nor Sky will budge on this one, so I'm stuck!

Does anyone have any ideas how this might be resolved so that I can pay by DD? If I cannot, Sky will charge me an extra £4 a month!

All suggestions welcome!

Open a new, possibly BASIC bank account elsewhere.

Set up a standing order payment from existing account to new account to cover this - and obviously set up DD, from new account, with Sky.

:D

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Can't Sky take regular monthly payments from a debit card as opposed to DD? Might be worth asking them?

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

Hopefully there is a misunderstanding with the bank.

I feel that the bank are saying that they cannot reopen the mandate as it has been cancelled. They should let sky send them a new mandate.

I would setup a new mandate with Sky (over the phone to speed things up). Check it on payment date to see if it has gone out, if not pay immediately over the phone by debit card - you will have saved the £4, as on their system it is DD. If Sky query the status of the mandate fob hem off & say you'll contact the bank.

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

I asked Sky if there was any other way to pay such as Standing Order.

They said there would be a £4 surcharge for any other method than DD.

The DD has been cancelled by the bank, but the bank will not allow another mandate with the same reference number. Sky will not change the reference number.

I may have to make a SO payment to another current account and then pay the DD from this other account. What a pain!!

Have you asked your bank where in their t&c's that they have the right to cancel

a d/d [in direct contradiction to your instructions] and that they have the right to refuse a new d/d mandate? Threaten them with OFT and see if they back down.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6600 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks