Refused boarding by Ryanair - MCOL - sorry it's long!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Update

They attended court and their entire defence was based on the fact that it is my (then) 13 year old daughter who should have brought the claim and then I should have litigated on her behalf and I therefore acted unreasonably in bringinb the claim.

The judge and the defending barrister both agreed the evidence I presented clearly showed that I was right in my argument and that the timeline was in fact 72 hours but, their argument re my daughter being the claimant was an issue. The judge actually said I was "scrupulous" in my approach to the claim.

Based on the point of law they used and the fact that aviation law apparently ousts contractual law, the judge said he had no choice but to  dismiss the case and he immediately refused the defence's request for costs, which they claimed they were entitled to due to my acting unreasonably.

In all honesty, we didn't win but we definitely weren't the biggest loser on the day. The judge suggested we might consider bringing the claim again but in my daughters name. 

The most ironic part was that the judge was a pilot so there was definitely no throwing technical airline/aviation jargon around to confuse me, he explained everything clearly and kindly!

We had kissed goodbye to our £££ last September so we're only worse off by thd hearing fee and it was worth it to see them walk out empty handed!!

• Thanks 2

Totally your call on re-issuing, but:

a) as a self-represented litigant against a large business : will almost certainly be allocated to your local county court, not theirs

b) it is a lot of work, but you’ve done most of it already, so will it be the same amount on a repeat claim?

Would a low risk approach be worth sending them a repeat Letter of claim (on your daughter’s behalf) and seeing if they fold based on them having seen the strength of the original claim (with the technicality of the claimant resolved)?

• Like 2
  • I agree 1

Defering responsibility to a child to dodge liability, deliberately keeping their cards close to their chest until the very last minute, shows you what kind of games they play. Disgusting games.

Congratulations on holding strong and not losing! :cheer2:Cheering for you if you take it to round 2  :cheer2:

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Bazza and Kyosanto.

This is hassle you don't need but really you've already put all the hard work in, your case is complete.

In fact they have admitted in open court "the defending barrister agreed the evidence I presented clearly showed that I was right in my argument and that the timeline was in fact 72 hours".

I'm surprised the judge didn't disallow the argument about your daughter.  The parties are not supposed to ambush the other side with last-minute arguments.

Please post up a draft Letter of Claim/Letter Before Action.  Include the part that they have admitted in open court that you were right in your argument.

If they have any sense they will fold and pay up instantly, but never underestimate the arrogance of these companies to have to always be in the right.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread