Anytime Fitness won't cancel despite financial problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice for my nephew.

My nephew joined Anytime in September this year.

At the time he asked, on several occasions, whether he could just cancel if he needed to, and was told he could if he moved, lost he job etc.

They also told him that his DD was due on 1st of each month, which worried him as he works for an agency or has to claim benefits and couldn't guarantee he'd have the funds. He was told that he had 12 days grace to pay, so no need to worry. (This is another matter).

he had been working for an agency in the run up to Christmas, but as of 21st December he has no work, and currently no prospect of any in the New Year (mainly due to Covid). 

He has just tried to cancel his contract due to lack of income, but they are insisting he cannot.

He can't provide proof of redundancy as he was never a permanent staff member.

They have said, that as a temp worker, he would have been asked how he would pay when he signed up.

He is adamant this was NEVER discussed.

He has explained the situation to them, and that he would only be on benefits (£200 per month to ps for everything) but they have said he will just have to pay from his benefit money. He's filled in their online cancellation form but they won't accept it.

He's spoken to them on the phone but again, they won't accept his cancellation.

They've said he can write to the area manager who will review his case

- strangely this is the person he spoke to on the phone and also rejected the online cancellation. 

What can he do?

He has no income, and anything he might get (5 week UC delay minimum) won't cover his rent or food etc.

Can they really force him to pay for the rest of the year?

He's worried sick about DCAs as they've already done this to him once before for "late charges".

Thank you

well he shouldn't be scared of DCA's as they have absolutely ZERO legal powers and ANY debt, and are NOT BAILIFFS

and most certainly CANNOT add anything to ANY debt...ever.

so he's told them he wishes to cancel

tough luck on them then.

stuff and all any gym can do about it.

gym debts don't appear on credit files

Gyms don't do court

DCA's are powerless..

end of the matter.

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Numpty and welcome to CAG

First off, tell YN not to worry about this and NOT to bother trying to talk to the gym or thier admin company about this.

Secondly, tell him to cancel the DD madate immediately via the bank, online or by phone.

He should then type a letter a letter as follows and send it to the gym, getting a free Certificate of Posting at the PO when he posts it.

Anytime Fitness Gym

Address

Postcode

Dear sir or madam,

When I joined the gym back in September, I was assured by staff I could cancel if I was made redundant or moved home.

When I recently lost my job and tried to cancel the membership, I was told this was not possible and your staff were rude and unhelpful.

I was willing to pay a final fee for the month's notice normally required but, after the way I have been treated, the DD mandate has been cancelled already.

I will pay you nothing more and will ignore demands from you or anyone else.

Yours faithfully,

Numpty's Nephew

He'll get a few demands and threats but should not reply at all, especially by phone as this will be a waste of his time.

Keep us posted .........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Please tell him to cancel the DD now, or it'll get used by the gym in the next few days, for the payt due on 1st Jan.

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)