Natwest closing Credit card accounts if not used for a period

unclebulgaria67
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1406 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have held a Credit Card with Natwest for over 30 years and in the last 6 months or so, I have not used it.  

The card is due to expire in a couple of months and I  have had a letter asking whether I still needed a Credit Card.  And that if I did not contact them within a month, they would close the account.  In order to keep the account, apparently I have to phone them to ask them to issue another card on the expiry of the current one .

I have always maintained a Credit Card, just in case of emergencies and if you hire a car for example, they often want details of a Credit Card.

Is this a new policy by Banks ?  First time Natwest have done this.   I have had zero balances near to card expiry dates before and they have not done this.

And this is a warning note to others, that you should never ignore letters from your Bank, thinking it is just advertising information on their services.  Otherwise you may find that the Credit Card  account you thought that you  had, has been cancelled. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I've also just had an email about my NatWest credit card to say they were halving my credit limit but if I called them I might be able to keep the existing one. The reduced limit is still more than double the maximum monthly balance I have  had in the last 3 years. They say it's to bring it in line with my needs. I suspect it's something to do with an overall review of credit given but I don't know what exactly.

If a card isn't being used it's quite common for banks to reduce credit limits/accounts to therefore mitigate less risk. With COVID-19 a lot of companies are doing this that I've read either reducing unused limits or closing cards that aren't used. Makes sense really. 

If it hasn't been used in 6 months, then it's fair for them to begin to assume its unneeded, and they could close the account and offer credit to someone else, or reduce the risk of you potentially maxing out the card suddenly with the current climate. 

Just give them a call, explain you still require it. 

Yes I have phoned them and they are sending a new card.

The person I spoke to suggested that I use the card to make a small purchase every few months and to pay it off.  This will keep the account active.  

This is a change for Natwest and I think some people are going to find themselves without a credit card, because did not open the letter from Natwest saying the account would closed due to inactivity.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread