Canary (cameras - canary.is) took money for auto renewal, won't refund

phleck
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1030 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, 

I bought some Canary cameras.

They're faulty now (1 is dead, 2 keep restarting). £79 / year subscription.

I used an email account just for that - on a site which since moved web host (without recreating the email accounts or mailboxes).

Few days ago they took £127.

I disputed it and they have refused to refund it stating that they "don't refund auto-renewed subscriptions". 

They claim they sent an email out notifying me of renewal - but they would have had a bounce since the email address didn't exist at all. (Guy on the phone told me clearly that management would even be able to see if it was received and opened or not - BS I know).

I didn't get notified.

They have my phone number, address and could have notified me another way. 

They increased the price. 

The equipment is faulty. 

They are still refusing a refund:

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Tracy (Canary)

Jul 19, 2021, 4:54 PM EDT

Hi xxx,

My Name is Tracy, and I am part of the Management team.

Having reviewed everything in this thread, I can confirm that the information you've been provided is accurate.

As mentioned by my colleagues, we sent the email advising of renewal on July 8th. Irrespective of you disabling a mailbox, it is the email address that is on your account for correspondence and for your subscription, it is also same email address you used to sign up with, therefore it is the email address you provided to be contacted on.

Per our terms and conditions, we cannot provide a refund on renewed subscriptions.

I can cancel your Premium Service as requested and this will take effect at the next renewal date which is July 15th 2022

I am more than happy to troubleshoot the device you are having issue with and get that resolved for you.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Best,

Tracy B.
Canary Customer Experience
help.canary.is

I've explained multiple times that the mailbox wasn't "disabled", and that it didn't exist. Pretty clearly too:

Lee N

Jul 19, 2021, 4:18 PM EDT

> As your mailbox was disabled at the time the email may have been sent to your spam/junk folder.
NO

THE MAILBOX DID NOT EXIST.
THE EMAIL ADDRESS DID NOT EXIST.
THERE WAS NO JUNK/SPAM FOLDER BECAUSE THE EMAIL ADDRESS DID NOT EXIST.

You are lying, just like I said you would to Ryan on the phone when he said he would "escalate" it.

ADDITION 1, I DID NOT AGREE TO A PRICE INCREASE

ADDITION 2, THE CAMERAS DON'T EVEN WORK CORRECTLY.
One is totally faulty and won't turn on. The other 2 keep restarting. Why should I pay for a service for faulty equipment?!

I'm starting a merchant dispute now.

---------------

As stated above, I have started a merchant dispute. 

I have filed a complaint with BBB, too. Next step will have to be small claims.

Anyone got any other advice?

How did you pay ?

Contact your Bank to raise a dispute about the payment ? Will your Bank refund, if you say not authorised by you and no notice of payment received.

I think issuing any Court claim in UK would be difficult, if this company does not have a UK registered address, where they can receive the claim. Appears to be a company that is mostly online, with perhaps just an outsourced warehouse in UK that distributes their products.

CANARY.IS

Read about our sales terms here.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

do a chargeback to your bank

i will assume you gave them a debit card number last year?

so whilst on the phone get the bank to also cancel the CPA (continuous payment authority ) too.

most bank are pretty good on these scam autorenewals now just because you didn't read any small print.

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

14 hours ago, phleck said:

I have filed a complaint with BBB, too. Next step will have to be small claims.

Anyone got any other advice?

BBB (if Better Business Bureau) is a North American concept.

OP, which region (U.K.? North America??) are you located in?

I have started a chargeback / dispute. They have immediately refunded the amount, pending investigation. 

I used BBB because I already found complaints on there about Canary - similar situations. 

I'm in the UK. 

Interesting about the CPA (continuous payment authority) too, I'll look into that. 

Thanks for the advice all. My gosh do I hate companies like this.