Festival camping change of T&Cs

lt4waf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 719 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for the following, and am looking for a general consensus or thoughts on whether i have cause to take action or not?  It's long winded but I've tried to be as concise as possible with the facts of the matter. 

We booked a festival ticket for an event running from Friday to Monday, in addition we booked via a separate 3rd party company a luxury tent in that companies camp site within the festival. This was at a considerable cost. 

Sometime after the purchase of the festival ticket, the organisers announced acts for the Thursday night and an early entry ticket for that night at a reduced cost.  

We are not in a position to purchase an early access ticket, as we're unable to change our plans. 

On the festival forum those who had purchased an early access ticket for Thursday entry questioned whether they would be able to have an extra night in the luxury tents, otherwise what would they do?

The festival organisers said they would be able to. However when we queried the 3rd party they explicitly stated their site was not available on Thursday and would only be open Friday to Monday. 

A number of other people reported the same response.

It was on that understanding that we did not actively try to make arrangements that would have allowed us to purchase an early access ticket. 

Then all of a sudden the 3rd party changed its position and an email was received to say anyone booked into the 3rd party site would have a free night on Thursday if they had paid the festival organisers the small amount for the early access ticket. 

It doesn't seem at all fair some can benefit from this, and some cannot, and I've no problem with anyone who does benefit. 

I've messaged the 3rd party and they maintain the terms and conditions haven't changed, they've just added an extra free night that anyone with an early access ticket can take advantage of.

This was not the case at the point of sale, because if it was we would have made arrangements to take advantage, instead we were only made aware after they changed their minds to permit this, and we're now not in a position to benefit. 

I believe the terms and conditions have changed, and as a consequence I'm paying for a 4 night luxury Tent, and only receiving 3 nights.  

I believe it is reasonable to receive either a refund for one night based on the cost now covering 4 nights, or a free night, and a refund of the cost of one night based on the original total of the 3 night contract. 

Am i right or being stupid?

Thank you. 

You are receiving what you bargained for / accepted, for both contracts (site access & tent). Did you book the tent for 4 nights, knowing you could only use 3.

if the tent had been available for 3 nights only: you could have contracted for that.

if it wasn’t, and your choice was “pay for 4 nights, get 3 nights use” or “don’t book” - you made your choice, and agreed a contract.

They are now offering others more, but provided you are receiving what you contracted for and no less, you don’t have a cause of action.

If you might get the extra tent night free, but only if you pay the access fee : you are still no worse off!

if you want to get “more value” from the tent contract : consider paying the site’s early access fee. If you choose not to you’ll still get what you originally contracted for so aren’t actually worse off, even if you feel slighted.

Edited by BazzaS
  • Thanks 1

They haven't changed the T&C of your booking. You booked for 3 nights and that's what you've got. 

Because the festival, after you had booked, added an extra night to its programme the camp site decided to make an extra night of camping available and offered it to you free as an existing customer. You are unable to take up the extra night. I don't see how they can be liable to you because you have commitments elsewhere that prevent you taking up the offer of an extra night. The offer is there but you've chosen not to accept it. 

It's no different in principle to a supermarket 4 for the price of 3 offer. If you only buy 3 Tesco won't reduce the price.

So no I don't think you have any grounds for complaint or action against the camp site operator. They haven't breached their contract with you and they aren't responsible for the festival organiser extending the festival after you had booked.

• Like 1

Thank you, very much appreciated, you've helped clarify, and the situation now seems very clear to me. I'll concentrate instead on enjoying the event with the family 😂

• Like 1