Sony TV faulty within a year, who is responsible.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 373 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone.

I am posting this question on behalf of my Mother & Father in law who are both pensioners and don't really understand consumer rights etc.

OK, they bought a Sony 60" TV from Currys less than a year ago.   Over the weekend they noticed a sound problem and they switched it off hoping that would fix it.   Upon turning it back on the screen developed lines etc distorting the picture.

Not really knowing what to do they phoned Sony helpline and provided photos of the screen.   Sony came back saying their technical staff assessed the problem as being caused by "physical" damage, ie, TV being dropped or similar.   My in laws categorically deny this and i believe them.

What I want to know is that obviously the TV is within manufacturers 1 year warranty but Sony seem to absolving themselves of responsibility by fobbing the in laws off basically saying they damaged the TV themselves without even physically checking the TV and forming an opinion from an emailed photo!

I would welcome any advice as to their rights in a case like this.   I firmly believe that the TV has developed a fault and not been deliberately or accidentally damaged.   Do the in laws have a case against Currys?

Regards

Gary

• garygumps changed the title to Sony TV faulty within a year, who is responsible.

currys are your target

as this outside of 6mts, they will have to pay for and get a report done 

forget any warranties, they mean nothing.

i would also research the same TV and see if any others have had the same issues.

it is weird that supposed physical damage caused an initial sound issue.

it smacks to me that this is most probably a power supply fault that is what has caused both the  screen and sound problems.

these are the most regular reasons for sony TV failure.

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd keep you updated with this.

So Currys would not entertain anything insisting that because it was still within manufacturers 1 year warranty period that I should contact Sony.

Duly did this again and again they insisted that the tv was deliberately damaged.  They referred me to a local service centre (who I have used before actually and trust them) who assessed the fault by way of photograph and agreed that the TV screen had suffered from some sort of impact.  They also said that it could not be repaired as Sony did not supply the required parts!

So looks like we are at a dead end with this and just have to write it off.

The parents are insisting that they didn't damage the TV

Unless, of course there is any other course of action?

time to start the court claim process then.

you'll win easy against curry's with consumer rights act 2015 behind you.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx

Claim for what exactly?  Unsatisfactory quality?

But surely it is our word against 2 experts (Sony and the repair shop) as to the cause of any "damage".

I just can't see any court going against them unfortunately 😐

Dx

That claim link in your post seems to be about being the defendant in a small claim?

Are you suggesting I issue a small claim against Currys?  Even though expert evidence is suggesting that the TV was deliberately or accidentally damaged, although the owners vehemently deny this.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2023 at 22:00, garygumps said:

Hello everyone.

I am posting this question on behalf of my Mother & Father in law who are both pensioners and don't really understand consumer rights etc.

OK, they bought a Sony 60" TV from Currys less than a year ago.   Over the weekend they noticed a sound problem and they switched it off hoping that would fix it.   Upon turning it back on the screen developed lines etc distorting the picture.

Not really knowing what to do they phoned Sony helpline and provided photos of the screen.   Sony came back saying their technical staff assessed the problem as being caused by "physical" damage, ie, TV being dropped or similar.   My in laws categorically deny this and i believe them.

What I want to know is that obviously the TV is within manufacturers 1 year warranty but Sony seem to absolving themselves of responsibility by fobbing the in laws off basically saying they damaged the TV themselves without even physically checking the TV and forming an opinion from an emailed photo!

I would welcome any advice as to their rights in a case like this.   I firmly believe that the TV has developed a fault and not been deliberately or accidentally damaged.   Do the in laws have a case against Currys?

Regards

Gary

I had the same issue so many calls after calls eventually i got through to someone but still no luck I found this phone number on a post on another Forum someone called Nathan apparently head of service 30 minutes later I was sorted and item exchanged !!! 07921633673 , he was angry i had his number but it got me sorted :)

Mine was DPD related but sure he will help

• Like 1