Sold something on Facebook using PayPal buyer already being a problem.

DilysFiller
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

I have a couple of books that have suddenly shot up in value so I have listed them on Facebook.

One I listed as Offers because I wasn't sure what to price it as and included a picture and listed as "Good condition" 

The other I listed a price, listed as acceptable and put an extra picture of a small tear to the book. 

This morning around 9am a buyer messaged me, he didn't ask for more pictures or questions just offered me a price. I was happy, accepted the price. He paid straight away and I packaged up and sent Special Delivery as I just had an odd niggle in my mind about it. Not being a big seller on FB 

Tonight at 5pm he suddenly out of the blue said he hoped the book was in a very good condition otherwise he would be requesting a refund. 

Hmmm... I replied saying I had listed it as good condition not very good condition and that he had offered a price, if he had wanted any further info prior to purchase I would have happily supplied pictures or answered further questions. 

He's come back again and again saying I seem not to understand how PayPal works and if he is unhappy with condition he will get his refund. He hasnt even received it yet and he's scamming me I suspect! 

So what do I do?

I looked an Abe books for their condition grades and a good condition book is described as average used worn book with no pages missing. Which fits my book exactly. In fact even their very good condition probably applies as that says no tears to spine and shows minor wear. 

Where do I stand?

He also says he's seen it on Ebay for half the price now.

So what? Isn't that just down to his own failings not mine

The first thing you'll want to do is make sure you have screenshots of the advert you posted, any photographs that went with it and all pre-purchase conversation that went on between you and the buyer. Keep that safe.

The next thing to establish is how he paid you. Did you send him an invoice that he paid, did he send you a payment for 'Goods and services' or did he send you a 'gift payment'? Your account history should tell you what sort of payment it was and you would know if you'd sent him an invoice.

If he paid you as a gift he's had it. PayPal will not refund him because he's broken their terms and conditions in sending a gift payment (which avoids fees) when in reality he was buying an item.

If he paid you for goods and services or paid an invoice you sent he will have the option of opening a dispute with you, which can eventually be escalated to a claim that PayPal will decide the outcome of. That process allows you to submit evidence and your own narrative of what happened, so you have a good chance of winning that claim and him having it decided against him.

Personally, I would block him on Facebook and then simply keep an eye on your emails. If he pursues a PayPal claim you will receive an email notification to tell you. 

Thank you, that is really helpful advice. He paid Goods and Services. I have all the messages we exchanged. Hopefully it will be fine, I just thought it dodgy that he's already saying he will send back if he's unhappy before he's even got the book. Why not have those conversations first. 

I have another book to sell too and already have quite a lot of interest. 

So am I best sending extra pictures of the condition to each interested person and making it clear it is sold as shown in the pictures and I won't accept refunds?