Ebay seller not honouring warranty

Hassledbuyer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 867 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Purchased a brand new item from a business seller in September, which supposedly has a 12 month warranty. 

After 2 months it stopped working (after ebay's MBG 60 day limit) so I contacted the seller, only to be ignored.  I contacted them again quoting the Sale of Goods Act but again have been ignored

How do I get them to replace this faulty item, or issue a refund? I looked at an INAD claim on PP, however I don't think that would be legitimate.

It isn't expensive (under £50) so not really worth the time to chase, but it is a matter of principle. Why should these sellers be allowed to renege on their legal obligations?

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

They shouldn't be allowed to renege on their obligations but am afraid that it needs somebody to enforce the obligations because these things don't happen automatically.

If you want to try and proceed in the matter then we are happy to help you. You haven't told us anything about the item – what is it and what the problem is.

Also you have referred to the warranty. Warranties are generally speaking useless and you are much better relying on your statutory rights under the consumer rights act.

If you want to take this further then we are happy to help you but if all you want to do is write a couple of letters to the seller then frankly it's just a waste of everybody's time. If you are prepared to go the whole way and make a claim then that would be worth doing but as you've already indicated, it will take some time

The reason I am here is to get advice because I am prepared to push it.  Not sure what difference knowing what the item is makes, as I would expect the advice to be the same no matter what, however it is an electric shredder that doesn't power on any more.

Edited by Hassledbuyer

So you bought a brand-new shredder – I'm assuming that you are talking about document shredder? For less than 50 quid.

What is the make and model?

We asked these kinds of questions because we want to get a whole picture of the situation. The kind of information that you'd be happy to give to a professional adviser if you are paying them £300 an hour.

What would be its replacement value?
Do you have the seller's postal address?

Again I cannot see what difference it makes but it is a Texet and would cost £40 to replace it.  Yes I have the seller's postal address.

I wouldn't be paying a professional £300, it is either ask online in a group like this or speak to Citizen's Advice. 

I am happy to open a MCO claim against the seller, just wondering if that is the best option.

If you want to take advice from Citizens Advice then – Good Luck! They are well-intentioned, I'll say that for them.

I don't see any other option if the seller won't cooperate.

If this is what you would like to do then read up on this forum about the steps involved taking a small claim in the County Court. It is straightforward but it is worth knowing the steps in advance as you will have more confidence.

Draft a letter of claim and post it here so we can check it.

simplest way to sort this is to do a chargeback on the payment to PP against your bank.

assuming of course this is the method you fund PP by.?

nothing to do with any warranty, not worth the paper one is written on anyway.

who's the seller? an ebay shop par chance?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...