NHS Prescription mismatch

stripy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was electronically prescribed a course of steroids (see attached image). 

Calculations showed that over 20 days I should take 136 tablets (prednizolone). 

Chemist apparantly gave me 84 tablets (which I discovered back home). 

I went back to chemist and they said that on prescription it's written 84 tablets and they can't give more than that. 

But, at the same time, on the boxes and prescription it say to take 40mg for 2 weeks, then 30mg for two days, then 20mg for two days, then 10mg for two days and stop. 

Each tablet is 5mg. 

I went to GP and they said 84 tablets are maximum they can prescribe, so for remaining tablets I need a new prescription and to pay another £9 quid.

Is such thing possible, sounds like rip off to me. 

And another question is that nobody told me that I was given not enough medicine for my course (I discovered by accident). 

Now, if I had not checked it, I would run out of medicine half way through my course and wouldn't be able to get new prescription for two days (that's what GP receptionist told me). 

So I wonder who would be responsible for ruining my treatment (GP, Chemist or treating doctor)? 

Would very much appreciate responses.

Thank you.

zzz.jpg

I'm pretty certain that if you had seen my GP (face to face) and been to my pharmacist, then both of them would have advised you that you needed a repeat prescription to complete the prescribed course.  As this is an electronic scrip, did you actually have a physical consultation with the GP (which is when I would have expected them to have told you)?  In any case, I would have expected someone at the pharmacy to warn you when you picked the medication up.  (It's poor behaviour all round really.  I'm better than average at figures and I had to do the calculation to see I wouldn't even be able to complete the first two weeks of the course!).

You could complain to both your GP practice and the pharmacy, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth, unless you want them to treat the next patient in a similar situation better.

Your pharmacist cannot override what’s written on the prescriptions, if it says 84 then it’s 84 regardless of the instructions below. 

Likewise your GP may be constrained by limits on the quantity of medication they can prescribe at the first consultation. It’s not unusual to see medication supply limited to ensure that the patient will return so that the GP can review progress. 

I’d strongly encourage you to make a follow up appointment to ensure that your treatment is not interrupted. 

In terms of ruining treatment or ripping people off, no. Even at £18 a consultation and supply of medication is an absolute steal. Your MP is the person to take issue with in relation to prescription costs, not your GP or Pharmacist. 

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.