Penalty charge on private property (Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours (double parked/obstruction)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 401 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I need some advice,

I have been given a parking ticket whilst being parked on private property,

I explained this is private property but still got a ticket as the traffic wardens were told to,

the ticket is Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours (double parked/obstruction),

as you can see where I am parked no obstruction was caused,

the property is owned privately that extends past the fence to the pathway. 

Does anyone have any advice as I want to fight this ticket in court if they have no grounds?

parking 1.pdf

Thank you

Can you prove that the boundary of the private property extends all the way to the road or pavement?

AFAIK and as I have always been led to believe, the DYL extend all the way from the road to the boundary of the property, so that could be to the fence line, or to the edge of the local authority owned pavement, I doubt the private property owns that tree your parked in front off does it?

Do you not get pulled over for your illegal number plate?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Your comments have been noted and I have confirmed with West Northants Highways that even though the land is designated as private property, it is part of the publicly maintained highway and that the PCN was therefore correctly issued.

The private landowner (or their predecessor) dedicated the area as Highway.

Kingswell Street was realigned and widened in the 90’s when St Peters Square shopping precinct was built and a width of private land was dedicated as highway down the west side of the road.

The land is still privately owned but responsibility is passed to the Highway Authority.

These are comments that have been passed onto me today by another person who had a ticket in the same spot.

parking 1.pdf

What's the cost of the ticket?

£35 quid??

What's the cost of arguing this minor issue out in court? You could probably add at least another zero on the end of that.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Clearly they can, as they've issued you with a ticket.

Try it, you never know, appeal the ticket, they'll either agree with you, but unlikely looking at the pictures, OR they'll agree with you and squash the ticket.

its dedicated to the highway by the land owner

so its not his responsibility to maintain it.

pay it quick, there is no principle to be argued here.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The reason I'm on this site is to get actual advice potentially from someone who has experience in this sector, i know this is private property as mention, this could be an edge case that needs fighting if necessary.  Not all tickets issued are lawful. 

Just now, dx100uk said:

its dedicated to the highway by the land owner

so its not his responsibility to maintain it.

pay it quick, there is no principle to be argued here.

dx

if this is the case should there not be signs stating that no parking is allowed?

The ownership of the land is not relevant, what matters here is that the land you are parked on has been designated a public highway (as I understand your post #4).

As it's public highway the normal rules about parking on the highway apply so the local council can issue a PCN where there are DYLs. The public highway appears to extend right up to the fence (not just up to the edge of the pavement)  but that is something you can check with the council. If it does extend up to the fence then you are parked on a public highway, who owns the land is irrelevant.

It is common for the freehold of public highways to be owned by a private owner. It doesn't in itself give you grounds to challenge a PCN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1