Landlord insurance claim refused but conflicting policy booklet wording

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1075 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a Landlord policy with CIA.  I made sure it covered malicious damage before I took it out.

CIA sent through booklets via email which I read and a link to another page for another book - policy terms

There are several policy terms books on that web page.

I checked and read the wrong one as once you get on the webpage there is nothing telling you which book is yours.

I read the first when it should have been the last.

The documents cover tenants malicious damage as stated BUT the policy booklet says criminal damage is not covered.
If I had known this I would have cancelled the policy.
Now the issue is when is malicious damage not criminal damage.

Malicious damage is done without your permission and by damaging someone else's property its a crime.

The insurance company wont give any clarification on the above and refused the claim.

The "missing" tenant turned the house into a cannabis farm and police didnt prosecute.
Apart from going to the Ombudsman has anyone any other ideas.

Damage isnt finished yet but will be a high value claim which is why I think they really turned it down.

Took 4 months to make that decision which was disgusting and stressful as well.
Is it a lost cause and not worth the stress of fighting or should I continue fighting, its wearing me out and dont have money to do all repairs.

This is from CIA website

"What is malicious damage?

Many things can fall under the umbrella of malicious damage. It is essentially defined as any damage that is caused deliberately. This could be smashed windows, broken furniture, damage to door hinges, holes in walls, deliberate fires, or graffiti and defacing the property. This may not always be damage caused by your tenant. This could be damage caused by a visitor or an unlawful intruder."

WWW.CIA-LANDLORDS.CO.UK

Malicious damage can be really serious. So, what actually is it, how can a landlord safeguard themselves against it happening to their property?

Criminal Damage could be related to the tenant or others in the property taking part in a criminal activity and damage is caused as a consequence.  But the damage is not a malicious act, as they did not directly say smash a window.   

Ask CIA  Insurance underwriters for a written explanation on the policy terms and the reasons for them declining the claim. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

CIA website article on let properties being used for criminal purposes.

WWW.CIA-LANDLORDS.CO.UK

As a landlord handing over the keys to your property, you instill a lot of trust and faith in your […] Read More

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread