Flooding in a privately owned council flat due to fire 8 floors above

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 494 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Dad owns his own flat on the ground floor of a council flat.

He returned home one day recently to discover flooding in his flat and no working lights, he was told it was due to a fire on the 8th floor, only he lives on the ground floor.

As he wasn't in, we don't know how this has specifically happened, but he has recently had sprinklers installed.

We are struggling to work out how to go about getting the lights repaired, he has tried to ask people in his building, but as he owns his flat they haven't been forthcoming with any advice.

I have found the policy for his home insurance and can only see contents insurance, I can't see any additional cover.

My Dad is 76 and partially sighted, so he's going to need help getting to the bottom of this.

Would the council have expected him to have building insurance that I'm not aware of and are they liable for the flooding?

Any advice on where to start would be a big help.

as the council are the overall building owner, they are your 1st port of call and are responsible for fixing his lights imho.

how are you suggesting the flooding occurred?

are you saying because the 8th floor had a fire, all the building sprinklers activated so his activated as well?

i would guess it was so and its the floors above that has caused his lighting circuit to trip with water travelling down, as his sprinklers will be below his light fitting.

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...