CO will repay charges but no remove default.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6591 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

i have taken Capital one to courrt for unlawful charges they wrote to me saying they would refund the charges but would not remove the default. They said:

"With regards to your request for us to remove the default from your credit file. I cannot agree to this request, as we leegally have to record a true puicture of the payment history of your account. The default was not a direct result of the fees we added to your account. You regualrly used your card for purchases and if you accept my offer to refund £***.** back to your account, you'll still have a genuine balance of £***.** to pay."

Can they do this?

They are also asking for confidentiality agreement?? should i agree to this

Thank you for your help

Carli

They can do this, but it's only an offer, you don't have to accept!

I think you should reply by stating that you will accept the payment only on the basis that you will still persue the removal of the default, in court if necessary.

Tell them that you would be willing to accept a confidentiality agreement, but only if they remove the default, and award a payment for confidentiality - whatever you see fit, but why not £5000 ? You might think it's worth more....

• Confused 1

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

If yo did not include the issue of the default in the claim then you can not impose it as a condition at this stage. You can only insist on receiving what you have claimed and no more.

If they they are offering to settle your claim but are attaching a condition of confidentiality then you do not have to accept this and you can proceed to court as you are entitled to have your claim met in full and unconditionally.

If the deafult represented a debt comprised soley of charges at the time the default was made then i would advice you to challenge it useing the DPA mechanisms. read the FAQ in the library and the s.10 template.

I would suggest that you start off with the s.10 notice and then proceed with a court claim.

get your money back forst before you start any of this.

If you want to let us know a bit more about the figures then maybe we can give you more specific advice.

• Confused 1

Thank you jonny2bad and bankfodder,

I will do as you suggest, settle the account with regards to the money and the confidentiality and then persue the default, is this the most reccomended method?

I was going to ask for them to reinstate my card and interest? Would this work.

The default is on the claim, as the claim is made up of £570 in charges and £324.51 as a balance remaining after repayment. THis is more than half of the balance as you can tell.

I have looked at the FAQ's quickly and will re-read the section 10 template.

Any further suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Carli

I think you will be seriously pushing your luck asking them to re-instate your card, and I'd be amaed if they did.

Do I understand correctly that the mount you've recovered is less than the amount you owe? If so, then don't be surprised if they only agree to amend the default notice to the actual amount.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

get your money back first before you start any of this.

quote]

Absolutely.

I think chances of removal of the default are slim at best. Let us not forget however, that if the Capital One default is the only marking on your credit file that is seriously impacting your ability to get credit, then you can get Experian to mark the file with a "notice of correction" under that particular entry.

the notice of correction would enable you to highlight to lenders the fact that you settled out of court/or concluded IN YOUR FAVOUR with Capital One as per this debt. Whilst the note would not impact against computer credit scoring, it would enable you to discuss with potential lenders the circumstances surrounding that particular default...

just a suggestion? Get the money back first though!!

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6591 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks