Flight Upgrades

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just sent the following email to United Airlines. I would be interested in hearing any views. As far as I'm concerned the booking process sets out to deceive customers. I am sure that the rules about upgrades deal with this but to offer an "upgrade eligible" fare and then try to make you pay almost 100% more for the actual upgrae is unreasonable

Yesterday I placed a booking with your airline using your online reservation system. The booking reference is UA-LM5WL6

To do this I selected my origin, destination and dates. I left the default ticket class but selected "Systemwide Region 2" for an upgrade option. The eystem then produced a list of flights most of which were marked as upgrade eligible. I selected a flight costing £341.50.

I have just telephoned your enquiry desk to be informaed that it would cost be a further £300 to be upgraded. I am extremely annoyed about this. At no point in the booking procedd did it indicate that I would need to do this. As far as I am concerned I purchased an upgrade eligible ticket for £341.50. At best your booking process needs clarification and at worst it is deceitful.

As I am unable to cancel this ticket, this is probably the last time that I will fly with your airline.

• Confused 1

I have been all over their website and cannot find anythign about upgrades what so ever.

It is listed in the american site, and says about purchasing the extra miles needed for a personal upgrade but it is all in dollars.

At the very least they should be offering to refund your flights if you are not happy to pay the extra and the terms were not listed anywhere.

As I am not a member I may not be able to view all their pages. Can you just double check them please?

LOULA

It gets better. When I placed the booking they took a hold on my card but they didn't actually charge it because the ticketing failed for some reason. The actual charge came through three days later but they haven't released the hold. I have effectively been charged twice. When I eventually got to speak to someone whose job wasn't to try to fob me off, they said that I needed to resolve this issue with my bank. Very helpful. :mad:

I don't understand. You have to get an "upgrade eligible" seat, then pay an upgrade fee to go first or business class? If that's the only way to find a First/business seat price, then it's a bit naff. If you're just angling for a free upgrade, then it doesn't seem all that unreasonable, although I agree the upgrade costs ought to be made clear before you're committed to buying a ticket.

DPA Letter received by NatWest 11/04/2006

DPA Request expires 21/05/2006

Statements received 15/05/2006

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you find me vaguely coherent, click the scales.

I don't understand. You have to get an "upgrade eligible" seat, then pay an upgrade fee to go first or business class? If that's the only way to find a First/business seat price, then it's a bit naff. If you're just angling for a free upgrade, then it doesn't seem all that unreasonable, although I agree the upgrade costs ought to be made clear before you're committed to buying a ticket.

No the idea was to use miles. I have *lots* of miles.

• 1 month later...

Well Seminole, are the miles you are using through the Airlines own loyalty programme? Or through a 3rd party ie Airmiles? If through the airlines then phone the Loyalty Club and complain. If 3rd party not much to do except tell them you arent happy so that they can at least log your displeasure (enough people do this and they may decide to disassociate themselves from that airline in future).

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks