10pm this evening BBC2, Money Program on Unlawful Bank Charges

Enron
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to say about the whole 'service' thing that the banks are hoping to use to get out of calling them penalty charges... if charging me £38 (I'm with Natwest) to TELL me that I am over my overdraft, or to return a cheque, then I think I would like to opt out of having this service. I'd rather they didn't tell me, and didn't return the cheques/direct debits and then I wouldn't have to pay the £38 for a service I'd rather do without :-D

Isn`t a service something that you have requested to the benefit of yourself, not to the detrament.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

I'd just like to say about the whole 'service' thing that the banks are hoping to use to get out of calling them penalty charges... if charging me £38 (I'm with NatWest) to TELL me that I am over my overdraft, or to return a cheque, then I think I would like to opt out of having this service. I'd rather they didn't tell me, and didn't return the cheques/direct debits and then I wouldn't have to pay the £38 for a service I'd rather do without :-D

Northern Rock keep telling me that refusing a DD is a "service" they provide and I keep telling them how idiotic they sound.

Refusing to pay something isn't a service, in fact, it's a specific refusal to provide a service. You wouldn't expect to be charged by the landlord because the beer you had ordered had run out - him telling you that is not a service he is providing.

Anyway, I've told them that if they continue to claim that then next time I'm in the branch and I'm offered a loan, mortgage, credit card, etc. I'm going to refuse and forward them a bill for £30 in respect of the "service" I've provided to them.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

"You wouldn't expect to be charged by the landlord because the beer you had ordered had run out - him telling you that is not a service he is providing."

I'll have to remember that next time my rosy-cheeked landlord runs out of Old Ratfancier's Cortex Licker. I may even charge him for the privilege. Shortly before being thrown out, I suspect.

Westy

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

Also how can the banks say it is a service when they do not charge us for services that they actually do (handling money, processing cheques) (unless you are a business) Can't really see how they can have it both ways, as they are penalizing people!!

REFUNDED

Hubbys - HSBC £4,165 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £651 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £147 Prel 7/8, LBA 21/8, MCOL 6/9 £241

Hubby Halifax - Prel 29/7 £215, LBA 21/8, Offer rec. £110 22/8, MCOL 6/9 £298

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

Vamps was the one in the cloak and she was surrounded by Caggers, most of the others shown were from two other websites.

You spotted me!!! Fame at last - well, 2 seconds worth.:D

It was a good programme.

I am most interested in the guy from the Financial Ombudsman who stated something about he has told the banks to pay in full upon request or stand in court and justify their charges.

Not quite the quote, but I've got it on video and am going to disect his statement when I've a moment to see if we should be using it when making our request.

It was good to see Caggers and PCers together. It was a good day. Stephen Hone came across well.

The message in all was in our favour, but please please please UNLAWFUL not illegal!!!!! :rolleyes:

[

Hi, Vampiress

I thought you looked rather fetching - and out in daylight, too! You been hangin' out with Blade?

The Ombudsman - previously known as the banks' poodle - was the surprise hit of the show, IMHO. What he has said to the banks is 'either justify the charges or pay them all back'. Currently the BOS has about 1000 complaints current. The banks had been referring complaining customers to BOS (probably expecting the normal stuff - accept the offer, have applied charges in accordance with their T&Cs, blah blah) so it must have come as a bit of a shock to hear that from him!!

He is in print on the subject already: it's in the newsletter for November. Link through here (Financial Ombudsman News)

Also, I loved Angela Knight squirming. Especially after she'd come back, all bright and bouncy, to say they weren't penalty charges, they were charges for service. one little question and she looked like she wanted to slide under the carpet!!

I wonder if I should call Cobbetts and ask them, after last night's prog, if they'd like to cough up now...

Westy

Westy

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

A good programme, i got a little frustarted that they didnt explain the concelament/mistake aspects hence brinigng in claims older than six years but i guess you cant have everything.

Re the estimated costs, seems to me that the projected 4.50 and 2.50 were maximum values as discussed earlier, I wouldnt be surprised to see banks ultimately reduce their charges to such levels.

something occurs to me though is that the charges should actually reflect their costs, so a bit like the £12 issue i wonder at what level it would not be worth challenging the banks over?

Clealry in the ideal world the banks would all drop their charges to what it costs them individually rather than saying we will all adopt a fiver or whatever.

Just a thought.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Vampiress, maybe you could get clarification in writing from the guy.

Link to the Financial Ombudsman newsletter:

issue 57 - October/November 2006

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

A good programme, i got a little frustarted that they didnt explain the concelament/mistake aspects hence brinigng in claims older than six years but i guess you cant have everything.

I wish they had done as well.

Re the estimated costs, seems to me that the projected 4.50 and 2.50 were maximum values as discussed earlier, I wouldnt be surprised to see banks ultimately reduce their charges to such levels.

I really would have liked to have heard a bit of detail about exactly how these figures were arrierd at. I'm not doubting them it's just that they still seem quite high. £4.50 for returning a cheque, I suppose I can believe but I'm sure it can't be the case in the vast majority of cases. Northern Rock have told me that they don't even get cheques from the bank they are presented to unless they are for more than £5K. So it must only be an automated request.

As far as DD's are concerned, I can't understand how it costs more than a tiny, tiny amount to retrun them - if anything at all. Surely it can't involve any more expense than an out of office auto reply on your email? I mean, thr bank computer just has to say "no" and that's the end of it. If it really does cost £2.50 (or £30 as the banks reckon) then surely it must be musch more expensive to actualy pay a DD as you then have to update the acount records and physically move money at some stage.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

Watchdog did a progam a year or two back, in which an ex-Nat West employee said that a direct debit refusal cost the bank a matter of pence.

She was not named as all employees have to sign a confidentiality agreement.

So interesting that Citi Financial Plc state that a late payment costs them £12.88. Something makes me think there's alot of pure profit in there, but that of course would have to be decided by a judge (just in case Brian there solicitor is looking in).

I'm not doubting them it's just that they still seem quite high.

I think they were being very generous to the banks.

My view is that the infrastructure provided to manage our accounts is there for ALL functions not just the management of contractual breaches.

If I am right then the cost of carrying out an action electronically whatever it is, will be infinitesimally small, of the order of parts of a pence bearing in mind the number of transactions carried out daily.

The cost of the provision of the infrastructure would have to be ameliorated across all transactions not just the breaches.

The only significant costs would be if they wrote to the customer as a result of the breach and the majority of the cost would be of the paper, envelope and stamp.

although the machinery to stuff envelopes is I'm sure expensive, bearing in mind the volume of letters they would send out annually the cost per item would again be very low, of the order or parts of a penny.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Good programme overall.

I think it gave an insight into what direction the million pound lawyers the bank's have hired are going in - "we provide a service and this is what the charges are for". I'm sure the Moderator's are up to it though.

By coincidence, my son received new terms & conditions leaflet from Natwest today, effective from 1/2/07 - wonder if they've changed all the wording to "service"

Also note that the bank's are looking to curry favour with the govt - opening up "free" cashpoints in poorer areas (all have sitting Labour MP)

And as for Brian over at Citi Financial - I don't think he realises yet what cack he has stepped in yet.

Quote from Walter Merrick (Chief Ombudsman) in Oct 06 Financial Ombudsman News

"Of course, the issue will become one for us – if the OFT’s work does not

result in a swift regulatory solution that deals with past charges as well as

with future ones, and if the banks stop settling cases.

It’s understandable that the regulators do not want to be accused of

becoming price-fixers. Nor do we. But for certain charges, the law on

contract variations and penalties demands a reasonable relation between

cost and price, and requires those who seek to justify the price to produce

evidence of their actual costs.

The FSA has rightly placed emphasis on the principle of ‘treating customers

fairly’. Treating them lawfully, and being prepared to stand accountable for

that, is surely an important part of that principle".

Can this be used in any way in Court Bundles?

Otherwise I'm sure it can certainly be qouted in correspondance with your Banks when they get difficult.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

PS: I really like the bit about......."But for certain charges, the law on

contract variations and penalties demands a reasonable relation between

cost and price, and requires those who seek to justify the price to produce evidence of their actual costs"

...........I especially like the bit about produce evidence of their actual costs !!

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

That document may make it into my court bundle when I go up against Citi.

All the banks have been less than forthcoming with their figures.

Thought I heard on the grapevine that Watchdog have something coming up.

JonCris - do you (or anyone) have a transcript of what the Ombudsman said? I have the newsletter but not what he said on The Money Prog.

Westy

Westy

Hi, Vamps

"(Hanging out with Blade indeed. Hmmmm.....)"

He's the DayWalker, your worshipfulness.

Westy

Westy

Weird.

Vampiress couldn't link to the Ombudsman thread from my previous post - and neither could I . but it is there.

However, for ease of use, I post the whole post up here.

wot it was, was

Yo, Guys!

I had a closer look at a recent (issue 57, October/November) edition of the Financial Ombudsman News, following a thread in the NatWest forum.

What do you think of this little beauty, taken verbatim from the column attributed to Walter Merricks, Chief Ombudsman:

"But for certain charges, the law on contract variations and penalties demands a reasonable relation between cost and price, and requires those who seek to justify the price to produce evidence of their actual costs.

"The FSA has rightly placed emphasis on the principle of 'treating customers fairly'. Treating them lawfully, and being prepared to stand accountable for that, is surely an important part of that principle."

And yes, he is talking about bank charges. Read all about it here.

issue 57 - October/November 2006

Westy

Westy