Return of an item purchased online - retailer states I need to take it to store

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a bottle of Vodka online from Waitrose before Christmas.  The seal on the bottle was damaged so I contacted Waitrose customer service to raise a return.

At first they advised they would arrange a Yodel collection of the item however once I asked them what day the collection would occur they then advised as I was only returning x1 bottle, that I needed to take it to a store.

I've told them subsequently that if they don't' arrange a collection or some other method for me to be able to return the item that I will instruct my bank to perform a chargeback and give them 30 days to collect their damaged item.

Can anyone advise regards the requirements for them to offer a method return of goods purchased via distance selling?  Making me go to store, which I'm not prepared to do, seems unfair and an avoidance of their obligations.

just do a chargeback 

if they want their property they can send you a free label.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes do a chargeback.

However Waitrose's returns policy says you can arrange a collection from home and does not say that there is a minimum size or value to obtain this. So a bit out of order here. I'd be tempted to quote that too them and say that unless they arrange a collection you're going for a chargeback.

"How do I return an item/items?

You may return your items(s) via any Waitrose & Partners (except branches in Welcome Break; the Channel Islands; Scotland; Wales; Foodhalls at John Lewis & Partners; and Waterside).

Simply take your item(s) to the branch Welcome Desk along with the delivery note. You'll receive an email to confirm when we have received the item/items at our Cellar by Waitrose & Partners central warehouse.

Then we will refund you as promptly as possible but usually with 7 days of the goods being received at our central warehouse.

Alternatively, we can arrange for your item(s) to be collected from your home. Please contact us (see delivery note) and we will arrange for a courier to collect the item(s), usually the next working day (we are unable to make collections on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays).

We will refund you as promptly as possible but usually with 7 days of the goods being received at our central warehouse."

• Like 1

I referenced the returns details shared by Santorini along with a URL to the page and reiterated that I will action a chargeback.

They replied today advising that they will refund the cost of the Vodka and that they recommend I do not drink it if I feel that the seal has been damaged.

I'm certainly not going to drink it! 

I'll see if the refund appears in the next few days...  

I guess the time/effort/cost of dealing with the chargeback outweighs the cost of refunding and not cost effective to return just one item?

• Like 1

Well done and I'd go with time saved for you and them.

Have look at this as to whether it would be unsafe to drink. So a taste might tell you if it's OK or not.

WWW.KITCHENSANITY.COM

Does vodka go bad? How long does vodka last? A sealed bottle of vodka can last almost indefinitely. Here is how to store it and know when it has gone bad.

• Like 1

it is a bottle of this:

WWW.WAITROSECELLAR.COM

Order Vestal Black Cherry Vodka Vodka online today from Waitrose Cellar

...so the discolouration my not be able to spot.

The seal itself was damaged and 'half off'.  I don't believe the stopper had been removed.  Do you think it may be ok to get Mrs P to try it first? :-)

They only refunded the £18 cost of the Vodka initially, despite advising they would refund the full £23.95 (item + delivery) so I had to contact them again to ask for the delivery fee to be refunded also.

Now I've been refunded in full (and Mrs P is still alive).

Thanks for your advise/support!