£1000 of damage caused to power wheelchair on Easyjet flight in DECEMBER - CLAIM STILL UNSETTLED

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey folks - i wonder if anyone out there can help or advise me....

On December 18th last year i was travelling from Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt to Manchester on an EASYJET flight with my electric wheelchair

Before being loaded into the plane the seat of the wheelchair had to be removed (in the ambilift) to fold the backrest down. The seat, it seems was left behind in Sharm El Sheikh. Replacement cost was around £400 and Easyjet settled within around 3 days.

HOWEVER it seems that due to an oversight or misunderstanding between ground staff or baggage handlers, when the chair (now minus seat) was removed from the aircraft it was left on the tarmac, in freezing rain for almost two hours. When it was finally returned to the baggage area its LED lights (value approx £750)were hanging by their cables around the chair and damage had been done to a plastic cable protection structure behind the seat . It was very clear that handlers had picked the chair (175kg) up by the rubberised lights, and then in all likelihood pulled the chair backwards by the plastic cable protection structure.

The damage was reported at the time and airport staff took numerous photos 

However now TWO MONTHS LATER..... whilst they HAVE acknowledged liability I have not received payment for damaged items

I have sent emails, made repeated phone calls, been frequently promised calls back..... even been told that the payment would be back in my bank in 3-7 working days and NOTHING. Now Customer Service say its the responsibility of Special Assistance and they say that there is no way to contact anyone in Claims Dept other than by email which could take 7-14 days and i should JUST WAIT

I am getting desperate i simply cannot afford to make the repairs from my own funds and cannot use the wheelchair without them being done

Can someone please help?????

Hi, first thing is you should stop calling them (or believe a promise of a callback) and do all your dealings in writing. Being given an email is not a bad thing at all, in fact it's a blessing! I suggest you write immediately and CC yourself so you keep a copy of the email.

Now I am a bit familiar with damaged luggage - which you need to fill a claim form with the airline with within 7 days - but I don't really know what happens to wheelchairs, sorry... If they are considered normal luggage there might be a maximum the airline won't go over... somewhere around USD1500 i think?! just be aware.

Anyway have you actually filled some form of a formal claim with the airline in writing and more importantly do you have the receipt + reference number?

Have you got a quote for the cost of your repairs done? I suggest you just send them a fairly dry email that says something like "You damaged my chair on X day, I have shown you all evidence. You will need to pay this quote in full by 14 days or I will be initiating legal proceedings to recover the full cost and damages + interest as I am currently unable to use this wheelchair" or similar.

Oh yeah do you have a travel insurance? They'd probably insist you get paid by Easy Jet, but they might be able to assist.

Once you start doing all your dealings in writing with them as one should, and decide to take them to SCC, someone will be here to advise how to write a letter of claim etc...

• Like 1