Should we trust Sunak or the next PM to fix the Country's problems? (title revised 24/10/22)

So, with his utter failure to present anything other than a brief and quantumly transient and faint glimmer of any sort of leadership (at best) at GOP,

- I am expecting Sunak to try to recover at least a hint of pass-ability (at best) at the G20 where he can have some cheap pops at Russia and Putin and promise a few sidewinders for the very credible NASAMs the yanks have supplied.

Russia is apparently asking the Iranians to supply some ballistic missiles that will not only evade the NASAM launched short-medium range anti drone/plane missiles (like sidewinders), but would potentially step up long range  bombardment of Ukrainian Cities - if supplied.

I mean, its not like Putin will be funding Sunak will he? Sunak just isnt incompetent enough.

No doubt Russian funds, net-bots and trolls will be concentrated on getting Johnson and Truss back.

On a trivial, flippant and lighter note:

“There are hundreds of MPs and peers who have managed to – probably for the first time in some peers’ life – download an app to vote for somebody,” he told Times Radio. “So I’m assuming that doesn’t mean great things for Matt.”

- Northern Ireland secretary Chris Heaton-Harris

Even Tories hate these 'Torys

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

That's an interesting prospect, Tories voting for Door Matt to be punished on I'm a Celeb, lol.

This item would be comic if it wasn't so serious. Tragic stuff if Angola thinks the UK should be kinder to poor people.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Call over protecting most vulnerable citizens comes before UN review of Britain’s human rights record

• Sad 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Torys pi55ing on more rules and reqs to save themselves (and the DUP)

Requirement for elections due to DUP refusing to do the job they were voted in to do and are being paid for 'put of by 6 weeks, and then a further 6 weeks, and then ...

Just dont pay the DUP while they refuse to do the job - including clawing back what they've been paid

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Northern Ireland Secretary Chris Heaton-Harris is due to confirm his next steps in addressing the powersharing vacuum at Stormont later on...

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

I wondered how long it would be before Kwarteng turned up again. This is only a clip of the interview with Tom Newton-Dunne last night; the rewrite of history has started.

He doesn't mention that after the mini-budget he said there was 'more to come', or that he went to a champagne reception with hedge funders who are said to have encouraged him on what to do next and could well have profited from further market movements.

The overall impression I got was that he still thinks they were right and most economists, the OBR and the markets were wrong.

• I agree 1

Kwarteng refused to apologise for the mess or for people paying more for their mortgages. He said bond yields and interest rates had gone down again but completely ignored that the BoE had to spend gazillions on gilts to stop the market crashing.

Prof Tim Bale has a good quote about the interview.

Sorry but, honestly, this really is absolute bo**ocks from Kwasi 'more tax cuts to come' Kwarteng. Mate, you needed to warn Liz Truss *before* your mad mini-Budget, not after it!

• I agree 1

aka We should have snuck it in so they didn't realise until it was too late

The Tory Legacy

Now Gavin Williamson has gone, I'm sure the press are trying to dig up what they can about Braverman.

The Guardian is also writing about Raab at the MoJ. The Mirror says he's been nicknamed The Incinerator because he burns through staff so quickly.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Exclusive: Some civil servants may have still been traumatised by his previous stint there, sources say

A couple of people have tweeted that it's starting to sound like the problems John Major had after he launched his Back to Basics campaign. So many scandals turned up about ministers and MPs that he ended up looking ridiculous.

LOL back to basics

aka Tory basics of rich lord of the manor who everyone, including local police kowtow to

as demonstrated with the Tory HQ party (which senior police probably attended) where the chief (was forced to) resigned ovetr his 'errors of judgement - but the met give him a pass

Whys ghas Cress - leader of a met where arrests of crims fell, and officers routinely talked about rape and beatings

- whens her damehood and golden parachute being clawed back for 'running a force that now needs disbanding.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

The Resolution Foundation has calculated that the Truss/KK mini-budget accounts for half of the fiscal black hole.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Analysis shows former PM was responsible for half of the Treasury’s £60bn fiscal hole as chancellor prepares to announce cuts in Thursday’s budget

• Sad 1

Another one. We're trapped by a conspiracy of silence.

WWW.NEWSTATESMAN.COM

Jeremy Hunt’s comments show how far we are from a rational debate about the economic consequences of leaving the EU.

Seems around half of the black hole in the UK's finances can be laid directly at the feet of Truss and Kwasi

I think we should start by docking their Parliamentary pensions until its paid, along with an attachment on earnings - leave them with national minimum wage - dock the rest.

The Tory Legacy

On 09/11/2022 at 16:44, tobyjugg2 said:

something that seems far more insidious coming out in the williamson saga

If you listen to the channel 4 report with his former deputy

It stells of a loan/gift being made to an MP having some financial troubles, with Williamson reported as stating when flashing the cheque 'make sure you know I now own him ..

Bad enough of itself, but then the report goes on that it 'happened that funds were 'lent/given to MP's and that the source was either the Party or a doner

.. so doners were funding Tory MP's 'financial problems' with 'williamson considering that it meant 'he owned them'

WWW.CHANNEL4.COM

It's exactly a fortnight since Rishi Sunak became prime minister with a promise to put integrity at the heart of his administration.

So another long drawn out ineffectual 'investiwhitewash ..

Sir Gav said he didn't - case closed.

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Staffer claims then chief whip said he ‘owned’ a colleague because he granted access to hardship funds

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Latest news and updates on Ukraine counter offensive

Serious but possibly the result of Ukrainian missile intercepts during the days heavy Russian missile attacks on Ukraine

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

I keep saying I've never seen anything like this, but here's another one.

The Guardian understands that top officials at the Ministry of Justice, Raab’s current department, have now ruled that there should always be a senior civil servant in the room in meetings with him due to the recent allegations.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

PM says he is not aware of any formal complaints about deputy but refuses to say if he has been told of informal bullying claims

Not that I intend to defend Rabb - IMO hes a Piers Morgan

but being blunt and/or brusk and not respecting 'the niceties' in the face of incompetence does not represent bullying IMO.

Doing a doodoo job and expecting 'the niceties' seems more like 'bullying, IMO.

No surprises there from me I think.

Not saying that is the case, and from reports I read on Patel and Bravermans and Williamsons antics - I'd say they were bullying and inappropriate

Not actually seen that so far in Rabbs case.

Calling people woke for expecting civil and decent 'tones or at least some moderation in tone when they are doing a fine job on the other hand ...

But one persons interpretation of doing a good job may not be anothers.

IMO its doing the good job (on all sides) that is paramount, not waffling pleasantries.

Again - No surprises there from me I think.

and as we've seen here, waffling some pleasantries oft doesn't get you an answer either .....

:-)

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Bit fed up with these media battles between those on either side of politics who throw around accusations without much evidence.

Those subject to bullying should make formal complaints using the correct procedures and people can then comment once outcome is known.

Agree being blunt/rude is not bullying, but if this behaviour is repeatedly targeting an individual then it can be bullying. So if for example a minister was constantly shouting out critical judgements about performance of a member of their team, then this could be considered bullying.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

2 hours ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Agree being blunt/rude is not bullying, but if this behaviour is repeatedly targeting an individual then it can be bullying.

or extensive repeated errors/failures/incompetence on the part of the receiver.

We aren't talking about ordinary jobs here, they are highly paid and expected to be highly competent.

2 hours ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

So if for example a minister was constantly shouting out critical judgements about performance of a member of their team, then this could be considered bullying.

I broadly agree - they should be under disciplinary procedures if their performance is that bad ..

Bluntness is one thing - hurling ranting abuse is another although the boundary is rather grey

1 hour ago, honeybee13 said:

I can't remember the specifics of what Patel did, but was it worse than building a 'culture of fear' which is what's being said about Raab?

I think thats the real issue HB.

WTFleck is a 'culture of fear'? other than the sort of soundbite we rail at when used by the populists?

Well paid person asked to do something thats part of their job and they dont do it leaving their boss in a difficult potion for the 7th time. They get berated and told to buck up and get it done by close of play today or their jobs on the line.

They are afraid ...

alt

Arsewipe boss wants secretary to sort out his incompetence and do all his work, and blames secretary for his failings ranting and threatening secretary

- secretary is afraid

The Tory Legacy

In the meantime, and in aid of Brexitish xenophobes apoplexy

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Move is rebuff to Suella Braverman, who voiced ‘reservations’ about migrants from subcontinent

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

A very short article in the Grauniad says Raab has asked for an independent enquiry [shame there's no official standards adviser yet] into two formal complaints against him. In the meantime he'll stay in post.

That should kick the can down the road for a while.

• I agree 1

In the meantime, on the subject of Buttstain bosses threatening staff ..

Lets hope the cream of the crop already have other positions offered, and take the 3 months pay and skip ..

“This will mean working long hours at high intensity,” he said, according to a number of reports. “Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.”

"Staff were forced to click “yes” on a link to pledge themselves to the “new Twitter”, with a commitment required by Thursday. If they do not sign that pledge, they will be fired with three months pay, the email reportedly threatened."

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Midnight email warns staff of ‘long hours at high intensity’

The Tory Legacy

More on the Raab story. One of the complaints was submitted in the spring.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Deputy PM and justice secretary says he has written to Rishi Sunak to request independent investigation