Ableworld - charged VAT on replacement fitted batteries for a mobility scooter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1093 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope this is the correct section.

My dad had to have his batteries replaced on his mobility scooter so he took it to the place he bought it from.

Batteries changed and they fitted them but I discovered he had been charge VAT when it should be exempt. (approx £20).

Emailed the head office and got this reply.

Our batteries all do include VAT as they can be used on items other than mobility products.

Vat is automatically deducted if a product is VAT deductible and the customer has an account with a valid VAT form filled in. IF a customer does not have an account and is buying a VAT deductible item the store will offer to set them up on an account"

He does have account as aforementioned he bought it from there and signed a VAT relief form on purchase so should be on record.

Even if he did not have the above he was not offered to fill in another form.

It was fitted by them to a mobility product.

They have since stopped responding to my emails.

• 1 month later...
On 15/04/2021 at 13:11, hyperseven said:

Hope this is the correct section.

My dad had to have his batteries replaced on his mobility scooter so he took it to the place he bought it from.

Batteries changed and they fitted them but I discovered he had been charge VAT when it should be exempt. (approx £20).

Emailed the head office and got this reply.

He does have account as aforementioned he bought it from there and signed a VAT relief form on purchase so should be on record.

Even if he did not have the above he was not offered to fill in another form.

It was fitted by them to a mobility product.

They have since stopped responding to my emails.

Sorry to hear you have had this problem, I myself has never had a problem buying batteries for my scooter even online, as they have stopped responding to your emails i think you can claim the VAT back from HRMC, check this link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-reliefs-for-disabled-people-eligibility-declaration-by-a-disabled-person

hope hat helps and you get sorted