Financial Ombudsman

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1903 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a really useful site, I've started corresponding with the Halifax with a view to get about £2k's worth of charges back. Having sent an initial letter with this request, and received a standard letter back stating, amongst other things,

'You have agreed that you have incurred the costs due to numerous reasons where your account has not been conducted properly. The decision stands that we will not refund these as they have been applied in accordance with our advertised charging policy and therefore your account should be maintained in a way as not to incur them'.

Enclosed was a leafet and a paragraph in the letter advised me to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service for assistance in resolving my problem.

Has anyone gone down the Ombudsman route to get a refund, or is it advisable, assuming that, having sent a further letter with a schedule of charges to the Halifax, if they don't give me my money back, to go straight to the Small Claims Court.

This is a really useful site, I've started corresponding with the Halifax with a view to get about £2k's worth of charges back. Having sent an initial letter with this request, and received a standard letter back stating, amongst other things,

'You have agreed that you have incurred the costs due to numerous reasons where your account has not been conducted properly. The decision stands that we will not refund these as they have been applied in accordance with our advertised charging policy and therefore your account should be maintained in a way as not to incur them'.

Enclosed was a leafet and a paragraph in the letter advised me to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service for assistance in resolving my problem.

Has anyone gone down the Ombudsman route to get a refund, or is it advisable, assuming that, having sent a further letter with a schedule of charges to the Halifax, if they don't give me my money back, to go straight to the Small Claims Court.

The latter is the recommended route.

The former produces flannel

The latter is the recommended route.

The former produces flannel

• 8 months later...

Have you sent the Halifax a letter before action? Send them a letter stating you want a full refund plus interest within a certain time or you will file a court claim. If that does not produce the required result, then process a MoneyClaim. Have a look in the Bank Templates Library for the most suitable template.

The Ombudsman will not get involved with contract or legal disputes - the Ombudsman is purely a mediator if you cannot get a complaint resolved between yourselves.

Forget the Ombudsman....they 'SUCK' and as 'imported' righlty says..they wont be interested

You will be better off to sticking the templates/time schedules

Continue with your claim, after which of course you can send a letter to the OFT re revoking consumer credit licence

Regulatory Section

Consumer Credit Licensing

Room 1C/5

Office of Fair Trading

Fleetbank House

2-6 Salisbury Square

London

EC4Y 8JX

Fax 0207 211 8429

Failure to comply with direction 5 April 2006

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to inform you that I do not consider Halifax plc to be a “fit and proper person”, therefore this organisation should not hold a consumer credit licence.

Since June 2006 I have requested Halifax plc repay excessive and unlawful bank charges, which they had taken from my account. They refused to do so, stating that the charges were a true reflection of there costs incurred regarding my administering of my account. The charges were for the sending of a computer generated letter notifying me of an overdraft or a refused direct debit. The charges levied were £39.00 on each occasion. By way of the service of a subject access request I discovered that no manual intervention took place on my account.

It is apparent that Halifax plc are purporting that the charges levied on its customer accounts are lawful and a true reflection of the costs incurred. This is not the case, Halifax plc are merely profiteering at its customers expense. The charges levied are far in excess of any cost incurred by them; a fact that they are well aware of. Despite much press coverage and numerous claims against them, Halifax plc continue to levy such charges.

I would contend that the actions of Halifax plc are tantamount to a criminal deception.

I ask that you investigate this matter and consider revoking the consumer credit licence of this dishonest organisation.

All the best

• Haha 1

There is no such thing as impossible; only the degree of difficulty required to achieve the desired outcome.

Read through the

FAQ Section.... Use these links :grin:

Like what I say show - add to my reputation (click the scales!)

My advice & opinions are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

Halicrap - Full settlement 12/06 £408.34

Crapitol 1 - Settled in Full 27/04/07 £15808-)

All & Pester - Claim served £5695 4/09, Stayed

Woolsnitch mortgage accounts - Claim served £2995 4/09, application to strike out 06/09

Lloybles - No CCA, CPR disclosure notices served.

Continue with your claim, after which of course you can send a letter to the OFT re revoking consumer credit licence

Regulatory Section

Consumer Credit Licensing

Room 1C/5

Office of Fair Trading

Fleetbank House

2-6 Salisbury Square

London

EC4Y 8JX

Fax 0207 211 8429

Failure to comply with direction 5 April 2006

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to inform you that I do not consider Halifax plc to be a “fit and proper person”, therefore this organisation should not hold a consumer credit licence.

Since June 2006 I have requested Halifax plc repay excessive and unlawful bank charges, which they had taken from my account. They refused to do so, stating that the charges were a true reflection of there costs incurred regarding my administering of my account. The charges were for the sending of a computer generated letter notifying me of an overdraft or a refused direct debit. The charges levied were £39.00 on each occasion. By way of the service of a subject access request I discovered that no manual intervention took place on my account.

It is apparent that Halifax plc are purporting that the charges levied on its customer accounts are lawful and a true reflection of the costs incurred. This is not the case, Halifax plc are merely profiteering at its customers expense. The charges levied are far in excess of any cost incurred by them; a fact that they are well aware of. Despite much press coverage and numerous claims against them, Halifax plc continue to levy such charges.

I would contend that the actions of Halifax plc are tantamount to a criminal deception.

I ask that you investigate this matter and consider revoking the consumer credit licence of this dishonest organisation.

All the best

Excellent Letter, might use this against Abbey, Halifax & Capital One

VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN - IF THEY HELP - PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Halifax - S.A.R - June 06

- Pre-Lim(£1665) July 06

- LBA - July 06

- MCOL - 15th Aug 06

- Acknowledged 18th Aug

- Settled IN FULL :eek:

- 2nd Claim Started - 12 Dec 2006

- SETTLED IN FULL:eek:

- 3rd Claim Started (Phone Call) 1st March 2007

Abbey National - S.A.R - 23/08/06

- Default Removal Letter sent 21st Sept

- LBA sent with Estimated Charges 4/10/06

- 2nd LBA 23/10/06

- N1 filed 9/11/06 - Deemed Served 16/11/06

- AQ & Draft Directions filed 19/12/06

- Court Hearing 22/3/07

- SETTLED IN FULL:o INCLUDING £5k COMPENSATION

Capital One - S.A.R. 10/10/06

Alliance & Leicester - Mortgage E/S/C Claim 02/03/07

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/05/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1903 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks