Sold Vehicle To Motor Trader, LogBook Still In My Name - DVLA Says This Is Normal?

whyohwhyme
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey,

Sold a vehicle last month to a motor trader.

Did this online using the logbook.

Was confirmed that it was sold, done and dusted.

I just checked, and the logbook is still in my name.

Phoned the DVLA who said when you sell a vehicle to a trader online, it no longer changes name/address and it stays in your name until the trader sells the vehicle on.

Even the DVLA website is showing my original purchase date of the vehicle from two years ago as the last logbook issued.

Is this normal?

Just wanted to make sure this is correct, thats all.

Thanks!

Yes it is normal. It is shown as being "In Trade" (with no other details).

What you need to beware of is that if any offences are committed using the vehicle and it was not stopped at the time (e.g. a speeding offence detected by camera) police enquiries will begin with you because yours are the details that the DVLA hold when the police interrogate the database.

I hope that you have got all the relevant paperwork from the trader showing in fact that you did dispose of the vehicle.

You should note that although you remain the "Registered Keeper" you are no longer the "person keeping the vehicle."

This is a critical difference. When the police want to know who was driving a vehicle at a particular time they send a request (known as a "Section 172" notice after the section of the Road Traffic Act which provides for it) to the Registered Keeper. Section 172 places different responsibilities on two different classes of people. The first is "the person keeping the vehicle". That person has a duty to identify the driver and provide his details. The second class is "any other person." They have the duty to  "...give any information which it is in his power to give and may lead to identification of the driver."

You will notice that the "Registered Keeper" is not mentioned at all. What matters is whether you are "the person keeping the vehicle" or "any other person". You clearly now are not keeping the vehicle and so you are "any other person". If any enquiries are made of you all you have to do is provide the details of the trader to whom you sold the car. That is all that is in your power to give. It will help if you have a copy of the bill of sale or some other proof of the transfer of ownership.

Edited by Man in the middle

• 2 weeks later...