Insurance check following NIP?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 432 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ADMINS, please move if appropriate. Not sure if this should be asked under ‘Insurance’ or ‘Speeding and Motoring Offences’.

My Son occasionally uses his Mother’s car to drive from the south coast to the north of England and back. His Mother’s insurance is for her only driving so he separately insures himself driving it for a fixed time period (timed from payment).

Returning this time, he got held up in a 3 hour traffic delay on the A1 that caused him to still be en-route after the insurance time limit had passed, although nearly at the end of the journey.

His Mother has now received a NIP for the speeding, requesting driver details. The NIP states 46mph in a 40 limit. This was near to the end of the journey but after the time his own insurance had expired.

My Son fully accepts the speed and, being eligible, would do a Speed Awareness Course, if offered.

Now the question…..

Although the car would have been listed in the MIB database under his Mother’s policy, would/do they check for my Son (same surname) when the NIP form is returned naming him as driver - or do they later ask him for insurance details?

We are not thinking of lying but asking for some peace of mind in the interim period.

The police do not routinely carry out insurance checks when processing a speeding allegation. All you can do is respond to the request for driver's details and let nature take its course. I doubt very much whether there will be any insurance consequences. That said, of course, it is fortunate he was not involved in an accident during the period he was uninsured. There certainly would have been consequences then.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thanks, MitM.

Speed Awareness Course now offered (and promptly booked!).

Having checked, his timed short term insurance had expired about 40 minutes before the camera offence! Although not yet in the clear on this, his concerns regarding that complication seems to have passed.

Thanks.