Storage giant. Missed payment, late charges help!!

KS140901
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

Please could anyone advise me?

I have items in storage with storage giant from a house move following my divorce.

Due to loosing my job because of coronavirus, i could not pay my monthly payment.

I contacted them explaining & advised them i could pay at the end of the month when i get my benefit payment i recently applied for.

They advised they couldn't assist me & that now a fee of £12 per week will be added.

Also they have stopped me having access to my items until my balance is up to date. 

Im worried i am going to loose my items as they say the items will go to auction if the balance is not cleared.

With the late fees being added its impossible for me to clear the balance in my current situation.

Is there anything i can do???

Thank you 

any penalty fees are unlawful.

and £12PW!!

how did you contact them and have you a copy of their T&C's ...please name them.

as for auctioning off your goods, i'm sure there must be rules to prevent this.

they are supposed to help you not make things worse.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Under certain circumstances they may be entitled to dispose of your goods – and particularly if you are under an obligation to take the goods – for example because you're not paying the storage fees, then after having surgery notice, they may be permitted to put them up for sale and then account you for the sale – which means that they deduct their fees and pass the rest of the money on to you.

You say that you will be up to pay at the end of the month. Are you talking about the end of October? Which is in about two weeks time.

We need to see the terms and conditions of storage – but certainly there would not be entitled to levy £12 per week on top of the storage fee by way of a penalty. However, you need to think practically about this and obviously you want to get your goods back and to stop this mounting up so the best thing to do would be to pay them what they are asking, retrieve your goods and then pursue them for the money which they have unlawfully taken from you

A lot depends on whether you have the money to pay. How much you owe them so far? By how much have you fallen behind? Will you definitely be able to redeem the goods at the end of the month.

By the way, the law on this is governed by the Torts (Wrongful Interference with Goods) Act 1977

Hi thanks for your reply, this is what is on their email telling me i have defaulted. 

DEPOSIT:

Fully refundable upon vacating terrms & Conditions Apply. 

Witen notce to vacte - refer to your lease agreemnt for further deatls. Special Ofers are subject to availablilty, length of stay, size of room, one ofer per household & or company.

Vehicle hire costs will solely be credited to the clients account upon move in and not fnancially reimbursed. Only vehicle hire cost applies to this special ofers.

Insurance, deposits & any other extras required by the client or penaltes issued by the hire company, speeding & parking fnes & other ofences Storage Giant will not held liable & or reimburse.

All costs quoted are based on an estmated basis from the informaton provide by the client. Storage Giant will not be held liable if additonal costs are incurred. PAYMENT TERMS - If payment is not received your access code will be suspended & room over-locked. Seven days afer the due date, a late fee of £12.00 will be added to your account, you will incur further late fees of £12.00 for every seven days thereafer of non payment.

If payment is not received by next rental due date, Storage Giant can commence exercising a lien & seizure of the goods, sell the contents to recover the outstanding balance. 

Thanks for this. How come it's also poorly spaced and spelled? Is very difficult to understand.

I wonder if you could maybe cut and paste it again and check all the spacing and make sure that it's completely legible. Try to restructure it but frankly I don't really know what they are banging on about.

Also, presumably there are some terms and conditions of a contract which you entered into when you started the storage. Where is that?

Are they holding a deposit of yours?

Also, by how much are you in debt to them? Representing how long a period?

What is the value of the items in storage – and do you have an inventory of them