Universal Credit and university

HP Mum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 964 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been researching but can't find an answer.

If you are on UC and start university on 2 full grants for tuition and maintenance (to cover rent & lifestyle) when do the payments stop?  Is it the very day uni starts?  Or do they continue to pay something?  And do they pay during breaks - ie Xmas, Easter, summer - if not working?

Universal Credit and studying full time are not compatible as you need to be available to work. Read the link below to see if you fall into any of the exceptions as some people can still claim UC.

WWW.GOV.UK

Guidance on claiming Universal Credit if you're a student.

If say you were in an exception category so could claim UC, they would deduct the maintenance amount from your UC award every month. So there might be a little bit of UC still payable. Typically they deduct for maintenance over 10 months and not for the 2 month summer break.

To report being a student, phone the UC helpline and then you will have to attend nearest Job Centre with the information required. I.e University Course information including start date and end date of academic year, plus they will need the student finance information which provides all details of how much you will be paid.  If you don't qualify for UC, your claim will be closed. If you still can claim UC, the service centre will calculate reduced UC payments each month.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks UncleB.   Not in an exception category...

Just not sure when the payments will stop?   If receive UC, say 20 Sept, and Uni starts 27 Sept does the UC payment cover all the weeks up to 20 Sept and then will get one more week of UC, say 20 Oct?  I know payments are made in arrears - so it would seem that there may be 1 more week owing ...

As soon as you tell them, the claim will be closed with no further payment due.  If you started Uni during a monthly assessment period and they paid you at the end of that monthly period you would owe the whole month as a debt to DWP.  Every UC payment received after starting Uni would be a debt you owed.

Remember UC is a monthly assessment period benefit and not pro rata.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I believe student finance is linked with UC?  Any excess paid by UC would be deducted from SFE payments?

I think all is up to date from UC, bar one week owed.   Best then to communicate asap anyway with UC

Thanks UncleB

UC is not linked to student finance repayments.

Any benefit overpayment debt would be deducted from future benefit payments or deducted from earnings,