Suspected drunk driver write off and registration change advice needed

N3wbie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 476 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm hoping you can help me with this:

1. Was smashed off the road by a suspected drunk driver, complete write off - other driver refused breathalyser at scene and was arrested.
  2. They seemed fine, but I sustained several injuries.
  3. Police officer asks me for a statement, then tells me the car is not insured. I said that's crazy, I insured it the day I bought it.
  4. I proceeded to download the policy in front of the officer, and showed the document. The officer said it was for a different registration. It was then that I suddenly realised I may have forgotten to tell the insurer.
  5. I'm sure everyone says this, but I was being very careful. The other driver was utterly wreckless, it was as if they were trying to dash across the junction without stopping. I even had full beam on. I think it was the crazy speed they were doing and their state of mind that combined to create this perfect storm I'm in now!
  6. Car has valid MOT, recent services and a brand new set of Michelins all round. It was performing so well.

Before I'm vilified for not notifying my insurer of the reg change, I certainly did not do it on purpose. I notified the HP company and the DVLA at the time (late October - around 4wks after start of policy). I have since found it is only £5.50 to make this change and there's no way I would avoid that for this car! I am learning a very valuable and hard life lesson here. But I really need some sound advice to help me take this forward and ensure I am covered appropriately.

As far as I can tell, the insurer cannot refuse to insure the vehicle unless they would have refused to insure the car with the requested change. I understand this in terms of modifying a vehicle, not something I have done at all. However, this implies that a registration change is not an unreasonable request, nor one that should be refused by Admiral.

Please, please, please, can you advise me how to approach the insurers and what I need to ask for? I have never been involved in an accident like this before so appreciate all advice.

Do I need to beg for some kind of indemnification?

Are they allowed to reduce cover?

Hi Honeybee

Yes. It's exactly the same car, VIN the same etc. No changes. Just private plate put on.

Sorry if I am not that clear. I'm laid up in bed struggling to move easily and headaches are bad atm!

So, drunk driver's car insured and hit us hard.

Our car a write off. Police said mine was coming up as uninsured on that registration (the private plate).

I proceeded to show the insurance policy and original registration to show policy was taken out for my car.

I just changed the plate.

I'm worried because it's an HP and I need to make sure the money is repaid to them by the other side.

you need to speak to admiral.

if they have a record of the VIN Number, then it should not be an issue.

once you have that issue sorted

you need to contact the legal owner of the car, the finance company and tell them it's a write off.

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok, thank you dx100uk. That makes sense. I'll check that with them. 

I feel like a right idiot for not sorting it out. I guess I forgot this one. Not making excuses, I should have done it, but it was an honest mistake.

Spoke to Admiral. They need me to make a claim as they do not hold the VIN unless a claim is made. 

Wouldn't they conduct a search for the vehicle using the original reg and all that info is pulled from the DVLA? And I'm guessing the DVLA would also give them the VIN as part of that?

What I have done though is change the reg to the private plate. So, although technically not the reg from yesterday, it proves they have no problem insuring me and my premium went up by £5.50 to account for the charge I guess.

Should have the documents ready for download shortly and then I will make the claim so my reg on Admiral's system matches the police report.

You are a genius. Just checked in my folder. Have both. Photographed both, and sent off to insurers. It's the same car, they accepted the modification to my policy the day after the incident for £5.50. So I would like to think I stand a better chance with all this evidence. It wasn't intentional but I understand why it's wrong - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Much better thanks. I was a wreck yesterday.

And when the officer said there was no insurance I was really worried. I was able to give my policy number and show the original mark though and they wrote it down.

I called 101 today and went through to the county police HQ and they said well if there was an issue with the insurance then they should have checked that by now, and would have arrested me then or by this morning so that's a good sign hopefully!

Tip: if it was a private plate on your car get an application to the DVLA to get it put onto a retention certificate otherwise you will lose it once the car is declared a write off and the claim settled - it's interesting that when this happened to me the DVLA reassigned the original reg number to the vehicle so it might answer your other problem.

• Like 2

Quick update:

Admiral were taking a very long time to get in touch. I was waiting for a long time 

using online chats, hours waiting on phone lines etc. My head injury has caused me to speak slower, type slower, think slower, and move slower in general at the moment. I'm hoping and praying for a full recovery soon.

After getting fed up with the status quo and being incapable of listening to their hold music any longer, I emailed the CEO of Admiral directly. I said it needed to be resolved that day. The CEO responded within half an hour and claims team called within the hour.

In summary:

1. Confirmed all insured fine and that this is the same car I insured with Admiral. Useful to have both V5C documents. Reg change has been taken care of.
  2. Clear non-fault accident.
  3. Total loss settlement team will have a figure in a few days (assured by CEO). Originally assumed a total loss, but have also asked them to verify this as I do not know for sure. It was dark and we ended up off the road.
  4. I will be contacted by management regarding my complaint.
  5. They are still confirming the other driver was insured as their registration had a mistake. I believe it to be an honest one, but they need to verify this with the other side first.
  6. Identity of other driver: unknown. Have requested this from police, but presume insurers will need to find this out once report finalised. I haven't even been contacted by the police for a statement after the incident.
  7. Personal injuries to driver and passenger: was recommended by Admiral to Admiral Law. Not entirely impressed with their setup so I will hopefully be instructing a firm I know and trust to handle the case.

All in all, a pretty good result. We could be dead, and I prefer the glass half full view. Just hard to get going when the brain is so slow!

A big thank you to all of you for helping me. I'm usually pretty on it and capable. But I really needed your help and I thank you for your time and patience.

• Thanks 1

You've done really well and I hope Admiral have given you peace of mind.

I don't think I'll be asking Plod for insurance advice. :)

Don't forget where we are and if you have time, have a look around the forums and see if there's anything else we can help with. Some people end up helping on threads where they can.

I hope your head injury and the brain fog improve soon.

HB

• Like 1

Illegitimi non carborundum