Won car auction due to glitch, will be charged a relist fee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 797 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I won a car at a well known salvage auction site.

Problem is I was bidding on the car before the vehicle I won and the bids just would not go through . I  spam clicked the frozen button but the bid finally registered on the next vehicle which I won.

This is not the first time it has happened, before this I kept clicked and it went through with a large bid which I did not sanction.

Their terms are 10% of the auction fee for relisting which is around £3k which I cannot afford to pay. I wouldn't be able to prove the glitch when

when the inevitable debt collection process goes through, what's the worst that can happen as I am terrified and quite upset this has happened to me.

thanks in advance anyone who can help

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

• vivbailey changed the title to Won car auction due to glitch, will be charged a relist fee

Debt collectors are totally powerless and are not BAILIFFS.

What is the site saying, have you complained their site locked up and your bid went through on the wrong vehicle?

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for your reply and help here.

I can post their terms. Doesn't actually say anything about non-payment of relist fee.

I have seen others online in the same situation that have had the bill posted to their account and locked/banned from using the site until bill is paid.

One user on trustpilot stated they threatened with debt collectors. So I'm just unclear how far they'll take it. I'm sure they get this alot so unlikely they'll pursue seriously? I seamlessly purchased and paid for a car recently with them and that would be unfortunate but I'll accept it.

"Vehicle Relist

:If the sale price and all applicable fees are unpaid at the close of business 6 calendar days after the auction the vehicle will automatically be re-listed for sale and the member’s account will be charged the higher of a relist fee of 10% of the hammer price or £250."

And https://www.copart.co.uk/termsAndConditions/

Yes I contacted them but no reply.

Seeing others going though this, they usually threaten debt collection but haven't seen any evidence on what they actually do.

Was seeking opinions from maybe experiences from other auction sites or experts. many thanks

Well as i said, ignore debt collectors totally.

i would write a letter of complaint, specifically stating their site crashed.

you never know others may well have reported it too.

you didnt want that vehicle, cancel the bid please due their error.

id also block their use of your card if you need too so they cant snatch the unfair fees

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you. Yes I have blocked my card already.

Have you spotted anything in their terms that can get me in trouble? Or seen anything like this case in terms of non payment of auction fees?

Worst case I don't want to happen is they take me to court as its a high relist fee (2.5-3k), then ill have to pay storage fees and other costs too.

i seriously doubt any auction company has ever done court.

dont forget blocking a debit card? doesn't work

you have to phone your bank and STOP the Continuous Payment authority, if you used a debit card on their site.

and they

To successfully take action against you the auction house would have to prove they suffered some form of loss.

In my humble opinion, for them to successfully do that would mean somehow proving that the auction that went awry was their only opportunity to sell that car, and/or that selling it at any other time would mean a substantial reduction in the sale price, your erroneous bids notwithstanding.

You have your previous completed transaction with them that demonstrates you are not a troublesome bidder, and that in all likelihood, something did go wrong with their website.

DX is definitely correct that you should ignore them. This site doesn't advise getting involved in 'letter tennis' as DX usually puts it, because it's really only an invitation from you to them to start writing you more letters and upping the aggression factor. If - and it's an extremely big if - you ever receive a letter headed 'Letter before claim' or similar, you should come back here. Aside from that remote possibility, you should get on with your life, and probably avoid that auction site in future.