Kwik fit broke subframe now charging to replace it

Fiocena
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1167 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I took my vw beetle to kwik fit for an mot and it failed on the cv joints.

I agreed for them to fix it but then they phoned to say that they broke the subframe whilst doing it.  They are now charging me approximately an extra £800.

I am now wondering whether they are liable for the repair.

They did warn me before taking on the work as they said it had happened to them before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know nothing about cars, garages or how to fix them.

Thank you for reading.

I'm afraid that I don't think there is much you can do.

There is honestly an inherent danger – and most importantly they called you in advance and want you that exactly this problem might occur – and presumably you agreed to accept the risk.

The only thing you  could do would be to try and get quotes elsewhere and to see whether the money they are trying to charge you is excessive.

If you find some big discrepancies in the quoted price, then come back here and then we may be able to give you some advice about how to handle KwikFit - although bear in mind that if you then had to have the car taken somewhere else for repair it would probably cost you some transportation money as presumably the car cannot be driven now

Can I just suggest one thing

Ask them how the subframe broke and say you would like them to explain how changing a cv joint affects the sub frame

I'm not an expert but I've changed cv joints in the past and never needed to touch the subframe on a car

The axle itself might pass through the subframe but removing the cv joint usually just entails cracking the old one off with a split bar

I can't help but wonder if they've braced it against the subframe and that's why it's broken 

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

20 hours ago, labrat said:

Can I just suggest one thing

Ask them how the subframe broke and say you would like them to explain how changing a cv joint affects the sub frame

I'm not an expert but I've changed cv joints in the past and never needed to touch the subframe on a car

The axle itself might pass through the subframe but removing the cv joint usually just entails cracking the old one off with a split bar

I can't help but wonder if they've braced it against the subframe and that's why it's broken 

@labrat I'll bet it isn't the subframe itself that's broken. It'll be the subframe mounting bolt(s) that have sheared off inside it. Because the bolt is seized inside the subframe, it effectively renders the subframe scrap. I suspect the garage are simply talking in terms the average customer is more likely to understand than going into the detail of it. The Golf, Jetta and Beetle, which are all mechanically identical, are notorious for it. 

A smaller independent garage may have tried to get the bolts out, but you very quickly reach the point where time/effort/cost is simply not worth it and replacement of the whole subframe is the better choice.

Of course the OP could approach a salvage yard, either local or online, and ask about the cost of a good used item, which would be substantially less expensive than what I assume is the price VW are charging for a replacement.

Edited by theberengersniper