SLC/Thesis (Link DCA)- unauthorised address change means arrears and no age write off ?

PBR2000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya

I'll try and explain my situation briefly.

I received 3 mortgage style old loans from 94 to 96. They were sold to Thesis and transferred from the SLC in 2008. I also received another loan under the new income continent scheme directly from SLC in 2004.

I was deferring my mortgage style loans with Thesis until 2012 when communication stopped. My last deferment form was completed and sent back in 2012 and I never received another letter or phone call from them.

Fast-forward to this week. I finally managed to access my online account for the newer 2004 SLC loan (for the first time). After checking my correspondence there I discovered my address had been changed in 2012, about a month after I sent my final deferment. This had nothing to do with me, nor do I know anything about the address that was added.

4 further letters were sent to this mystery address, including a new deferment application form. Obviously I never received these. Having contacted Thesis I have been told the loans defaulted in 2013 and full payment is now due. I understand people say never to phone a DCA but:

I was aware it was way beyond the statute of limitations (11 years since last contact lol) so absolutely would be statute barred.

I needed to confirm no CCJs had been raised at the mystery address (the guy said no, but I checked with trust online to be certain).

i'm now beyond the 25-year point of the write off (would have been 2019 I believe). But it seems like I'm going to be stuck for life with this because of some random change to my address I was not aware of.

Can I do anything about this?

not your problem

they are statute barred

not going anywhere.

Link Financial (thesis) are a scammin DCA and have not done court on any old SLC debts in years now.

and even if they do, they know they'd lose.

you owe no-one nothing nor will you ever

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes Im not really worried about them trying to enforce it now. That should be pretty much impossible.

2 things:

- I was considering doing a post grad course. Pretty sure theres no chance of funding now with these loans defaulted.

- Im worried a future government might decide to rip up debt regulation and declare all debts (even just old student loans) are now enforceable regardless of whether they have been statute barred.

If at that time I was a property owner, Im worried about a charging order and repossession.

I though because this was there error, I might try the FOS and push to get the loans wiped/voided.

No the gov't would never change statute rules 

The debts are sold, so they should not prevent further funding 

Just ensure link have your current and correct address.

Never run from debt 

And no silly letter tennis!!

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thanks for the advice.

there's plenty of threads on CAG where people have been denied funding because of these old loans. they also appear impossible to write off.

is there something that gives you confidence a future government wouldn't change debt regulations to allow collection of statute barred debts?

as i said its a statute of law thats been around since eternity no they wont change it.

stop fretting about noting.

have you actually tried for a new loan.

just because your are supposedly in arrears on an old sold loan is not necessarily a route to refusal.

you would have to gather info via an sar to whomever you think changed the address , there could be info in the comms log.

dx

and they

no i haven't applied yet. you're right that would be the best test to see if the old loans would cause problems.

i guess i can take comfort in knowing the loans cant be enforced anymore. just a shame i cant get them writen off as I wasn't hiding or dodging them in any way.

yes i'll get a sar if i decide to go down the FOS route. if I take it futher i'll update this thread as i hope it might help other people with similar issues who find it through a web search.

before posting this i spent a lot of time reading the threads on CAG. to all the other people who start threads here - please keep the thread updated after any actions you take as it really helps others. most threads just end unresolved.

there are many threads where false arrears due to an admin mistake like yours are removed and the debt gets aged written off.

see theexamples on the FOS site too.

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to SLC/Thesis - unauthorised address change means arrears and no age write off ?
  • dx100uk changed the title to SLC/Thesis (Link DCA)- unauthorised address change means arrears and no age write off ?