Ignored by local gym and DFC after trying to cancel gym contract due to redundancy.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello!

Im just after a bit of advice on what to do next with this,

I was made redundant from my job in February and have been trying to cancel my gym membership ever since. 

Its an Independent gym, I emailed them asking to cancel and they told me it was nothing to do with them and I needed to contact DFC

Contacted DFC who told me to provide proof - which I have with p45 and job seekers letters.

They told me they won't cancel only freeze membership, which I don't want to do.

DFC are now ignoring my emails and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Do I just say no more and cancel my DD?

I've been reading other threads saying they can't really do anything but Im still a little apprehensive.

It was a stupid 36 month contract I signed up for and I've actually paid 31 months worth as I chose to 'support' the gym during covid. 

Silly in hindsight I know.

Thanks in advance for your help.

H

correct zero anyone can do, stop using the phone too, they will LIE.

now this 'supporting your gym'...do you mean you purposefully chose to pay in all the months whereby covid closed them down?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes there was an email sent out by the gym at the start of the first lockdown saying that if we chose to continue paying then we would be helping them to stay afloat. 

A bit of a slap in the face now that nobody wants to help me! But we live and learn.

opps

you emailed them asking to cancel

you should have simply let one more payment go out then cancel the DD.

they've had their money and £100's more than they ever should have gotten.

cancel the DD ignore everyone.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

gyms don't do court since the ashbourne debacle in 2012

and they

Hi Hattie and welcome to CAG

A 36 month agreement is not enforceable and hasn't been for the last 10 years !! See here - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/277436-ashbourne-management-services-ltd-contracts-longer-than-12-months/

Cancel the DD mandate immediately - do it online or tell the bank by phone or in person that you need it cancelled now.

The gym and/or DFC should have handled the cancellation request - redundancy is one of the accepted reason to cancel and DFC had no right to insist on a m/ship freeze.

Cancel the DD and let us know if/when DFC come begging for money but do not reply to them unless we say.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you so much for all of your help!

I've cancelled the DD and I'm sure ill hear from them as soon as this 'freeze' is over. 

Just out of curiosity, is there normally a rough timescale for how long they hound you for money before they leave you alone?

You'll hear from them as soon as they learn the DD is cancelled !!

Re timescale for how long they hound you, impossible to say. However, once you learn to properly ignore threats, demands, etc, it really doesn't matter.

Keep us posted.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)